The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruger Single Six questions on age

Tags
ruger
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Alpo 
#1 ·
Hi guys, hey Ive just inherited my beloved uncles Ruger.

Saddly just lost his 4 month battle with lung cancer, I was along for the ride reforming our relationship to the point of feeling I had a new best friend it was an amazing short journey, 70 year old Air Force Vet. Sharpest man I ever met. Engineer. Artist. Played some good blues guitar. Anyways, RIP Stanley. Loved and missed.

Sorry for that.

I've always wanted some of these, and I've looked up a lot info but I must be scatter brained right now.

Here is the serial number.484780
6 1/2 barrel

Came with 2 cylinders, both have 780 etched on them, I'm sure one is LR and one MAG

Walnut grips, red pouch for cylinder.says ruger .22 cal single-six.

sturm,ruger and co.inc.
southport,conn,USA

Looks to me to be the 3 screw old style??

Now wondering what year it was made ?
is it the old style 3 screw or new style ?
Just really looking for the history.
Not concerned with the value since for me its priceless anyway.

Thanks old friends.

Jason

ps. I can take pics later if needed.

See less See more
#2 ·
Pictures are always nice, and usually quite helpful.

The "Old Model" Rugers, with a four-click action, and "got to put it on half cock to load it", have three screws. The "New Model" actions, with one-click (cocked) and to load it you just open the loading gate, which locks the hammer in the down position and drops the bolt so the cylinder can spin, have two pins.

Does it have fixed (actually "slide in a dovetail") sights, or screw adjustable?

That will decide whether it is a "Single Six", or a "Super Single Six".

And are you sure about that serial number? 'Cause I can't find it.

#4 ·
I got a 22lr H&R from my sister. It was about 30 to 40 yrs old. I gave it a good cleaning and took it out to shoot. Some of the ammo I got from her was bad, but the gun shot well. Clean it good and take a bright light and check out the nooks and cranies, also the barrel. If it looks clean fire a cylinder of each through it. Sorry about your uncle.

#5 ·
It's the "Old Model." Did your uncle send it back to Ruger to have the transfer bar installed at no cost to make it a safe 6 shooter? I have one just like it I bought used last year but without the 22 mag cyl that apparently was lost somewhere in it's lifetime. Mine was made in 1971 and is tight and accurate as heck, but with a little wear on it. I got it for a song because the seller didn't take the time to even wipe it down for the pics and surface rust was showing, I guess I bid just because it was begging to be wiped down with an oily rag! And that is all it took, too!

But mine was never sent back and even though my buddies have been trying to get me to send it back for the free "safety upgrade" to have the transfer bar added, I hate to do it because the trigger is so sweet and I heard the "new" trigger job you get isn't as nice. I guess they send back your old parts so you could put it back together the old way, but I just load 5 like they did the old SAA Colts...load one, skip one, load 4, and when you fully cock it then lower the hammer it will be on the empty chamber so it cannot fire if you drop it or snag the hammer on anything.

I have a Ruger 45/22 target and have owned or shot many decent target .22s in my lifetime, but that old Ruger Single Six outshoots everything I've owned, at least when I'm shooting them. ;)

As for value, I have been shocked recently, I've seen 450-600 for new ones in shops depending on blued or ss, barrel length, etc, but I have yet to find any used ones in any condition with both cylinders for under $350....the $220 total I have into mine including the shipping and FFL fee was a steal.

Attachments

Reactions: flboots
#6 ·
Gun was made in 1967. As polishshooter said, if it is unconverted, always carry it with an empty chamber under the hammer. If it has adjustable sights, it is a Super Single Six. If it has fixed sights, it is a standard Single Six.

#7 ·
Gun is in amazingly solid shape. He took great care of everything. I now believe it to be the old one and am very happy.

I also know if you pull the hammer back to the first position that a stopper behind the trigger seems to act as a safety.

Thanks for all the info and any new info you can give.

ps. I did watch a few videos of loading only 5 if your not ready to shoot. I think this might have the upgrade you speak of.

#9 ·
Just cock it and listen.

UNCONVERTED clicks four times. Safety notch, half-cock, bolt pops up, full cock.

CONVERTED only clicks three.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.