Tags
ruger
18K views 29 replies 19 participants last post by  Deputy195 
G
#1 ·
Tim Schlosser
(3/16/02 10:35:54 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del All Ruger Old Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all,
First poster here looking for some info on my new toy. I just bought the Old Army after salivating over it for about five years. I've never fired one, but have been into italian .36's for several years.
Anybody shoot these fine pistols? Any tricks or tweaks? Any good sources for accessories? My big question is, do the conicals shoot better than the roundballs? Thanks for any assistance.

Tim

the real fredneck
V.I.P. Member
(5/20/02 9:45:28 am)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger Old Army
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Tim and welcome
a buddy of mine has an Old Army and his experience was that conicals shoot better than roundballs, don't know of any tips/tweaks just that they are a well finished gun out of the box

walter in florida
(5/20/02 7:18:05 pm)
Reply | Edit | Del Re: Ruger Old Army
I do not know anything abut black power Cap and Ball pistols but the Sportman's Guide Catalog had one for sale a few years ago. It was as the Worlds strongest black power pistol. Recommended load 20 Grams BP,142 Gr. lead ball = 800 F.P.S with 200 Ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. Tim, I think you got the best one one the market.

See less See more
#27 ·
I use 45 grains of Tripple 7 FFFG powder with a felt wad and .457 round ball. The felt wad protects the other chambers in the cylinder from simultaneous discharge which eliminates the need to use Crisco or other lubricants such as Bore Butter. You have to seat the bullet as far down as possible in the cylinder so the bullet will clear as the cylinder passes the barrel. At 25 yards I can put six round balls in 1/2 dollar group, off hand. The pistol does not seem to loose any accuracy. I know this is likely the top limit of what you can load the pistol. But I am known for doing everything to the outer limits
Howdy Deputy,

I am like you I shoot my ROA with hot loads, 40/45 and 50 grains of powder.
I also use Conical Bullets like the LEE 220 Grain Bullet, REAL 200/250 Grain and Buffallo Ballett as well. For $50.00 Clements customs guns with drill(Bore) out extra metal in the cylinder giving the shooter 5 to 10 grains more capacity of powder, Classic Ball Six also offers a extra cylinder for the ROA.
A question for you, Is your ROA a Fixed sighted model or the older adjustable sighter model, Blue or Stainless?
I shoot better with fixed sighs than adjustable.

#28 ·
I like the Lee .456 bullet. I run these thru a lube and sizer RCBS. The lube is SPG so no need for grease or wads. I load 35 grs of Wano 3F very accurate out to long ranges. I have tried shooting wheel weight lead which worked OK, except it over stressed the center rod and bent it forcing the hard bullets into the chambers. The good news Midway Supply stocks center pins for the ROA.

RC

#30 ·
My current ROA is stainless 7.5 inch, adjustable sights. I just started casting conical bullets and anxious to shoot them and compare the accuracy. Glad to hear that you enjoy shooting the conicals hope I have as much luck as you. I have heard that loading conicals is a bit tricky; have to be careful to get is seated properly. Oh well it will be a good learning experience. Thanks for the info about the cylinder, I may just send it in to have it bored for the additional powder.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.