Ruger Red Label

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gvw3, Sep 7, 2012.

1. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Anyone know anything about these OU shotguns? I was thinking about buying one. Looks clean at $900. :)
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

My son has one that he bought used in the early 1990's. I have cleaned it for him and it is indeed a nice O/U. They are bit pricey when new (for good reason) but at $900 used (if in excellent condition) kind of a deal compared to the newest ones at nearly $1500 the last time I looked.

I always wanted an O/U but was not prepared to pay for a new Browning or Ruger. The Brownings are even more expensive than the Rugers! Several years ago I shopped around for one in the under $1000 category. That year I happen to go to the Shot Show so I got to see them all in one place in one sitting, so to speak. I found two levels of O/U below $1000. The lower level is typified by Stoegers entry closer to $500, made in Europe. The next step was the CZ O/U's made in Turkey. The latter were much nicer than the former so I bought the CZ Canvasback in 12 gage. It has been an excellent gun...Very well made for fit and finish. The Ruger MAY BE only slightly better finished but it should be for $500+ more new. The CZ measures well in comparison.

In this $1000 or less market place I would choose a new CZ O/U before the used Ruger O/U unless the Ruger showed signs of little use and was near perfect.

LDBennett
  3. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

I've owned my red label trap sporter (its a shorter barrel and was discontinued in 99) since 1994. Never a bit of problems. I shot competition trap all through college with it and its still my only go to shotgun when it comes to busting clay birds. I paid 900 for mine back in 94 so thats a good deal you have.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

As already mentioned, $900 these days is a good price for a Red Label.

They're a beautiful shotgun...right up there in quality with the Beretta and Miroku Browning O/Us.
    Used to be semi-popular with the local trap shooters and I know a couple guys that had/have em. Back when I was in high school, the off-the-rack gun didn't fit me and I couldn't have afforded one anyway so stuck with my lowly old 870 for my trap shooting.

Every now and then I still get the itch for an O/U and after reading LD's recommendation of the CZs I wish I could find one locally to try out.