Ruger Old Model Single Six

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by SGT Foster, Jul 20, 2010.

1. SGT Foster

SGT Foster New Member

I have a Ruger Three Screw, I contacted Ruger about the pistol to find out the age by serial number they said it was a 1967 model. Ruger also said that when it left NH in April 1967 it was blued, but the pistol I have has a nickel finish on it, with a gold cylinder and a gold barrel, and the numbers on the cylinder match the last three numbers of the serial number.

This is my question has anyone ever heard of this, and what is it worth. Ruger said they never made any such single six that was nickel plated with gold cylinder and barrel.

Thanks
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

This is a hard one to answer, simply because the answer is so harsh.

OM Single Six, in average condition, runs between 3 and 4 hundred dollars. Normal reblued gun, maybe 150 to 200. Buggered up like you describe though, is hard to judge. If you were offering it to me, for example, I'd be thinking, "Gonna take about 250 to get that junk removed and it reblued, and then it still always be a 'reblue', so, maybe a hundred bucks." And that would be a generous offer, as I would now have 350 in it, which would be way more than it would be worth.

Sorry. I'm sure that's not what you wanted to hear.
  3. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sounds like someone tried to make some kind of presentation gun out of it. i agree with alpo on value, to me, not much. if you know a gunsmith that owes you a favor or two you might get it refinished cheap and have a good shooter.

i've seen all original old models sell for 250.
  4. muddober

muddober Active Member

If the gun looks good to you, and it must or wouldn't have bought it, just enjoy it. Its collector value is long since gone but who cares, if you like it that is all that matters. Some of the most beautiful and ugliest guns I have seen were the brain child of some artistic person and art is in the eyes of the be-holder. Pictures would be nice.

Ron
  5. Jim K

Jim K New Member

I agree with muddober. Like it? Live with it. Don't like it? Sell it or trade it for what you can get for it. But it is not some rare collectible, just someone's idea of what he wanted.

Jim
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    if its a good shooter then run what you brung,the value is what ever they will pay.remember beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.i would say 200.00-250.00 i have kept one in my truck for over thirty years and it will still will shoot with the new ones. old semperfi
  7. SGT Foster

SGT Foster New Member

Here are some pics of the pistol, looking at it it does not appear to have ever been blued if it was they did a really good job getting all the blueing off of it.

Attached Files:

8. RJay

RJay Active Member

Looks nice, especially the nice soft edges, corners and the bevels around the screws.
  9. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

personally i'd shoot that rascal. i dont know about the gold finish. but i wonder if it is applied over the silver? if so i wonder if you could remove the gold and just have a silver gun.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

If RJay's post was made with a sarcastic tinge, I agree with him...whoever did the polish and plate job on that SS sure did a good job of killing all of the nice sharp lines on the pistol. Nearly every edge and screw hole is rounded off from overzealous buffing wheel abuse.

Value...it's a shooter so value as others have posted above. If it's a good shooter and you don't mind the finish, keep it as-is. If it's a good shooter and you'd like to get it blued, then you might be able to crisp up those lines a bit with some carefult work before it gets a new blue job...I kinda doubt it though since those edges are rounded off big time.

For how nice and crisp an OM SingleSix should look, check out the hi-res picture of this 4-digit serial Single Six...
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Ruger_Single_Six_flickr_szuppo.jpg
    Except for the early "flatgate" style loading gate, this is about what your gun would probably have looked coming from the factory.
    The owner, szuppo, used to hang around on the RugerForum.com website a few years back. Don't know if he's still online or not.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010