ruger single six .22, is it accurate? is it reliable?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Smokin Guns, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Smokin Guns

Smokin Guns New Member

Frosty
    (3/18/03 1:50:56 am)
    Reply ruger single six .22, is it accurate? is it reliable?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    hello, my dad got me this ruger .22 single six revolver for my birthday and wanted to know if is accurate and reliable? has anybody had one or had some experience with one? the barrel is 5 inches long and it is blue the grips are rose wood. It also came with a cylinder for .22 magnum. please give me some input thank you frosty

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/18/03 8:44:01 am)
    Reply Re: ruger single six .22, is it accurate? is it reliable?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The answer is "yes" to both. I've had one for many years.......I bought mine in the early '60's.

Mind you, it's not a target gun, but it's rugged, reliable, and a really fun plinker. I can't even estimate the number of those dangerous Cambell's Tomato Soup cans I've killed with it.

cointoss 2
    *TFF Staff*
    (3/18/03 10:42:19 am)
    Frosty, I have had one for about 20 years and it is one of my favorite side arms for plinking. I don't think I have ever used the mag cylinder in mine so I can't say too much there, but for the fun shooting, a true pleasure.
    cointoss2

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/18/03 5:07:08 pm)
    Make sure U try the mag, flash crack smoke lottsa fun

stuporman
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/18/03 7:54:43 pm)
    Reply Voluntary recall on Ruger single Six for safety...
    FYI...

Ruger has put out a voluntary recall on the Ruger single Six from a few years back. Seems they have trouble going off when dropped.
    Cant think of a gun that doesn't, but they will still put a new something or other and retime the action for free.

Xracer
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (3/19/03 9:12:11 am)
    Reply Re: Voluntary recall on Ruger single Six for safety...
    Stuporman....that recall was for the pre-1973 models. In '73, Ruger went to a transfer-bar ignition system.

www.firearmsid.com/Recall...htm#RUGER, “Old Model” (pre-1973) SINGLE-SIX, BLACKHAWK, & BEARCAT, REVOLVERS

Frosty
    (3/19/03 8:01:03 pm)
    Reply Re: Voluntary recall on Ruger single Six for safety...
    thanks guys, I have recently tried it out (yesterday) at about 25 yds its great. Those 20 oz coke bottles were flipping and flying. I tried the mag cylinder. LOVED IT!!. But a little on the expensive side for the ammo. Thanks again I will never part with it. #1 its from from my dad. #2 it will always work, not like some semiautos i have seen.

IamMrClark
    (3/19/03 10:03:20 pm)
    HELLO EVERYONE,
    The Single-six is a great gun, and I concour with the fact that it ain't a super tackdriver, but it is a great "pest zapper". The mag cylinder will really shut down foxes, coyoties(sp?), and in a pinch, ground hogs, but you must be very close(30 yds or less). I use mine for trap work, as I live on a working farm, and ground hogs a re a problem, and it is fun to shoot as well. Hope this helps, and I hope you will enjoy many years with your new Ruger!
    'Nuff Said,
    Chris Clark

stuporman
    V.I.P. Member
    (3/20/03 12:09:10 am)
    Reply pre 1973 recall
    Thats what I meant by "a few years back."

When you get as old as Im getting...it all starts to lur together.

He said it was from his dad, so I wanted to make sure it wasn't one of them oldies.

I have an old 1941 Savage auto shotgun from my dad, and it will fire off a round if you look hard at it.

Sometimes the firing pin sticks a little...thats kinda fun when everybody stops what they are doing to stare dumbly at the guy who just tore the top half of the target (including wooden frame) completely off with 3 or four rounds of "burst fire" 12 gauge.

Had a Gunsmith smooth it out...Sometimes you gotta be careful with hand me downs.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2003
  2. IBFrank

IBFrank New Member

Darn straight the Single Six is a super fun gun! I have 2, a New Model Convertible and a real nice 1956 issue SS with real stag grips. Both shoot like new and I would bet that with patience and practice (and maybe a shooting stick or rest), you could make some pretty long shots, too. I have! Get a new 10/22 rifle (or even an old carbine) for the whistle pigs and rabbits. Mine have always hit what I aimed at. You gotta love them Rugers. Best gun values for the money. Yes, the recall was for ALL Old Models made before '73. They sent me a shipping box & instructions but I haven't had it changed yet. I believe it was converted from the flat loading gate in times past.
  3. 45Smashemflat

45Smashemflat New Member

First pistol I ever bought - for $25. Still have it. Its a mid 60's model with a 6" BBL. Blued, wood grips. The recall switches it to a transfer bar trigger group making the gun "safer" for those who might carry the gun with 6 in the cylinder. This pistol has been my primary "snaker getter" and general walking around gun since I was about 13.
  4. swiftman

swiftman Member

If you shoot long rifles through it and want to switch to 22 mag you should clean the barrel well first to remove any lead fouling or you accuracy with mags may suffer,
  5. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

They have always shot clean and accurate for me.
  6. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Mine has claimed a bunch of opossims, and a few other critters. Mind stays loaded by the back door for those occasions. :)
  7. armen

armen New Member

I bought my stainless single six lightly used, but real clean from a shop sho swore the owner was a good guy.
    Although it was dead reliable, it never was near accurate. I poked around a bit and decided that it had too much cylinder endshake, too much play on the base pin, various sizes of bores in the cylinders, and so forth. I took a gunsmithing class last summer with Ron Powers. After throwing a ton of time, parts, and machining into the beast it is pretty nice. Trigger pull is light, oversize base pin, free spin pawl, endshake elimnated and cylinder gaps correct, and the cylinder bores match.
    It would have been WAY not worth it to pay someone to sort it out. I looked at it as a learning experience.
    I guess the moral of the story is check it out thoroughly before you buy, and that quality control can vary.
  8. Texman

Texman New Member

Yea, I got on those also, with the mag cylinder,, straight shooter for sure! I had one just like in long time ago and carried it on the deer lease for rabbits.. Fun good shooting gun! I love the long barrel and the weight. Got this one from my brother who got it from someone who didn't like it.. his loss!

Course, now that I live where I can't fire it in back yard saftly, would trade it for something bigger , like S&W 38 airweight body guard, which ex got off with..:mad:
  9. Tom

Tom Member

I have a 5 ½” stainless convertible. It shoots pretty well, but it needs more breaking in. The bore is a little rough. If I shoot soft lead .22 LR in it and then shoot .22 mag without cleaning, it can keyhole. After a thorough cleaning, it was ok. I am shooting .22 mag in it to smooth the bore. It is getting better with use.
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

i have a 5 1/2 blued model and love it. it is accurate enough to hit a coke can at 25 yards and it is very reliable.
  11. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

My Single Six is more accurate with the .22mag cylinder in place, but it's still not bad when shooting .22lr that it likes. The only thing I don't like about it is whenever it reaches the 300+ rd mark or so of .22lr, the chambers get really dirty and it gets more difficult to eject and insert fresh cartridges. I suppose you're going to get that with any .22lr revolver though.
  12. davem

davem New Member

luv mine i keep the mag cylinder in all the time i have the 5 1/2" barrel with a 4x scope. i use my s&w 22 auto for general plinkin or punching targets.

Attached Files:

13. 007bondjamesbond007

007bondjamesbond007 New Member

My Single Six is very accurate. The 22 Mag is the most accurate round. The 22LR is not as tight a group as the 22Mag. I found this very interesting 22 shorts did have the tightest groups of all the rounds.