Ruger Rumor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JohnBrainard, Jan 13, 2010.

1. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

Someone told me that Ruger's an anti-gun company, or at least siding with the lefties on the Assault Weapons ban. I don't even know where to begin to verify this, but it sounds a bit nonsensical to me. I'm hoping someone can tell me this is untrue as I really am liking the Ruger P944 for a carry gun.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

not sure were they are coming from on that. Ruger just put out the SR556, Rugers version of the AR. I think Ruger would rather stick with the classic hunting and sporting rifles but the 556 seems to be a great contender.
  3. cakes

cakes New Member

It was Mr. Ruger agreeing that civilians should not have high cap magazines that got everyone wound up. I don't think you have to worry about Mr. Ruger any more.
  4. cakes

cakes New Member

You can get the Reader's Digest version if you search William Ruger on Wikipedia.
  5. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

Don't forget the Mini 14 as well.

If Ruger isn't the leading US manufacturer by dollar volume then they are second. They are also the only US company that sells to all four categories: rifles, shotguns, pistols and revolvers.

From their 3rd Quarter 09 10Q:

I seriously doubt they would endeavor to work this hard if they really hated guns.
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ruger makes an awsome product at a dang good price! I would love to buy one of their new AR15s but at the moment in am in a a selling mode...not a buying one....

gn
  8. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Just sell one extra :D.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Are you buying??? :D

gn
  10. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

Bill Ruger did not do anything to oppose the high cap mag restrictions and a few other things that went into effect from the '94 AWB. But, as posted above, we don't have to worry about him now. I think he was seriously conflicted about his views vs. his way of life...
    I also think that Ruger guns are among the best value going. An AC-556 will be my first full-auto.
  11. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I got my first (of many) Ruger firearms when I was 12, and in the next 28 years of regular use I have had around a half dozen occasions where ammunition quality caused a problem. Never had a Ruger break or fail in any way other than that, and mine have not shown themselves to be finnicky about ammo except for those extreme circumstances. All those failures were using Federal Lightning .22LR's in my old 10/22.
  12. JohnBrainard

JohnBrainard New Member

Thanks for the responses. I didn't think there was anything to it, but figured you guys would know if there were.

I'm happy with the two Ruger rifles I have... A Model 77 MKII .30-06 and a 10/22. The P944 looks like a nice, inexpensive pistol to carry. I especially like the double action. Perhaps it's just that I have never carried before, but it would make me uncomfortable carrying a cocked pistol in a holster. Being able to draw and know that pulling the trigger will cock and fire the gun is appealing to me.
  13. questor

questor New Member

Bill Ruger as stated was getting old and confused, note the following:

In a letter to members of the House and Senate on 30 March 1989, Ruger stated in what has come to be known as "The Ruger Letter":

"The best way to address the firepower concern is therefore not to try to outlaw or license many millions of older and perfectly legitimate firearms (which would be a licensing effort of staggering proportions) but to prohibit the possession of high capacity magazines. By a simple, complete, and unequivocal ban on large capacity magazines, all the difficulty of defining "assault rifles" and "semi-automatic rifles" is eliminated. The large capacity magazine itself, separate or attached to the firearm, becomes the prohibited item. A single amendment to Federal firearms laws could prohibit their possession or sale and would effectively implement these objectives."

In addition to the furor amongst hunters, sportsmen and shooters caused by "The Ruger Letter", Ruger made additional comments during an interview with NBC's Tom Brokaw that angered 2nd Amendment proponents even further, saying that "no honest man needs more than 10 rounds in any gun…" and "I never meant for simple civilians to have my 20 and 30 round magazines…"

This position, coming from an important firearms manufacturer such as Ruger, caused outrage in the shooting sports community and led to a widespread boycott of Ruger products that is still practiced by some firearms purchasers to this day, who choose to buy products from manufacturers who they feel hold a greater respect for their customers (however, see further below).

"The Ruger Letter" is widely accepted as being the genesis for those parts of legislation that were drafted 5 years later in the now defunct Assault Weapons Ban which prohibited the manufacture of any magazines holding over 10 rounds of ammunition for civilian sale, except to the motion-picture industry, which Ruger continued to pursue. Critics consider it ironic that the company would supply shows such as The A-Team with the AC-556, a selective fire variant of the Mini-14, then complain about the resulting public image of the semi-automatic Mini-14.

While it is unknown what the true motives behind "The Ruger Letter" really were, it is widely speculated that his position on magazine capacity was more a matter of smart business than one of individual philosophy. Given the legislative climate regarding firearms during that time (the late 1980s/early 1990s), the prospect of an outright ban that may have impacted one of Ruger's most popular and profitable models (the Mini-14) was a very real possibility.

By taking preemptive measures to shift the focus from the "guns" to the "magazine capacity", this would allow Sturm, Ruger to continue production with their Mini-14 line of firearms for civilian sale. Any legislation regarding magazines would have had zero impact on their bottom line, given that Ruger maintained a company policy refusing to sell Mini-14 magazines over 5 rounds (which would not have been affected), even prior to the 1994 legislation.

However, the tactic was a complete failure. Not only was the Mini-14 included in the various lists of banned guns, but the customer base of "simple civilians" simply found other vendors, while the government and law enforcement markets largely continued to pass by Ruger products in favor of arms from Colt, Springfield Armory, Heckler and Koch, FN and others.

Since the death of Bill Ruger and the 2006 retirement of his son, Bill Ruger, Jr., the company has offered and advertised its 20-round and (more recently, as of April 2009) its 30-round Mini-14 magazines for sale to the general public on its website. In light of the (then) upcoming US Presidential Election of 2008, Sturm, Ruger & Co. even offered "Inaugural Special" pricing for their 20-round Mini-14 magazines through 31 January 2009. With acts such as these, the boycott appears to have been dying down. Additionally, Ruger announced its entry into the AR-15 market on 15 May 2009 by announcing the SR-556. This is a gas-piston AR and comes with 3 30-r
  14. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

But he continued to make pistols with high cap capacity. I have heard that criticism before but it seems like nonsense to me. During that period S&W entering into an agreement with the devil and almost went out of business as gun owners boycotted them but I don't remember ruger doing anything disagreeable to me?? In fact he told Massachusetts to kiss off and wouldn't sell there when they passed requirements he didn't like.
  15. bambihunter

bambihunter New Member

As questor very nicely put it up above, it may have simply been the way he thought he could protect his way of life (gun sales) by chopping off a seemingly unpopular segment (to the uninitiated) while maintaining his sales.
    I don't know. I am not sure anyone will ever know what the real deal is/was...