ruger single six

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by old semperfi, Aug 3, 2010.

1. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    my ruger single six has been with me for a long time,right now its 43 years old and still shoots like new.to those of us lucky enough to have one you can go to the ruger site and click on customer service and then history and with serial number find out when yours was manufactured.i bought mine new but i had had it so long i forgot when i bought it.i still have the original box and papers and if i wasnt getting creamated when i die i would have it buried with me. old semperfi
  2. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

That's good information old semperfi.
    I bought mine in "95" NIB/never fired, except from the factory, and it was mfg. in
    "85".
    IMO, they are one of the best they ever came out with, I love the one I have and absolutely love shooting it.
  3. wyoredot

wyoredot New Member

A very neat old weapon. I lost mine in a separation (arrggg) and replaced it recently with a newish SA .357 new model. It shoot like a Ruger, straight and true. Love 'em.
  4. raydcarter

raydcarter New Member

Geez - don't do that! Have it sent to me - I promise to take good care of it ;) It would go nicely with the collection my father in law left!
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Just have em crank the heat up in the creamator enough to melt the single six.
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

or take your ashes and pack them inside the barrel and cylinders.:eek::D. That would be one bad a*$ urn.
  7. mikld

mikld Active Member

My very first hand gun was a Ruger S.S.with both magnun lr.cylinders, bought in 1969. It was used but in excellent shape, and I still have her. I once shot a jack rabbit at about 125 yards with the SS using 22 mags. Took three shots to "walk up" the hits, but got it on the 4th shot. Great gun, and I think I'll pass it on when I go to someone that really appreciates guns.

How many .44 mag. reloads would it take to hold a 225 lb. man's ashes? Load 'em up, and go plinkin' in the woods!:D

P.S. Just found out my Single Six was made in 1966. Cool!
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2010
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Funny you ask... About a year ago a rather heartbroken old woman came into the shop with an urn full of her recently passed husbands ashes, a highly decorated man who served in WW2 and Korea. It was documented in his will that his remains be cremated and placed into dummy .30-06 rounds and given to his only son along with a Winchester made Garand that he supposedly carried in WW2. I did the work and filled about 800 cases with him and put the old mil surp bullets bach in with a dab of sealer and packed him back in the ammo can. I didnt quite have enough of him left to completely fill the last case so i made a keepsake for his wife with it. I ended up getting to keep about 6 1/2 pounds of an unknown extruded propellant that I salvaged out of the mil-surp ammo which I ended up spreading out in my wifes garden. That was a wierd experience, but it made me feel good inside;)
  9. raveneap

raveneap New Member

Bought my Single Six a number of years ago and enjoyed it. Then one day I was offered a really good price for it. Sold it but soon knew I had to have another so .. went to my LGS and bought a new one. They're great .22's.
    [​IMG]
  10. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

single sixes are some neat guns. here's mine, early production new model with buffalo horn grips from eagle.

Attached Files:

11. MYREDTAIL

MYREDTAIL New Member

I just orderd a Blue one with a 61/2 " bbl & the rubberized grip from my dealer $433.00 with tax inc.
  12. Brian48

Brian48 New Member

I cherish mine. Bought this one back in '91 or '92 at a Jacksonville pawn shop right off base (Camp Lejeune) for $125 out the door.

[ignore the 22/45 - I sold that off already]
    [​IMG]

An incredible price even back then. It didn't come with a box, but it was in "like new" condition and came along with the matching .22mag cylinder. It is the only gun I still have from my days in the USMC living in NC and is staying with me for life.
  13. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I had one. I did not shoot it much so I sold it to a buddy that loved it more than me. When I had it I noticed the groups all looked the same. So one day I put up 6 targets and shot each target with only one chamber for several groups. I had six seperate very tight groups. If they could have made all 6 chambers exactly the same it would have been a one holer at 25 yards.

It was a great gun. It just was not my style so I did the gun a favor and sold it to a buddy that will give it a better home than I did.
  14. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

Hey SemperFi. I have an Old Model Ruger Single-Six w/Magnum cylinder. Made in 1967 bought in 1967. Gave it to my father as a Christmas gift. Original 3 screw. Fantistic shooter. Got it back in 2006 when he passed on. He shot a few squirrels with it and I carry in the woods also. Priceless.
  15. Diamondback

Diamondback Active Member

BTW the asking price was $69.95.
  16. MYREDTAIL

MYREDTAIL New Member

I can't wait to get mine & try it out on some Rabbit's during this year's small game hunting, I am loaded up with RF ammo some CCI Stingers & about 500 rds of the Rem Yellow jacket's, hopefully only head shot's with this ammo to save the meat for eating.?
  17. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Great shooting revolvers, mine likes the cci blazers.
  18. steve666

steve666 New Member

19. ghrit

ghrit New Member

I got mine in Wyoming in 73, NIB at the LGS, paid 80 frns for it, IIRC. I can't begin to figure the number of rounds down the pipe, but plenty. Dunno the year it was built, and really could care less with effort. Value? It's MINE and I don't care, I'm keeping it until the grass rug is rolled over me. My fave gun locker resident, beyond doubt.
  20. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Shot my brothers 1976 model at 100 yards 2 days ago. 9 out of 10 shots on paper and if I would ever adjust the sights they would all have been where they belong, shooter not the gun. I love it as a beginners trainer, for small game hunting and for silly games like 100 yard shooting. Wasn't even using high speed ammo, CCI Blazer 40 gr standard velocity because I have 4500 rounds of it and it was cheap. 30 years ago when my hands were steady and my eyes were good I shot that gun as accurately as I did my S&W 41 target pistol. You have to love a gun like that.