The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger P-series

Tags
ruger
4K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  tony stark 
#1 ·
I'm looking to add another handgun to my collection, this time a semi-auto. I'm pretty loyal to Rugers, own three of them already so I'm looking the the P series, either the P89 in 9mm or the P90 in .45. I do my own handloading and this will be strictly a range gun, so I want something accurate. Is there any noticeable difference in accuracy or range between the 9mm and .45? I've also noticed the P series doesn't have adjustable rear sights, will this be much of a problem for a target gun? I've been shooting revolvers for years but I'm pretty unfamiliar with autos. One other thing I would like explained better, the P series has options of either a manual safety or a decocker but I don't quite understand the descriptions on how they operate. How do each of these work, and is one preferable over the other?
I haven't looked at a Beretta P92 yet, do these have adjustable sights and how do they compare in price? I would like to stay around the $400 to $450 range. No plastic dishwasher safe toys either, real guns are made of metal :).

G
#2 ·
rowdyredneck said:
I haven't looked at a Beretta P92 yet, do these have adjustable sights and how do they compare in price? I would like to stay around the $400 to $450 range. No plastic dishwasher safe toys either, real guns are made of metal.
You may find it difficult to find an all steel or even an all metal auto in that price range, Rowdy, unless you go for a CZ, or, as you suggest, the Ruger. I might mention here that the P-Series Rugers are aluminum alloy frame with polycarbonate grip panels. Slide and barrel are steel, but not the frame. I have a Mod 92 Beretta and it is a fine weapon, albeit somewhat expensive. My only complaint with the 92 is that it is a VERY large handgun for the caliber it is chambered for (9mm), too large in my opinion for use as anything but a military sidearm or a range weapon. Beretta also makes virtually the same gun in .40 S&W which they call the Mod 96. Personally, I also do not like the position of the decocker on the weapon which is placed on the slide rather than the frame. My hands are not large enough to reach it easily without moving my hand out of position on the butt. As for accuracy, it shoots well, but not any better than many other 9mms I've shot that cost a good deal less.

#3 ·
A decoker serves to lower a cocked hammer only. A safety renders the gun inoperable by blocking the trigger. There can be combinations like on a Beretta 92, decockers only like Sig's and safety only (Colt 1911 or clones). Adjustable sights are needed if you are going to shoot different loads in the same gun. As for differences in accuracy between 9 and .45 it has always been said that the .45 has and edge over the Para. I'm not sure about this, especially after seeing what a Sig P-210 can do.

#5 ·
If you like Rugers, I'd just stick with a winner. The P series reminds me of the old Volvos, not the prettiest things on the road, but the most dependable.
For a gun that is going to be used at the range, I would get a gun with a manual safety. Also, you'll find that Ruger's sights will do you just fine for target shooting.
Good luck.

#6 ·
The .45ACP is a proven winner in the bullseye world. The 9mm is NOT. Dirft adjustable sights are NOT for bullseye guns. Adjustable sights are.

Ruger large caliber automatics are not known for their accuracy. The JMB 1911 guns are the proven winners in the bullseye game. Sigs are now working their way up, but are still not consistant in the winners circle. Save up your money and then look at Kimbers and Springfield 1911's. Pretty darn good right out of the box.

#8 ·
If you've 'got the hots' for a Beretta, look at the Taurus PT92-99 pistols, with the frame mounted safety; this is the original design, with the mag release on the heel of the grip, in early pistols, but in 9mm, only! PT 99 has adjustable sights, but is WAY too big for my hands, or the caliber, IMHO.
The other end of things is a Colt, or better yet, Colt Clone, on the 1911 pattern. There must be a reason that it continues to be a top competitor, at national level competition, and accuracy might well be that reason!
As Plano said, ruger has no answers, just questions, and the .45 is still the most accurate centerfire pistol cartridge going!

#9 ·
Here's my 2 cents....

I owned a Ruger P90 years ago. I was a good reliable gun. I never had jamming problems....ever!!!! For a time i trusted it as my primary weapon. The reason i traded it was because it was...in my opinion...the uglyiest thing i hade ever seen. I now regret that decision. :(
The main problem i have with buying another one is that the local prices on the P90 have come way way up lately. Almost as much as a Glock. And for me, if its almost as much as a Glock....I'll get a Glock instead.

Now, for buying a "non-Glock"... i would suggest a Kimber. Its a bit more than that Ruger... in fact its a lot more than a P90... to the tune of over $900 once you get tax on it. If i remember right anyway?? I've done so much trading and such that i get my numbers mixed up sometimes....
If you get a 1911, get the Kimber...don't mess with the cheaper brands out there, unless you like to tinker with it to get it working right. I hate tinkering...

If you need to buy used...do it. It'll work out better in the long haul.

mike
gn

#10 ·
if it is going to be a "target gun" get a single action automatic. the differance in trigger pulls between the double action mode and the single action mode can (will ) be a bear to get used to.

yes, you will need adjustable sights. it's a shame to find a fantastically accurate load, only to have it shot to an unacceptable place on the target!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.