Ruger Scope Mounting Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 24, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    After hearing lots of good things about the 25-06 I finally broke down and bought one. I will soon be seeing my new Ruger 77 MKII varmint/target rifle. I am now in the proscess of deciding what kind of scope to put on this baby. I am leaning toward one of the following, Burris Black Diamond 6X24X50mm with a fine duplex reticle or a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5X20X50mm with fine duplex reticle. Any of you having any experience with these two scopes, I would love to hear your opinions. My other question is with the Ruger rings. Should I go with them or go with a B Square adaptor to Weaver style?

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/19/03 10:39:32 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Need advise on scope/rings
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the 50mm objective lens, you're gonna need the Ruger Xtra Hi rings anyway, so the B Square adapter with the Weaver rings would be OK, as far a height goes. With the Ruger integral rings, you only have 2 points of mechanical joining - the rings to the base and the split rings themselves. With the B Square/Weaver setup, you have 3 - adapter to receiver, rings to adapter and then the split rings. Any mechanical joining is subject to failure or misalignment. The less, the better. I'd go with the Ruger rings.

My Ruger M77 Mkll V/T has a Burris 8.5x24x50 and required the installation of the Xtra Hi rings. Ruger swapped out those that came with the rifle and no charge.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

2many22s
    (1/20/03 6:56:17 pm)
    Thanks for the reply kdub. Followed your advice on the rings. Called Ruger and I am on the backorder list for a set of high mount rings in blue. They offered me a set in stainless but I figured I'd rather have a two tone gun than three(scope will be blk. matte gun is gray) .
    What cal. do you have in this model? Any kudos/complaints??

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (1/21/03 12:23:42 am)
    Have a Ruger M77 Mk II V/T (Varmit/Target) in .223 Rem.
    A Ruger M77 (Tang safety) in 7mm Rem Mag
    A Ruger M77 (Tang safety) in 7mm Dakota
    A Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet
    A Ruger 77/22 in .22 WRM (with a swap bbl in .17 HMR)
    A Ruger 10/22 in .22 LR (heavy bbl, target stock - factory)
    A Ruger Blackhawk (3 screw model) in .41 Mag

Yeah, I kinda like the Ruger products!.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

Edited by: kdub01 at: 1/21/03 4:00:45 pm

mblynm
    (2/2/03 5:20:56 pm)
    I have never, 'til recently, even seen a scope let alone use one. I recently purchased a Browning Lightning BLR (.30-06) and two Ruger M77 Mark II LH Bolt Actions (.30-06) and (.270 Win.). I have been shooting for over 60 years and never looked through a scope until recently.

The two scopes that were recommended by my son-in-law were a Simmons 3-9 40mm and a Tasco 3x12 40mm. They were gifts that he had mounted for me.

My question is, "Is there a problem with my sight or with the scope?" I can't see anything using these scoles and the image in the scope itself is no larger than a small aspirin. There is no way that I could shoot with either. I am only able to use the Browning because it is mounted with low profile see thru rings that allow me to use the open sights.

Recently in a store I sighted through a used BSA Cats-Eye and for the first time was able to see a full image without any straining to try to get it larger than the aspirin size. This would tell me that I probably need a different, and more expensive instrument. However, I am limited by very little income and could not afford a scope in the Leupold class, though I'd love to.

Any suggestions, please???

outdoorsman260
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/2/03 8:07:07 pm)
    Were you there when he mounted them?
    They are probably too far forward or too far back. Look through the scope, then more your head back forwards or backwards. You should find a place where you can see through the whole scope.

Then, the scope needs loosened and moved so that it is in focus with your head in your natural postition.
    blake.prohosting.com/~redneck4

shooter22
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/2/03 8:39:48 pm)
    2many2's, If you go with the Leupold, with the 50mm lense, I believe it is a 30mm tube not a 1" tube. My brother has this scope and he had to get the rings from Ruger in the stainless. I think they are high or extra high. You might want to check it out.

Hey, Bin Laden, our women can kick you butt!

mblynm
    (2/2/03 9:23:18 pm)
    Thanks ODman.

I have tried my vision plane along several different points and have never been able to find a spot on either of these scopes that was anything more than the small aspirin. All of the scope are mounted within the stated eye relief by the mfgs.

That is why I have been so distressed over the matter. The rifles are usless without being able to see through them. I have shot many times each day and certainly at least 3 weekends a month since 1941. Unfortunately I am new, as I said, to scopes within the last couple months.

These rifles were bore sighted but I can't even see to fine tune the sights....

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/2/03 11:24:29 pm)
    I'd almost suspect the scopes are mounted backwards!

With proper eye relief, you should be able to see a full field of view at all power settings. The scopes should be mounted as low as the bell housings will allow for clearance of barrel and for bolt handle. If you still experience trouble finding the target with full view, a trip to a gunsmith is in order so he can properly mount it for you.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"

mblynm
    (2/3/03 8:49:08 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del More Scopes and rings
    The scopes are mounted correctly but still.....

2many22s
    (2/3/03 10:49:54 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: ruger rings
    shooter22; I ended up getting the Burris Black Diamond, found one at a price I couldn't pass on. It also has a 30mm tube. The gent I talked to at Ruger said the 30mm "high" rings would fit this application. I hope he is right.

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/3/03 11:20:07 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    mblynm
    mblynm

There is a problem with the scopes or the mounting. Since both of them do the same thing i would say it is in the way they are mounted. You should take it to a gunsmith and get it checked out.

I have a Browning BLR also Great gun! Mine is a .22-250 with a Tasco 3x9x50.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

mblynm
    (2/7/03 9:02:26 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: mblynm
    Thanks, Warpig. I took it today and found the scope meeded to be set back about 1½", after which I had a beautiful sight plane. My BLR, my favorite rifle, is now ready for fine tuning up in the Forest and later testing of my hand loads to find the best one.

Unfortunately the Ruger using Ruger's scope mounting system cannot be moved though I need it moved rearward about the same amount. Any suggestions on a relatively easy way to overcome that one?
    "For God so loved the World that He gave His only begotten Son that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life." John 3:16 "If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." Ronald Reagan "The greatest danger to the American people is a government that ignores the Constitution." Author unknown to this writer "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a Little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

kdub01
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/7/03 11:58:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: mblynm
    You can get some extension rings that will position the scope farther back, or you can call Ruger and let them know the problem.

The Ruger Model 1 is noted for scopes not being able to be mounted with proper eye relief. If you contact Ruger and keep their feet to the fire, they normally will swap out your old standard rings for a set of new extension ones.
    "Keep Off The Ridgeline"