Tags
ruger
18K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Deputy195 
G
#1 ·
Tim Schlosser
(3/16/02 10:35:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Ruger Old Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
First poster here looking for some info on my new toy. I just bought the Old Army after salivating over it for about five years. I've never fired one, but have been into italian .36's for several years.
Anybody shoot these fine pistols? Any tricks or tweaks? Any good sources for accessories? My big question is, do the conicals shoot better than the roundballs? Thanks for any assistance.

Tim

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(5/20/02 9:45:28 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger Old Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Tim and welcome
a buddy of mine has an Old Army and his experience was that conicals shoot better than roundballs, don't know of any tips/tweaks just that they are a well finished gun out of the box

walter in florida
(5/20/02 7:18:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger Old Army
I do not know anything abut black power Cap and Ball pistols but the Sportman's Guide Catalog had one for sale a few years ago. It was as the Worlds strongest black power pistol. Recommended load 20 Grams BP,142 Gr. lead ball = 800 F.P.S with 200 Ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Tim, I think you got the best one one the market.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
does it have the brass frame?

I purchased a 1858 new army 2 year's ago (pietta)in .44 cal.

I found out at 25 yard's the round ball's were more accurate .The (buffalo)
ballet's! Shoot about 1.50-2.0 lowwer,but the group's were close to the same.with in a 1/2" or so.25 gr. fffg.t-7

I herd of putting cornmeal over the powder charge to bring the ball's/ballet's
closer to the end of the cylinder's.to were they just shave the tip of the ball's.
do not reckamend this though.

I know cabela's have some thing to go between the powder/bullet.
I think they are called (pistol wad's) they are made out of wool.they reduce fouling,and bring the bullet closer to the end of the cylinder.no lube needed.
for all .31 cal.to .45 cal. b.p. only $5.49 list price. per 100!

#3 ·
I have a early Ruger old army that I have not shot for awhile now.But when I loaded the chambers I would fill them almost full of tripple f and press the ball down as far as I could.Iwould then twist the cylinder until it shaved the lead off off the ball so it would turn okay.Very accurate and powerfull.Ruger uses the same frame on their 44 magnums.You cannot overload these fine handguns.
Danny

#4 ·
Is it the stainless verson ?

#5 ·
Hi Al,
No its a early 1970s blued model,but I have taken real good care of it.Just some blue wear at the muzzel from the holster.
Regards
Danny:)

#6 ·
Hiya Danny,

I bought one of those for my dad on father's day back in the '70s. When he died it returned to my possession.

It has never been fired but the cylinder has been turned and has left a light line. It has the brass trigger guard and such.

I keep thinkin' I need to git off my tail and shoot the SOB. May this summer.

#7 ·
It is a very accurate pistol even with me filling it to the brim.The only problem doing so is the capson the nipples from the other chambers are gone after the first shot.I guess a person would be better off using a 20 grain of tripple f as recomended.However I use double F.Take it out for some practice.Here in West Va we can deer hunt with them.Take Care
Danny

#9 ·
Hi Berto,
Ifmemory serves me correct,Ruger had a modified cylinder that you could swap out and shoot 45Long Colts cowboy ammo in.I think I may do some research and see if they still make them.Remember the Eastwood movie where at the end when he was getting ready to shoot the bad sheriff(the Lawman guy)he was taken and replacing the cylinder as he walked.I think it was High Plains Drifter?Anyway he was a preacher ghost that got some twang from the mining camp woman.I did not think ghost could kill,more less have sex?Anyway I will keep you posted if I find those cyclinders.
Regards
Danny:)

#11 ·
I have just found out Ruger has discontinued making the Old Army 45!! Iam completely devastated!! I have had girls hurt my feelings in my life, but this is just heartbreaking!!! I have always wanted one! If anyone is selling a Ruger Old Army 45 Blued, fixed sights, 5 1/2 barrle let me know! I have written Ruger to try and find out why they stopped making the greatest, most reliable gun ever made... Iam boycotting Ruger from here on until I have my Ruger Old Army 45!!

#12 ·
I just noticed that too :( . I was browsing for info on the Vaquaro (picking one up tomorrow) when I ran across a reference to the Old Army being discontinued! :eek: . That's too bad. I was always thinking of picking one up someday. I have one of those 'cheap' Cabela's Remington '58 clones which shoots ok ... but was always thinking of the 'Cadillac' of black power revolver.... the Ruger Old Army stainless.

#13 ·
Went and did a little surfing tonite and Cabellas has several old army pistols.They even have one with the 45lc cylinder and the black powder one.Dixie Gun Works has the Vaquaro new.Hope this helps some?
Regards
Danny

#15 ·
I have two rugers one stainless and one blued and shoot them in competitons.
They are the best blackpowder revolvers hands down. I use round balls .457 / 25 grns. fff goex blackpowder and cornmeal as filler. If you want to shoot at targets use round balls. If you want to hit something with a punch use conicals. Hope you enjoy it, :)

#17 ·
New fella here, Ive got the SS old Army, shoot it often and love it. I have good results with the round balls .457. I used .454's but the balls would loosten up after a couple of shots. Also have the 45LC cylinder conversion, got it from Tayler and Co. Takes some time to reload as you have to remove cylinder and back plate to reload, but fun cowboy action is worth the time. I use 30 grn powder, fff goex Ruger sais you can overload that gun ifn you filled the barrel with powder. (dont try it though)

#18 ·
what I dont understand is why dont they make the roa any longer? I dont own one but ive seen pictures of them and they look like well made guns and they seem to be extremely popular with the bp crowd. I know I would buy a new one for sure. Seems like there is a big market for this firearm.

#19 ·
One would speculate -- that one being me -- that it is no longer
profitable enough to remain in production. It appears that way
on the surface, but who knows? Perhaps a new model will
supersede it (I doubt it), or perhaps they are suspending production
until demand builds. One thing is sure, though. If they were
flying off the shelves, they would still be in production.

Larry in Michigan

#20 ·
Greetings; I here am new. I just found this forum.

I did not know Ruger discontinued the Old Army; I'm glad I got mine.

I enjoy shooting mine but I prefer using Goex instead of Pyrodex. It is becoming more difficult to obtain Goes. I recently purchased 2 pounds for 5 bucks (the guy didn't need it anymore and just wanted to get rid of it).

Also, it seems to me that Ruger should have used a larger grip frame on such a large gun. I replaced the grip frame on one of mine with a larger, brass frame. It handles a lot better.

#24 · (Edited)
I am curious to know what ya'll do in regard to loading your ROA.

I use corn meal as a filler and I use Crisco over the ball.

I have always used fff Goex. Does anyone use ffff in their OA? If so, how does it work?
I use 45 grains of Tripple 7 FFFG powder with a felt wad and .457 round ball. The felt wad protects the other chambers in the cylinder from simultaneous discharge which eliminates the need to use Crisco or other lubricants such as Bore Butter. You have to seat the bullet as far down as possible in the cylinder so the bullet will clear as the cylinder passes the barrel. At 25 yards I can put six round balls in 1/2 dollar group, off hand. The pistol does not seem to loose any accuracy. I know this is likely the top limit of what you can load the pistol. But I am known for doing everything to the outer limits

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.