Ruger Single Six help

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Smokeater52, Mar 7, 2012.

1. Smokeater52

Smokeater52 New Member

I bought an older model (3 screw) single six from a friend of mine last year. It has been an awesome gun to have and shoot. I am now having to replace the firing pin and i have stripped the gun all the way down. Does anyone know where I can possibly get new screws and springs? Ruger offered to change the firing pin for free, but they would have to install the upgraded safety system (wich would lower the value). While i have it apart I am going to re-blue it and try to find new Ruger walnut grips (any tips on the bluing process would be great too!). I am also curious to know what year the gun is from. Any help with this would be great.

Thank you all in advance.:patriotic:
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. muddober

muddober Active Member

I would try Numrich Arms for the parts. I am assuming the screws are buggered up is why you want new ones. If they are not too bad you can take a fine file and dress the screw head going with the slot then go to 220 paper the same way, then to 400 paper. If you have a gas kitchen stove or small butane torch you can heat the screws red hot then drop them in cold water and that will blue them. Do NOT use an acetylene torch with oxygen as that will get them too hot or melt them.

As for bluing the gun that should be left to a professional and hot blued or you will most likely really screw it up. A gun like yours should be prepped all by hand using the proper grit paper to duplicate the original finish. In other words very little or no buffer. Also the grip frame I think is made out of aluminum and has to be anodized.

If you could post some pictures one of us might be able to shed more light.

Ron
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  3. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Unless your gun is in poor condition, any rebluing you might do (especially bluing you do yourself) is going to kill any collector value far more than the Ruger transfer-bar conversion would.

Please don't try some hand-sanding and cold blue kitchen table bluing job. Doing it right requires a couple thousand bucks worth of equipment and chemicals and a good bit of experience.
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

I was going to say, your worried about ruger adding the transfer bar trigger to your gun and lowering the value. the home bluing job will make it worthless. The proper bluing process which is hot salts bluing said by muddobber and stonechimney is an expensive set up process, plus its hot (the salts don't boil till around 285-300 degrees depending on what kind), it smells and its also very dangerous if not done by a trained professional. You need proper ventilation. The steam can cause resperatory problems and can burn your skin and thats not from the heat either, the salts burn on their own. Cold blues just stink period. No matter how sucessful people say they are with them, it just does not wear well and with being on rugers steel, it will never get that dark. having a pro do the work is well worth it. Hot salts bluing a gun is not that expensive, its the prep that is expensive. Good luck:D
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I'd send it to Ruger. They are going to be your best bet to get ALL the work done, to get it done RIGHT and to have the gun look CORRECT when they are done.

Yes, they will put in the transfer-bar conversion. But they send the old parts back with it. Take the new parts out and put the old parts back in. That's what I did.
  6. muddober

muddober Active Member

I did not know Ruger will still do what Alpo suggest but it sure sounds like the right ticket to me.

Ron
  7. Telcotech

Telcotech Member

A friend of mine just received his Ruger MK I back from the factory. This pistol was in pretty bad shape , it was not taken care of very well from the previous owner. He bought it for $90 dollars and right from the get-go it was having problems w/ FTE, FTF. He called Ruger, sent the gun in, and $140 later it functions great, and has a nice re-blue job. The pistol is now ready for the next 50 yrs. If you are considering having your Single-Six 3-screw refurb'd....I would strongly suggest you send it to Ruger and get the job done correctly!