Ruger Single Six

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Mar 3, 2010.

1. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have decided to purchase a Ruger Single Six. At this point I am thinking the "Super", New Model with adjustable sights and the convertible with extra cylinder for the .22mag. Barrel length is still up in the air but sort of favor the 5.5 or the 6.5 inch. Haven't made up my mind on the blued or the stainless. Like the ease of cleaning the ss guns with out damage to finish but like the looks of the blued steel. I have a Blackhawk .45 Colt with 4 5/8s barrel and would not complain if it was a little bit longer but it is ok.

Any advice, experience, or preferences you might toss my way would be appreciated.

Had a Colt Scout with the buntline barrel but in a weak moment I sold it, DUMB.

Todd
  2. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Here's my take. I've got fixed-sighted guns (Colt, Uberti, US Firearms), for when I go play cowboy. But for serious shooting, my single actions are Blackhawks. I can not only dial the sights into my load, but they are easier to see.

For the same reason, I prefer the adjustable Single Six.

Barrel length is very personal, but, again my take, I've got three 7 1/2", four 6 1/2", one 3 1/2" and three 4 5/8" single actions. But I've got fourteen 5 1/2". That length just seems to fit me better. Better balance.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i have owned a super single six for over 30 years and will not ever get rid of it.the 5 and one half to me is the ticket but that is preference.it might be more work but a blue revolver will not galled like some stainless and dosnt shine in the sun if hunting.once again your choice. old semperfi
  5. todd51

Well I have been over at that rimfire site reading and reading. Just some of the things I was interested in. Thanks raydcarter for the suggestion. I know it is a personal thing but see a lot of preference for the 5.5 barrel length and both Alpo and Old Semperfi seem to sort of lean that way. Before starting this search I would say I favored the 5.5 in blue and still do.

One more question if you will put up with me. Is the quality on the current production equal to that of a few years back?

Ohio Gun Collectors Show is March 13 & 14 and will present the chance of finding an older New Model in like new or go with a fresh new manufacture. If not there is always the gun shop.

Thanks for the help.

Todd
  6. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i think the new models are just as well made but.......i would never part with my old model to find out.the one i have has never been converted ie safety issue.the bad thing is ruger will not sell me a part without doing mod.i do think since i have used it for over thirty years without trouble it will probably last another thirty.if you do buy a used one you can tell if the mod has been done simply by listening to the number of clicks when cock hammer.if you hear four clicks it has not been converted if only three it is either newer model or has had safety conversion.when carrying i always keep empty cylinder under hammer. old semperfi you choose wisely grasshopper
  7. Sandman

Sandman Member

I don't have a single six (yet) but I do have a blackhawk with a 6.5" barrel that I really like. If and when I make a single six or another blackhawk purchase, I will probably stick with the 6.5"
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I just traded a ruger mark 3 for a single six convertable in stainless 6.5 barrel like new condition. It is a jewel. I love it and will probably never sell it. Rugers are nice.
  9. greener

greener New Member

Single sixes are terrible guns. They lead to all kinds of problems. Problems like Blackhawks.:)

Great gun to have and to shoot. Everyone ought to have one.
  10. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Brother and I have used his to take a lot of rabbit, squirrel and pigeons since 1976. I doubt there has been more than200-300 rounds of 22 magnum through it but a ton of just about every brand of 22 LR ammo that we could find and it ate them all and spit them out just fine. His has the 4 5/8" and it is as accurate out to 25 yards as my S&W M41. Farther than that I would like better sights and a longer barrel. When anybody asks for a recommendation for a 22 cal handgun that one is the first one I suggest. It has proved itself for over 30 years and I think you will be happy no matter what your barrel length is.
  11. kingcuke

kingcuke Member

I have the 4 5/8 barrel version. You can't go wrong with the Single Six, it's absolutely a great pistol. Definitely get the convertible version with the .22 Mag cylinder.
    However if you're just looking for a cute little plinker the Bearcat is pretty cool too.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I have a single six 9.5" and absolutly no problems here! Love the gun.
  13. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have owned my Single Six for close to 30 years and it is as accurate as I am and a fun handgun to own. When I reach for a 22 handgun my hand always seems to find the SS in the safe and the others have become safe queens. I have the 5 1/2" model and like the balance with that BBL.
  14. todd51

Thank you all for the info. Went to a local gun show yesterday and there was only one Single Six worth consideration. It was a pristine Anniversary Model but wasn't the adjustable sight model. Had a price of $375 and was still in the box with everything. Looked new unfired. I passed as thanks to you all I have settled on the 5.5 inch with adjustable sights and the extra cylinder.

Lots of buying going on. All I purchased was a pound of Win. 231 and felt lucky to find that.

Big gun show this coming week end so will look there. Always the local gun shops too.
  15. tlm1771

tlm1771 New Member

I have a Ruger single six 22 LR with a 9 1/2" barrel. James Brown was the original owner of this gun which he purchased on 19 Jan 1972 in Oklahoma. I have no idea what it is worth, and ideas?