ruger rim firearms

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by thinking firearms, Dec 24, 2011.

1. thinking firearms

thinking firearms New Member

Wat was your first ruger rimfire! I have had alot of other kinds but i like the rugers the best!!
  2. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

My first Ruger was a .22 Auto pistol (first model, 9 shot magazine) that I bought in 1978 for $105. I picked up my first 10/22 a few years later.
  3. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

I don't own any Ruger rf firearms. As far as I can remember neither have I ever shot one.
  4. bamajoey

bamajoey Well-Known Member

My first and second Ruger was a pair of 10/22's.
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2011
  5. V509

V509 Member

The great thing with Ruger rimfires is that there are so many aftermarket parts for them
  6. Win73

Win73 New Member

My first Ruger rimfire was a Mark II semi auto pistol. I won it in a raffle. It cost me a whole $6. That was nearly 30 years ago. I still have it and it still shoots as good as new.

[​IMG]
  7. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

My one and only Ruger is a 10/22 I bought for $50 in 1986

Attached Files:

8. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I had a 10/22 but then sold it, so a few years later I had to buy a new 10/22...

[​IMG]
  9. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Ruger Mk 11 5&1/2" Bull Barrel was my first . Had it for years and loved it . Sold it and wished I hadn't. 20 years later bought the Ruger Mk111 5&1/2" Bull Barrel. I have it and still love it .(with a few mods) Sam Lam hammer bushing ,loaded chamber indicator replaced with non functional piece,hammer and trigger job, mag disconnect removed. Sweet shooter now!:D
  10. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Permafrost,

I just bought a MKIII Hunter with the loaded chamber indicator.
    What is it about that fixture you don't like? I have heard several others comment about removing it. Overall I think the gun is great, had it ballentining with a Truglo Red Dot at 25 yds, from a rest once I had it zeroed.
  11. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

Bought a colt first 40 years ago. First ruger was only 3 years ago. A 1974 beater. don't look the same any more[​IMG]
  12. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

Very nice, how does it shoot?
  13. BobMcG

BobMcG Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I've owned three 10/22s all from the '70s and still own the first one I bought new in '76.
  14. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

rcairflr Its a keeper . Groups can be on a nice warn day with the federal 922a ,50 yards will be around 280 to 300 if no wind day. Wolf/sk will do .300 to .400 but in cold weather its a mess and I have to wipe off extra lube. There are other photos there that show my rifle before I painted the stock black and polished the reciever. My wifes ruger with clark 16" midweight barrel and trigger is with it. Darn good tree rat hunter Thats a hard rifle to shoot as accurately as it weight 6lb 7oz with the scope. But it is as accurate out to 50 yards just way harder to do it as often. Ther a couple photos at my album with targets for a forum match. I was adjusting the scope for 50 yards while shooting on one targets on the top row.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  15. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

First ,it is made of plastic. I hate that on an otherwise all steel pistol. The original one were made of metal, but caused unintended firings.Second, it caused several stovepipe jams in my gun when gunk got under the mechanism. I also don't like looks the looks of it . I consider it superfluous and completely unnecessary. Something advocated by lawyers to avoid lawsuits. I built a filler out of aluminum,removed the indicator piece that rides on the cartridge, polished the filler and I think it looks 100% better. You can take out the little metal piece on the inside that rides on the cartridge and reinstall the indicator if you like the looks of it, but become concerned about stovepiping. Very easy fix.It will look the same from the outside. If you like it as an indicator, than just let 'er be! Strictly a personal thing.:D
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011
  16. BulletBait

BulletBait New Member

1962, a new 6 1/2" Single Six convertible ~$60. Since then plenty of the old models, but for now only a 5 1/2" OM and a few special model 10/22's
  17. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

Permafrost,

Thanks for the reply and info. Not sure what I will do at this point. Have only put a couple of hundred rounds through it. If stove piping becomes prevalent I will remove it. I am not crazy about having to have a clip in to fire the gun either. any suggestions on how to alter that?

Neverhome

Neverhome
  18. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

I have mkIII standard with a 2lb trigger kit and my wife has new 22/45 with a dot sight. Mine runs great as is. Hers was a pain in the butt with any ammo. Called ruger CS , talked it out and they sent a shipping label. Pistol was back in a week and a half and runs like mine does. Both still have the loaded chamber indicator. Now we shoot them till they run around 1000 rounds before breaking them down for a good cleaning. Depends way more on the ammo used now. Still no feeding issue. Just clean the bore after a few hundred rounds and the bolt face . I will depend on ammo used as to how quick I have to clean the bolt area then dental pick to clean the crud build up from around the bolt face and ejector slot with out haveing to take it apart.
  19. Old John

Old John New Member

I bought my 1st Ruger rimfire, in 1962. It was a Ruger Standard automatic with a 6" thin barrel. The original cost was only $39.95. And I ordered it from the Speigel mail order catologue. You could do that back then.

I'm 71 years old and I still have it and it has fired untold bricks of various .22lr cartridges.
    One of my sons will inherit it, one of these days.
  20. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

If you install the Sam Lam hammer bushing ,you can remove the mag disconnect and it will improve the trigger pull at the same time . This is the best site for all things rimfire. They also have the links you need to walk you through installation. His contact is one the site below. They're pretty cheap and very well made. Volquartson makes some good stuff also. Good luck!:)

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/index.php