1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ruger Old Army

Discussion in 'Black Powder Shooting / Muzzleloaders / Handguns' started by Guest, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Trouble 45-70

Trouble 45-70 New Member

I have seen some NIB at several of the recent gun shows.
  2. Southern Boy

Southern Boy New Member

New fella here, Ive got the SS old Army, shoot it often and love it. I have good results with the round balls .457. I used .454's but the balls would loosten up after a couple of shots. Also have the 45LC cylinder conversion, got it from Tayler and Co. Takes some time to reload as you have to remove cylinder and back plate to reload, but fun cowboy action is worth the time. I use 30 grn powder, fff goex Ruger sais you can overload that gun ifn you filled the barrel with powder. (dont try it though)
  3. tiberius10721

tiberius10721 New Member

what I dont understand is why dont they make the roa any longer? I dont own one but ive seen pictures of them and they look like well made guns and they seem to be extremely popular with the bp crowd. I know I would buy a new one for sure. Seems like there is a big market for this firearm.
  4. Larry in Michigan

Larry in Michigan New Member

One would speculate -- that one being me -- that it is no longer
    profitable enough to remain in production. It appears that way
    on the surface, but who knows? Perhaps a new model will
    supersede it (I doubt it), or perhaps they are suspending production
    until demand builds. One thing is sure, though. If they were
    flying off the shelves, they would still be in production.

Larry in Michigan
  5. daveinvegas

daveinvegas New Member

Greetings; I here am new. I just found this forum.

I did not know Ruger discontinued the Old Army; I'm glad I got mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I enjoy shooting mine but I prefer using Goex instead of Pyrodex. It is becoming more difficult to obtain Goes. I recently purchased 2 pounds for 5 bucks (the guy didn't need it anymore and just wanted to get rid of it).

Also, it seems to me that Ruger should have used a larger grip frame on such a large gun. I replaced the grip frame on one of mine with a larger, brass frame. It handles a lot better.
  6. daveinvegas

daveinvegas New Member

I am curious to know what ya'll do in regard to loading your ROA.

I use corn meal as a filler and I use Crisco over the ball.

I have always used fff Goex. Does anyone use ffff in their OA? If so, how does it work?
  7. wpage

wpage Active Member

Nice book ends!
  8. daveinvegas

daveinvegas New Member

Thanks.

They also function as loading stands. Solid oak, you know.
  9. Deputy195

Deputy195 New Member

I use 45 grains of Tripple 7 FFFG powder with a felt wad and .457 round ball. The felt wad protects the other chambers in the cylinder from simultaneous discharge which eliminates the need to use Crisco or other lubricants such as Bore Butter. You have to seat the bullet as far down as possible in the cylinder so the bullet will clear as the cylinder passes the barrel. At 25 yards I can put six round balls in 1/2 dollar group, off hand. The pistol does not seem to loose any accuracy. I know this is likely the top limit of what you can load the pistol. But I am known for doing everything to the outer limits
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  10. blacksea7

blacksea7 New Member

If anyone is still looking for an Old Army, I've got one, New In Box, never taken out of the plastic. If you're interested, email me.
  11. Western Man

Western Man New Member

Contrary to widespread rumors, the ROA is still being produced in limited quantities. A fair number were produced in 2009. This has been discussed at www.rugerforum.com.
  12. ROA Hunter

ROA Hunter New Member

Howdy Deputy,

I am like you I shoot my ROA with hot loads, 40/45 and 50 grains of powder.
    I also use Conical Bullets like the LEE 220 Grain Bullet, REAL 200/250 Grain and Buffallo Ballett as well. For $50.00 Clements customs guns with drill(Bore) out extra metal in the cylinder giving the shooter 5 to 10 grains more capacity of powder, Classic Ball Six also offers a extra cylinder for the ROA.
    A question for you, Is your ROA a Fixed sighted model or the older adjustable sighter model, Blue or Stainless?
    I shoot better with fixed sighs than adjustable.
  13. redwing carson

redwing carson Former Guest

I like the Lee .456 bullet. I run these thru a lube and sizer RCBS. The lube is SPG so no need for grease or wads. I load 35 grs of Wano 3F very accurate out to long ranges. I have tried shooting wheel weight lead which worked OK, except it over stressed the center rod and bent it forcing the hard bullets into the chambers. The good news Midway Supply stocks center pins for the ROA.

RC
  14. JamesV

JamesV New Member

I have two ROA stainless. Both will shoot a 2" group at 50 yrds with round balls. Haven't tried the conicals but I am told they shoot better than the roundballs. I use Goex FFF.
  15. Deputy195

Deputy195 New Member

My current ROA is stainless 7.5 inch, adjustable sights. I just started casting conical bullets and anxious to shoot them and compare the accuracy. Glad to hear that you enjoy shooting the conicals hope I have as much luck as you. I have heard that loading conicals is a bit tricky; have to be careful to get is seated properly. Oh well it will be a good learning experience. Thanks for the info about the cylinder, I may just send it in to have it bored for the additional powder.