Ruger Single Six....9.5"....?

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tony Mig, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

While picking up some reloading supplies at the local gun shop the other day, I cruised past the gun cabinet, and noticed a Blued Ruger Single Six with a 9.5" barrel. I wanted to check it out, but I was pressed for time, and there was only one salesman in the shop at the time, and he was tied up with other customers, so I didn't even get to hold it, but I thought it might be a cool .22 to shoot.
    I would certainly turn a few heads at the Bullseye matches wipping that hog leg out for the rimfire stages.... :D

But with all that barrel, it must be a real chore holding that thing up with one hand..... :confused:

Anybody got one......?

If so, how do you like it......?

How stable is that long barrel shooting one handed........?

Hows the accuracy.......(I would imagine very good).......?

"and when you get hungry, pop in the .22WMR cylinder, and go rabbit hunting"..... :eek:
  2. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

Tony,

I used to have one years ago. It qualifies as one of those "I shoulda never sold it" guns. I used that Single Six in IHMSA competition and everyone said that it wouldn't be accurate enough because the bore was .224" to accomodate the magnum rimfire round and we were restricted to .22 long rifle, which has a .223" bullet. Well, I wasn't the best revolver shot, but I did place first in the state (California) in "A" Class Revolver back in the mid '80's. I quit competing soon after that and sold the gun, much to my chagrin. It wasn't too difficult to hold with both hands while standing - I don't know about one hand. In competition, though, I always shot from the "Creedmore" position in which the long barrel was a blessing - as long as I had a leather shield for the cylinder gap blast!
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Thanks for your response Norman Dog.....

The only compeating I do is Bullseye, and that has to be shot one handed. I can't help to think that 9.5" barrel would be a little much to hold steady with one hand.

I think the better gun for me would be the Ruger Bisley .22, it's not bored out for .22WMR since it doesn't come with the extra cylinder, and the barrel is only 6.5"....much easier to hold up, and keep steady with one hand.

I had the oppertunity to shoot a MKII with the 10" barrel, and I just couldn't maintain a steady hold with one hand, I can only assume the same would be true of the long barrel Single Six.....
  4. Norman Dog

Norman Dog New Member

Yeah, bullseye competition would be a bit tough with that barrel hanging out there. The long barrel was just the ticket for me since silhouette shooting involved ranges out to 100 yards and I was allowed to rest the barrel on my leg. The long sight radius was very handy.

I agree that the Bisley barrel would be more desireable for what you are doing.
  5. Bullseye

Bullseye New Member

Hows the accuracy.......(I would imagine very good).......?

I have the 5.5" version and it is fairly accurate , even with the "cheap stuff" - here is a pic of a 40+ shot group at 25 yards with a standing 2 hand hold. The ammo used was the Wal Mart 550 box of bulk Federal. Are you using the single action just for slowfire bullseye?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2004
  6. z537z

z537z New Member

That's real respectable shootin Bullseye.

The regular (vs. heavy) barrel of that single six won't make a 9.5 much harder to hold than a 5.5" barrel, and with two hands it won't be bad at all. A thinner 10" barrel is still easier to hold up than my SW617 (3lbs.) 6" barrel with full lug.

Anything Ruger puts out is probably more accurate than you are, with the possible exception of their large (non .22) caliber semis (e.g. P99), which I think lack quality.

_z
  7. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

Ruger makes excellent firearms, but 9.5" is a little too much for me. I prefer to be at the 6" or less level. ,ie Walther P22s and the Heritage RoughRiger Satin series.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. MYREDTAIL

MYREDTAIL New Member

What is the best type of 22LR ammo to use for rabbit's in my Ruger Single Six gun,? without destroying most of the meat on them with other than a head shot,? I have load's of 22 LR ammo in JHP, but forums say that this JHP ammo will not leave a lot of edible meat left to eat when a rabbit get's hit with one of these,? Am I better off just using a solid plated lead 40 gr. bullet for rabbit hunting,?I would like to hear some feed back on this.?
  9. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I use the cci Blazer 40gr. solid lead and have shot tree rats with little damage, amoung other varmints. Seems the bullets are in and out with little damage.
    EDIT: And not to mention that they are accurate in my single six with a 9.5" barrel.
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  10. FW!

FW! New Member

I have one, bought it about 1965. Always been a good shooter
  11. EvanB

EvanB New Member

I have one now and have had another in the past that I sold. Itisnt bad balance considering the long barrel but not a serious accurate pistol. Guns that are made for interchanging cyclinders between .22lr and .22 WMR have a barrel that is bored a tad larger to accomidate the .22 WMR and that causes you accuracy with the .22 LR.

For fun - Yes. For Competition or target - no.