1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

ruger redhawk or super redhawk

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kar298, Apr 27, 2004.

1. kar298

kar298 New Member

here is my deliama i can get a brand new ruger super redhawk for $500 and the one local store right now has a used ruger redhawk for $400. both guns are in .44 magnum. i know that they are both basically the same gun but is there enough of a difference to spend the extra $100 for the super redhawk. i dont plan on adding a scope so that is no big deal that the redhawk does not come with rings.

thank
    kevin
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

If you plan on shooting reloads, I'd definately go with the Super. It is a stronger gun that the redhawk, because it has more metal on it. It's made just a little thicker. The fact that it has the additional weight also helps with recoil. I think it will hold up just a little better than the redhawk. Of course, both will probably outlast you if taken care of.

If you just plan on shooting a little and not with too hot of loads, by all means, get the redhawk. It will do all you want and more. Plus, its cheaper.

I just read what I wrote, and it sounds like I'm sayin the gun is wimpy. I'm not. The redhawk is a very strong gun, but the Super has a little more on it. I prefer the Super because of the extra weight and the ability to shoot hot reloads often without having to worry.
  3. kar298

kar298 New Member

well on the weight according to ruger the redhawk weighs 53 oz. and the super redhawk weighs 53.5 oz. no real weight difference at least that you would be able to tell. yes i will be using reloads but i wont be shooting hot loads in them. it does look like the super redhawk has more metal on it but if you compare the two different wieghts it looks like there is no real apprearent difference.
  4. Country101

Country101 Active Member

Didn't know the weights were that close, Kar. I guess it wouldn't have as much effect as I figured.

If you are planning on shooting lower end reloads, you should be fine with the redhawk. The only thing you'll have to worry about is a over-charged shell. I think I'd go with the Redhawk in you're situation. Save the extra money for the next toy. :D
  5. kar298

kar298 New Member

thats pretty much what i was thinking i was just wondering what every one else though
  6. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Yea, I have the Redhawk in .41 Mag and she takes anything I give her. Would never think of giving it up. I also have a 2x Leupold on top of her. Wonderful weapon!
  7. kar298

kar298 New Member

cool, i will be going down friday to look and it and hopefully buy it
  8. robsguns

robsguns New Member

Buy a used Super Redhawk

And you will get your best deal. You can always pick up a used SRH cheaper than 500, and most likely around the price of the 400 dollar Redhawk you are looking at. I have bought both of my SRH's for less than 425, in like new condition. I paid more for my third SRH new than either of the 2 used ones. I sold it to my brother, so I can always buy it back if I want to, for 350. I think you too can find a good deal on a used SRH. Incidentally, I had a .44, have the 454 & 480.

As to putting a scope on one, I'd never do it again, have and wont again. You have my vote for a scopeless revolver, but I'd still like to have the strength of the SRH, just because.

Thats my .02 worth, good luck.
  9. kar298

kar298 New Member

yes i would rather have a super redhawk but at least around here it is very hard to find any used 44 mag's i have been looking for several weeks and this is the first used 44 mag that was nice all the other ones were either way to expensive or very crappy looking. as to the strength how can the super redhawk be that much stronger than the redhawk if they weight basically the same amount?
  10. robsguns

robsguns New Member

Well.......

I'd say it depends on where the metal is put, and how they treat the metal they use for that particular gun. Steel is not all the same, and while I do not know for sure that the steel in one is different from the other, my guess is that it is. Just a guess though. Kind of like a titanium revovler weighing less but being as strong as a stainless steel revolver.

As for finding a cheap used revolver, I found both of mine on gunbroker.com and you may have to find a really good price to make up for the FFL transfer and shipping, but you never know, they are out there.

Good luck!
  11. kar298

kar298 New Member

well i bought one this afternoon a ruger redhawk in 44mag it loks brand new shoots awesome also and the kick isnt to bad to my susprise
  12. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I never have thought the kick was too bad. I can stand flat footed and it will rock me a little, but I'm a light weight anyway. I like a little kick to my guns.
  13. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

I never thought I would hear of the standard Redhawk not being strong enough. The weight is not much different between the two although the Redhawk does appear to have a liitle more metal in the grip frame area - having a full grip frame where the Super has the much smaller grip extension protruding frome the frame. I seriously doubt that Ruger uses different steel or heat treating operations to produce each gun - that is when comparing stainless to stainless.

robguns - down in Jacksonville , I grew up there. Still manage to make it down there every once in a while. The gun shops there have the highest prices I have ever seen on guns , anywhere , period!
  14. Rugster

Rugster New Member

Both are great guns and will endure alot of punishment.I have a RedHawk in .44 Mag and a Super RedHawk in .480.Both are accurate and pleasant to shoot.The price sounds good as well just give the Handgun a brief inspection before buying.Which I would recommend with any used gun.

Best!!
  15. kar298

kar298 New Member

yeah well i bought it already the gun looked brand new and i saved over 100 from buying it new