ruger single six....1960- 61 issues

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by 64shovelhead, Mar 4, 2012.

1. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

as i was refreshing to see if anyone was responding to my 1903a3 issues....i was looking up the date on my ruger single six and the trapdoor linkage fell out...literally....fell out on my couch...please help...i have the tools and know how...do i really need to put it back in...is it necessary....to my knowledge it was a factory converted safety think.....please let me know

thanks
  2. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

not saying much due to experience. but that door, even if not on smaller caliber guns, is still some sort of discharge shield. id say put on some glasses and shoot it. but myself would put it back in, only after finding out HOW it fell out
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  3. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

tried that...doesn't shoot 22 shorts....as it should....lr and shorts....help...and btw....it broke...and fell out, not just fell out...

thanks
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  4. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

5. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

You mean the loading gate plunger tube and spring fell out? You have to remove the trigger guard to do that. You can get that from brownells all day long.
  6. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

repeater, yes that is the gun but mine isn't stainless and isn't new...

helix FR, it is the plate in front of the hammer and behind the firing pin...it broke at the bottom and fell out....now cylinder won't free spin anymore either....along with not shooting....
  7. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

well it looks like theres 2 cylinders for EACH round of .22.
    not to point out the obvious but hopefully your using both for its intended round? not sure about the rest man. pretty sure you should get you elbows dirty. find a schematic and go to town. if you run into any issues, address them as you go. sounds to me you need some coinage for a part or two
  8. REPEATER

REPEATER New Member

9. Jim K

Jim K New Member

It sounds like the recoil plate. Perhaps I am judging unfairly, but it sounds as if you are not an experienced gunsmith, so I suggest you return the gun to Ruger to have it fixed right. If you are on good terms with your local dealer, he will probably be willing to ship it at minimal cost (he can use the US mail, which you can't).

Jim
  10. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Sounds to me like the gun was converted and now the transfer bar is broken.

No offense, but please don't try to fix this yourself. Have Ruger or a gunsmith do it.
  11. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I'm with SC sounds like the transfer bar now that you described it that way.
  12. Jim K

Jim K New Member

OK, the transfer bar. I can't read writing like "front of the hammer and behind the firing pin".

My advice was better than my reading - send it to Ruger.

Jim
  13. jtguns

jtguns New Member

I would say send it yourself to Ruger, with a letter about what happened. Everytime I have delt with Ruger they have been fast and reasonable in cost and may even fix it for free. They stand behind the firearms.
    Shoot safe, JT
  14. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

well heres my latest update....the transfer bar cannot be bought from midway or brownells for the older three screw 22s....at least that's what the gentlemen from ruger said.....I have one on its way from ruger at no charge...nice! As soon as I got off the phone with ruger i called my local gunsmith and asked how much it would be to install.....60-70 bucks....ouch....I'm gonna give it a go on my own...
  15. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Great to hear Ruger came through as they usually do with sending you
    the part(s). if a person can do it and save the $ that's good.
    Good luck 64!
  16. 64shovelhead

64shovelhead New Member

transfer bar is in...time to run out and see if it shoots well...thanks all
  17. Zane71464

Good to hear!
  18. Zane71464

..now to get mine (single ten) back to ruger, it's a new one.