Ruger or Remington

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by RunningOnMT, Feb 3, 2012.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Has anybody had the opportunity to make a comparison of the relative quality and value of their 1911's?
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Ruger. better parts, better fit. Some of the remingtons we've had have been consistently low at 25 feet. Ruger uses Novak sights, Remington is using something odd that no one makes anything for.
  3. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Have not seen a ruger yet. But I would think it would be better quality.
  4. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I have looked at the Remington and I was not overly impressed with it. I have not been able to find a Ruger at any of the shops around here. I have read several gun magazines and they all say good things about the Ruger, but I guess that is what they are paid to do. If I were to buy a .45 1911, I think it would be a Ruger. I have ordered the little Browning 1911-22 at my local shop but if they get a Ruger in before the Browning, I might have to change what I am getting.
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

..not that this is helping/adding to the OT but, with rugers, their coming out with alot of new stuff...where's it all at? I liked to never have got my single ten, then the SP101, in this area anyways. (sorry for driffting off the thread)
  6. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

In pictures the Ruger sure LOOKS like a high quality piece but I've heard elsewhere some good reviews of the Remington, and I also like the brand. I think I'll have to put both on my wish list. Now if I can only figure out where to find the Ruger.
  7. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Definately like the look of the Ruger....but then again they may be only "myths"......
  8. Joelkw

Joelkw New Member

I am thinking that Ruger 1911 is just playing with our heads, that it really does'nt exist.:eek:
  9. hd49

hd49 New Member

I have a friend that bought the Ruger last week. We went to the range together, and I had a chance to shoot it. I think I want one now!
  10. MarsStar

MarsStar New Member

Yep.. they exist. :) And a darned fine shootin' iron!

[​IMG]
  11. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice, and nice to have finally seen one!
  12. Python

Python Former Guest

I asked the owner of the gun shop in my neighborhood if he had gotten any Ruger 1911's in yet. He said no, because Ruger was having issues with them and that there wouldn't be any further orders shipped until they gets the bugs worked out. Don't know if it's true, just passing it along.
  13. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

As many issues as Ruger had copying pistol designs from Keltec, I don't know that I want their copy of a 1911 until they get the bugs worked out. Maybe third generation or so. :rolleyes:
  14. MarsStar

MarsStar New Member

All I have heard is there have been a few unhappy reports of cosmetic issues. I haven't heard anything negative about them mechanically, and mine has functioned flawlessly since I got it.

In the interest of full disclosure: I'm not a 1911 expert by any standard, although I've shot a variety of 1911's over the years. I'm also a 45+ year Ruger owner/shooter, (Mostly SA revolvers), and have 60+ Rugers in my arsenal along with some other non-Ruger pieces. The SR 1911 seems (to me) as solid a piece as anyone could want for the price. (MSRP 799)

The negatives to me are: 1 - The grip safety doesn't match the quality of the rest of the firearm IMO. It's functional, but feels kinda rattletrap compared to others I've handled & fired. 2 - I wasn't wild about the checkered wood grips either, and elected to put a smooth pair on it. (Not wild about these ones either, but I'll keep tryin' until something feels better!)

Other than those two items, I'm 100% satisfied with this weapon. It's extremely accurate & repeatable.
  15. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

LOL, well said. :lmao2: