Ruger P-85

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by thiggy, Nov 4, 2003.

1. thiggy

thiggy New Member

Greetings, I'm a newbie to this forum, and If my post is in the wrong spot, I apologize.

I am interested in selling a pistol that I have had for several years and I am looking for guidance in pricing it. It is a 9mm Ruger P-85 in blue - no visible wear. I traded for it used a few years ago. It appears to be in perfect condition. I have shot about one box through it. It has a belt-clip holster and two mags. What would be a reasonable price to ask for this firearm?

I have about 1/2 case of Chinese (Norinco, I think) 9 mm ball ammo to sell also. Would I probably do better selling the gun separately from the ammo, or as a package deal?:confused:
  2. gpostal

gpostal Former Guest

welcome to the forum thiggy

someone that has a current blue book will be along soon , after you get a price that you like i would list it in our buy/sell/trade forum , i myself would list the ammo seperate
  3. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

thiggy;
    Welcome to the forum.

I would sell it seperate.
    Sell the ammo local, unless you know about shipping it. That can get expensive.

CG will be along sometime to give you his price. He says the "book" prices are a bunch of hooie.
  4. thiggy

thiggy New Member

How does one sell a firearm through the internet? Is it permissable to mail a gun, or is there some other method for an individual with no FFL to legally ship a gun to a purchaser?
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2003
  5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE New Member

Who ever buys it must send you a copy of their local dealers license. Then you ship it to the dealer...take the copy of the license with you when you ship it. UPS reps want to make sure it is actually going to a dealer. ;)
  6. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Thiggy.....welcome to TFF.

Your Ruger P-85 in excellent condition is worth about $300.
  7. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

And here's a good example. Both Fjestad (Blue Book) and the Standard Catalog list truly excellent used P85's at $300 give or take $5.

Check what they are REALLY selling for. You can buy brand-new-in-the-box blue P85's right now on Gunbroker for less than $300. I've seen them at gun shows in the Houston area for $269.99. Used, excellent, stainless P85's with goodies have brought $275 with single-bidder action only. Blued guns with high capacity magazines routinely sell in the $225-$235 range.

The Ruger P-series are good guns, but they are considered 'entry level' and the resale value is terribly low. This is because they are so heavily discounted as new guns, because they are 'entry level.' It's a vicious circle.

The various gun books (and I like Standard Catlaog better than the Blue Book of Gun Values) are great references and give you an idea of ballpark figures, but you HAVE to do some research into actual selling prices to get a realistic idea of what's selling for what.

I'm sure you could get $300 for an excellent Ruger P85, in an over-the-counter private transaction to a buyer that either wants that particular gun or simply does not know what they can be purchased for. Other than that, it's not happening.
  8. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

Yep, nobody wants them. Here:s why:

This is a well made, dependable pistol, but is very unpopular because of its huge size. The .45 version is somewhat more in demand because the large size is acceptable for that cartridge. As for value, I see them go for as little as $200, and never more than $250. I guess an average price would be about $225. As for selling it on the Internet, I don't think anyone will pay $30 or $40 shipping on such a low priced gun.
  9. thiggy

thiggy New Member

Thanks all for your comments and info. Thiggy