Ruger P 95 FTE solved.

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kda, Feb 2, 2010.

1. kda

kda New Member

This post is for those of you that were following part of this thread:

Ruger P Series Handguns

specifically Post #21 where I begin to mention the issues my friend was having with his brand new P-95.

I had not seen that weapon for a while as he quit bringing it to the range and didn't talk about it much. A couple of days ago he brought the weapon to a shoot and I noted it was still giving him FTE (Failure To Eject) issues irregardless of which magazine he used, which ammo he fired or how full he loaded the magazine.

I was outside the "shooting" area visiting with the range supervisor when I mentioned my friends FTE issues. He watched a moment and said that it was probably because he was holding it all wrong. Sort of "limp wristing" for Ruger ...

I suppose limp wristing a Ruger P-95 is possible because of the Polymer Frame which makes the weapon similar to a Glock which does require a firm grip.

While my friend was having no issues with his Glocks ... he did have this bad habit of holding pistols, including the Ruger, in a position where the weapon was centered directly in front of his face. He took a stance where both elbows were partially and equally flexed so that both arms acted like shock absorbers.

In short, rather than locking his elbows and letting the weapon take the recoil thus forcing the slide to go all the way back (and ejecting the spent round and loading a new round), he was using his elbows to take much of the recoil. Having nothing solid against which to work, the slide was only going half way back after he shot.

I went back into the shooting area and told him he had to start locking his elbows. He did and then he shot an entire box of ammo from full magazines without a single FTE or other issue.

It appears this problem is solved. I don't know how many times I tried to help him with his stance and grip ... and he would correct both for a few shots or for as long as he thought I was watching him; then back to his bad habits. I had pretty much given up helping him. This time, with advice from a third party, it seems he finally did get the message.

Sorry this post is long but I wanted to clear the record. I have a P-95 that has never given me issues like this and was perplexed as to what was going on with his new weapon ... but at least it now seems certain the pistol itself had nothing at all to do with the problem. Good news for those of us who still like our Ruger P series pistols.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

usually these factors wouldn't be the cause of a FTE. FTF yes, FTE no. : )
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Actually, locking your elbows contributes to poor muscle control and poor accuracy with MOST shooters. Encourage your friend to tone his muscles and grip more firmly. The law enforcement training I received was STAUNCHLY against locked elbows as with pretty much any other training series I've viewed. It sounds like the 'limp wristing' comes from limp muscles. Like I say, nicely encourage him to grip more firmly and begin toning his arms in some fashion. :)
  4. kda

kda New Member

This one made me laugh. This guy owns a company that installs tile (all kinds of floor and wall tile). Ever lifted a box of floor tile? Every lifted and carried several hundred boxes in an afternoon, not to mention mixing and carrying mortar, etc.

I really don't think muscle tone or limp muscles is his problem. Flexing his elbows and absorbing the recoil was his problem. All fixed now. Problem solved. But thanks for the chuckle. :)