The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger Old Model 3 Screw 41 Mag

Tags
ruger
7K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  sting75ray 
#1 · (Edited)
I horse traded a Ruger new model 50 year anniversary (new and unfired in the box) Blackhawk 357 mag for this Ruger old model 3 screw 41 Mag about 5 years ago. The man was the original owner. He said one day he went to the store, bought milk, eggs, smokes, and this gun. He went home, shot three cylinders through it, cleand it and stuck it in his safe. Then he threw the box away. It has only had 12 rounds fired through it, and the serial # is 92XX. I know what it is worth but have no plans on selling it. I have one old dude that would pay me a premium for it, but mentally, I've pretty much married it. Go figure. Jim

#2 ·
I have a super blackhawk 41mag 6in barrel I have had since the early 80s that I used to hog hunt with. It was my absolute favorite revolver of all time and will be in my safe when I am gone. You have a fine specimen there and I would hang on to it if I were you.

#4 ·
Highboy-
I have the same Ruger w/ a ser. # of 9073 which dates it to 1967. I purchased it back in '75 from Jack's Gun Shop in Petoskey, Mi. when I was stationed up that way in the A.F. Gave $200 for it w/ a complete Lawrence holster rig, a Lyman 460 sizer/lubricator, set of Lyman dies, a 4 cavity Lyman bullet mold, and 250 rnds of brass, and 150 rnds of ammo. I've enjoyed this gun very much over the yrs. and is quite accurate out to 60-75 yrds. Shot several bucks w/ it also between living in Michigan, and now in Iowa the past 35 yrs. Thanks to the Iowa legislature for passing a handgun hunting law in 1999...this Ruger is my go to gun for deer season, along with a couple 20 ga. shotguns. I've been handloading for it since I bought, and really like the .41 magnum caliber. I did add a set of Mustang Zebra wood grips to it 30 yrs ago, to help with grip size, and it really did make a big difference on handling. The Blackhawk is a great gun, and whatever you do, don't return it to Ruger to have it upgraded for the transfer bar trigger upgrade, leave it in original condition, and enjoy a well built and potent handgun.

#6 ·
Has anyone sent one back, lately?

I also have a 6 1/2" OM 41. Back around '81 I wrote 'em and told 'em that the silver solder holding the ejector rod housing screw lug to the barrel had let go, and I would like them to resolder it, as it would come back with a factory blue job, and not whatever kind of cold-blue touchup Joe the Gunsmith might do.

They said they would be glad to fix it, no charge, and while they had it they would do this conversion which would make it much safer.

I wrote 'em back and said I did not want no stinkin' conversion, but just wanted the lug fixed.

They wrote back and said that if the gun came in, they would convert it, but they would return the old parts.

So I sent it in, they fixed it, they converted it, they sent it back with the old parts and I "reverted" it. Throwed them new parts in the trash.

I have read, on other boards, that they no longer return your old parts, and if you send it in you are just SOL. Howsomever, their website still says they return the old parts.

http://ruger.com/pdf/safetyOfferAd.pdf
Second paragraph, third sentence.

So, has anyone done it lately, and do you know for sure if they still send you old parts back or not?

#7 ·
Always nice to hear from you Alpo. I do know that they do keep record of what has been converted. As for mine, it went from one safe to mine. If it breaks, I have other 3 screw parts and a great gun smith. I do wonder though if you get your old parts back. I actuall collect these old 3 screws. I buy and sell alot, but the 3 screws stay with me. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.