Ruger P89 Range Report

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by gunguy25, Oct 14, 2010.

1. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

I took my Ruger P89 to the range yesterday. Its the first time i shot one in like 7 or 8 years. This target is from 7 yards with a medium rate of fire and is a 5in group. The first i tried as DA and missed the first shot, am going to practice with my snap cap and get better at the DA on it. But not to bad for a first shoot. I was using 115gr. Federal FMJ, and two handed grip. I shoot 100 rounds total threw it with no malfunctions, so am happy. I should be able to get my groups down more with practice with the trigger. I just thought I would do a range report for you guys. If there's anything i missed let me know, Thanks and God bless

Attached Files:

2. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

sweet. not to bad shooting with a new gun. bout like i do with a new gun... then i get the lead out , pun intended, and practice my trigger control a tad and pretty soon in laying waste to coke cans all over the range.

im still wanting a ruger 95. man them rugers are built tough i likem
  3. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Way to go. New gun, first time firing, five inch group, that's pretty nice all around.

First time firing a new gun I have been known after firing that first double action shot to put the second shot (which would be single action on the gun) in the trees. :D
  4. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

ruger p89s are nice guns at a sweet price nice job
  5. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your P89, and great shooting! They are good made and good shooting pistols.
  6. Mtmtnmn

Mtmtnmn New Member

I bought a P89 back in 2006. I have a hard time with the long trigger travel for one and can't hit the broad side of a barn with it for another. I am 8" high at 40'. I called Ruger who sent me another sight but it was the same height as the old one and that was all they had left. I installed a adjustable rear sight to no avail and finally I popped for a set of laser grips which solved the problem but at a terrible cost.

While I do like the 89 and think it is a great pistol I have had much better luck with S&W's.
  7. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

I have had the P89 and P90. I just added Houge grips to them and it changed the feel of the gun 100% for me...much better than the factory ones. They are great shooting guns for the money.
  8. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

I would like to see picture of ruger?
  9. Zane71464

This is an older one I have Beth....

Attached Files:

10. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

This is a pic of my old P90 with Houge grips. I used to carry it with Black Talon bullets just in case.

Attached Files:

11. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

heres the pic of mine

Attached Files:

12. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

My youngest brother had one back in the 1990's I enjoyed shooting it.He had several 15 round mags for it.Later, it only would come with 10 rounds for awhile.It's a nice looking gun to.
  13. Zane71464

...and very reliable...out of all the ?# of rounds Ive fired through mine, cant think of one malfunction.
  14. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I had a P90 45acp. I miss it. It had a good trigger for a Ruger.

Whenever i hear the song "all the girls i've loved"...i think of all the guns i have sold or traded over the years. Why O why....did i trade/sell them....whoe is me....

mike
    gn
  15. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

thank u
  16. Zane71464

I hear ya mike....I just did get rid of my P90 and have had it a long time.
    I loved that pistol, but I must have loved the one I traded for it better!:)
  17. Regular Joe

Regular Joe New Member

I bought a P-95 about 3 years ago. The extractor lost temper, and would not extract. Ruger sent a replacement. Same deal. I will NEVER EVER buy another semi auto Ruger CF.
    The good thing is that it led me to Glock.
  18. Sandman

Sandman New Member

I have had a P89 for about 15 years. It has never malfunctioned in all the time I have had it. Shoots well also. I put a Hogue slip-on grip on mine.
  19. north tex

north tex Member

I've had a P89DC for more than 15 years and won't part with it. Came with 2 15 rnd mags and I bought 2 Ram-Line 18 rounders (no longer available except used) for it. The trigger takes some getting used to but after you get it mastered it's a good shooter. I did cut that useless lanyard loop off the bottom of the grip.

Made one mistake with it... Let my wife try it out and now it's "her gun". ;)