The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger P series handguns

Tags
ruger
19K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  johnlives4christ 
#1 ·
i have owned a ruger p95 and i liked it a lot. im considering getting another one since the price is less than 300 most of the time. so the other day i went to a gunshow and got to handle a ruger p93 and i fell in love with it. it's basically the same shape and design except that it's frame is aluminum instead of plastic.

so i reckon my question is what does everyone think about the rugers?

any info regarding these guns will be appreciated.

~john

#27 ·
Those Rugers are built like tanks. I don't ever recall ever lubing any of my guns to the point where they are leaking oil as I fire them. Just a clean feed ramp was all my P94 ever needed to have a great day of shooting. Even after 2 or 300 rounds with nothing but an outside wipe down every now and again that gun ran like a Swiss watch.

#30 ·
i would say that lack of luberication would have atleast contributed to his problems. when guns are sent from the factory they have a light coat of oil on them to keep them from rusting.. i would expect that the oil used is bought with cost in mind, and that it is used sparingly to save cost. i would also expect that the guns set for an undetermined amount of time from lube to consumer. maybe a week or maybe a year.
My friend brought his P95 to my house yesterday so I could show him how to field strip it and clean it. I was surprised ... it had plenty of lubrication including lots on the slide rails ... more than I normally use on either my Rugers or my Glocks. Not enough to be a problem and the rails and other mechanisms were still nice and clean. I no longer think lubrication could have been part of his feed issue using a full 15 round clip. Still a mystery. Hopefully it will work through it for him. First time I've ever seen a Ruger pistol that didn't function perfectly.

#31 ·
My friend brought his P95 to my house yesterday so I could show him how to field strip it and clean it. I was surprised ... it had plenty of lubrication including lots on the slide rails ... more than I normally use on either my Rugers or my Glocks. Not enough to be a problem and the rails and other mechanisms were still nice and clean. I no longer think lubrication could have been part of his feed issue using a full 15 round clip. Still a mystery. Hopefully it will work through it for him. First time I've ever seen a Ruger pistol that didn't function perfectly.
well do you reckon it was possible he oiled it some time after he shot it?

im interested to see the outcome of his problems, and to hear some more range reports "hint hint"

#32 · (Edited)
I had a Ruger P89S and used it in a course for my CCW, I did not clean the pistol during the entire course to see if it would jam, we ended up shooting just over 700 rounds by the end of the course and it never failed me. I ended up giving the pistol to my Father in law. I have had my CCW for about 15 years now and have carried a Beretta cheeta .380, a Browning High Power and a Colt 1991 modified.

I always told myself I would not buy a plastic gun or a gun without a hammer. Well I went back on my word and this morning purchased my newest carry gun, Yep a Ruger although its not the P series I like it a lot. I bought a SR9, about the only thing I dont like about the gun is the mag release is hard to push, I will tear it apart and buff it out some and grease it to make is work smooth.

This thing holds 17 rounds and to feel the grip you would swear its a single stack pistol.

#34 ·
i tried one of the sr9's in the store, but havent gotten to shoot one yet. heck there are many i havent shot yet :(

#35 · (Edited)
If it makes you feel any better I havent shot it yet either. I went off of articles and off of a bunch of Youtube video reviews of the gun and bought it, the only thing that seems to get knocked on the pistol is the mag release. To be honest I had ulterior motives when I bought it, I was hoping the wife would want it also but I knew if she didn't I would be happy with it as well.

When I met my wife she had never fired a gun so naturally I bought her one as a gift. I bought her a S&W 3914 and have tried about everything under the sun to get her to let me have that pistol with the response being the same everytime NO (well thats the kind version anyway). She didnt care for the grips on the S&W so I put hogues on it and put a hammer with a spur on it. I have offered her Glock, Sig, Ruger,Browning, Colt and Beretta in trade for it, its just not gonna happen :D

#36 ·
well it's like borrowing a friends car... borrow the gun and return it empty :D

#37 ·
well do you reckon it was possible he oiled it some time after he shot it?

im interested to see the outcome of his problems, and to hear some more range reports "hint hint"
No chance he oiled it. He didn't know how to take it apart to get to some of the spots that were properly oiled. As for range report ... I know he wants to go shooting again but with the price of ammo and range fees, his finances have him on a relatively short leash and we only get out every couple of weeks.

I'll keep you guys posted because I am watching to see how this works out for him:
1. Because I talked him into the original purchase.
2. Because this is not normal for any Ruger I've seen and I am anxious to see it work itself through this.

But he seems pretty unconcerned. With the right ammo and clips loaded 12 rounds or less ... it is just fine and quite reliable so far.

#40 ·
I just bought a P95 yesterday so I am researching the P series now.I have uncovered that the P95 is basically the bottom line of ruger pistols,and that in 2005 they changed the design of the P95 to incorporate a Picatinny rail,which is like the one I got.I know not much about Rugers,I just heard they were good and I made an impulse buy because I convinced myself it's got to be better than Taurus.

Attachments

#43 ·
As to lubing I clean all my firearms after a range session. With the P94 I field strip, clean and apply a light coat of oil with a rag or patch. I don't drip oil anywhere. I have never had any issues with reliability or FTF. I purchased two additional factory 11 round 40 mags after I purchased the firearm and rotate them each year as I keep one mag loaded in the gun and one extra loaded beside it on the nightstand.

#44 ·
Hello guys, ive been dealing with rifles for years.. but i just got my first pistol ever, it is a Ruger P95, I was just wondering what grain of ammo i should shoot, what brand, does brass vs, steel casing make a big difference, etc... what works best with this gun, i know nothing about hand guns, if yall could help me out and get my foot in the door id appreciate it very much, thank you.

#47 ·
I just put a down payment on a P95 brand new for $299.00. I am a revolver man and have a Ruger GP100 and a Ruger Police Service Six. They are solid guns. The P95 will be one of my few semi-autos I own. I will be a happy if the P95 performs as well as my two Ruger revolvers.

Thanks,
roaddog

#48 ·
I bought a P89 new and have had it for years with no problems. Bought a P90 used some time back and never had any problems with it either. I like the new models though for the fact you can mount lasers or lights on the inderneath which with mine you can't without some doings.

#49 ·
well im thinking about getting another ruger p95. always wouldnt mind a ruger p93 which looks just like it except has an aluminum frame. i'll probably buy a used one if i can find one around. seen them for 250ish in some of the local stores. has anyone had any experience with mecgar after market mags? i know ruger mags are the way to go if i can find them.

#51 ·
the trigger on the one i had wasn't as crisp or light as a 1911's, but i got used to it. there's not many guns that have a perfect trigger other then the 1911, but i cant see giving up on all of them and being a 1911 only man like some gun owners... i love all guns

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.