Ruger Single Six

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by todd51, Mar 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

May 8, 2009
    I considered that, then checked new vs used prices. A new SS would cost me $450 at the local CAL Ranch store - I got a used one at a gun show for $275.

2. Trigger

Trigger New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    As I am not a gun expert by any means I figure that my best luck would be with a new revolver.
    Not really sure what to look for in used firearms so I opted for the gun store again. (2 new guns in March)

Sure, I could have saved some money at a gun show, but this place is close and it's where I shoot.

Friday I put the new Six through it's paces.

3. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

May 8, 2009
    I didn't know what to look for either - so I took along a friend who did. Anyway, it's certainly your choice - evidently that was the right one for you. I guess I was shocked at how much the values decline on SS's as opposed to something like a S&W.

4. oldobie

oldobie New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Milwaukee
    I really like my Ruger Single six.
    Is there a serial number database, I would like to know when mine was made.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2007
    NW Florida
    Go to ruger.com Under "customer service", there is a link about "history and owners manuals". Click on that, then revolvers, then New Model Single Six, and you get the "date of birth" page.

7. oldobie

oldobie New Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Milwaukee
    Thanks for the born on date. I didn't think it was that old. I guess I better shoot it more often. It is cheaper to shoot then the 45's I own.

8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    I have had one for about 5 yrs now. Its somewhat of a mut now. I always wanted an all steel single six... Soooo. I began piecing one together. Mine wears a grip frame from a ruger new model vaquero and an ejector rod housing form a 50th anniversary blackhawk. thereby eliminating all the aluminum parts... Its considerably heavier that it started out;)

9. Trigger

Trigger New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I made it to the range twice over last weekend with the 2 newbies in the family........ MKIII and the Single Six.
    Although I am admittedly a wheel man by nature, I gotta tell ya that I really like the MKIII! After putting somewhere around 1,300+ rounds of assorted ammo through her I only had a handfull of FTE's or FTF's.
    With all of the mixed reviews of that gun I was expecting far worse from an 'out of the box/stock' gun.

Couldn't wait to pop off a few rounds out of the great Single Six. Never read a bad thing about those.
    Obviously no FTE issue with a revolver and only one FTF (due to ammo) but I just can not get it to shoot straight.
    Left every time.

Fine with the MKIII, but the SS goes left.
    I adjusted the rear sight to the right but I am still left.
    Every time.

Could be that my hand is too big for it?
    Not sure but it does seem a little small to me.

I do get lazy trigger finger after a while and stray a little left but I really payed attention to what I was doing with this gun.

I hope to take my wife with next trip and she what she does with it.

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2007
    Heart Of Texas
    Switch hands trigger. some people simply cannot shoot ambidextrously but its good practice none the less;) See if it still shoots left

11. MYREDTAIL

MYREDTAIL New Member

Nov 5, 2010
    I just orderd a Single Six Convertable in Blue with a 6 1/ 2" BBL & adj sight's & has a rubber style grip's on it NIB for $433.00 I cant wait to try it out on some Bunnies during the small game season here.

12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Ohio NRA Member
    Congrat's on your new purchase, I'm sure you wont be disappointed.

13. QB Too

QB Too New Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Great purchase. I love my Single Sixes. Have some new grips on order for one of mine and put a set of Blackhawk grips on the other. These are 4 5/8" which is my favorite barrel length. The gun in the bottom picture has the unfluted .22 WMG cylinder in it.

If you can, post a picture of yours once you get it.

[​IMG]

14. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Southern Indiana

I work for a guy named steve miller. I should buy his single six.