Ruger SP101 for CC?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by Unknownphynix, Jun 24, 2011.

1. Unknownphynix

Unknownphynix New Member

I am in the process of buying a 2" .357 s101. Is this recommended for SD in public (not in home). Since it fires hotter rounds, and slightly heavier frame I know it will kick a little. Does anyone here carry a Ruger s101? Is it comfortable to shoot? If the SHTF would u trust it to defend you and loved ones. I'm REALLY confused on what .357 to get. My 686 is by means impractical for CC. But I really want a .357 CC gun. I also like the S&W Pro Series .357.

Plus, I'm only 5'9" 150lbs, is the SP101 a good SD gun? Or is there any other recommendations? Danke
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Well, I'm 5'7" and 160, so a little more round..;), but I have a SP101 in 327 Federal and love it. I have no problems with it; it is a little bit heavier than other options out there, but I dont' mind, it's comfortable for me. It conceals very well and there's not much worry about the finish. I like the idea of 6 rounds vs 5 too.
  3. Unknownphynix

Unknownphynix New Member

I could agree more. That's the only wrinkle is the 5 shot cap.
  4. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

I had an SP101 for years and carried it often. Its a very solid, reliable revolver, and can digest about any factory hot load in bulk. Over time, I became enamored with light weight, less bulky revolvers, and eventually sold off my SP101 and have carried a S&W 37 Airweight ever since.
  5. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Stoke up that ole .357 with some SD ammo like Hornady Critical Defense, some Federal Hydra-Shok® JHP, or even some Winchester Silver Tips. These bullets are loaded down, not hot, and they won't present the .357 problem of over penatration. The SP101 is a heavy gun for a 5 shot revolver, but it does the job in spades. The loads I have mentioned are only a little hotter than a .38+P. These rounds from a .357 do have more recoil than a .38, and the noise factor, along with the muzzle flash from the hotter rounds are not pleasant to a lot of shooters. This is one reason a lot of folks just go with the .38+P.
  6. Unknownphynix

Unknownphynix New Member

Thank you guys for the helpful hints. Will use that for my consideration on a new CC revolver.
  7. Python

Python Former Guest

Speer GDHP Short Barrel 135 gr. or Blazer aluminum 158 gr. HP in 357. Both are good defense rounds and both are low re-coil..
  8. woodsong

woodsong New Member

I'll sometimes carry my 2" hammerless SP-101. Usually with .357 Gold Sabers, but occasionally with .38+P. It's heavy enough to buffer the .357 recoil; it's one of the more comfortable carry weapons I have in a Crossbreed Supertuck at about 4:30.

Only problem is that I haven't found a speedloader that works with the longer .357 rounds -- they bump into the cylinder release (.38 works just fine, though). I'm using Speedstrips for reloads now -- about as fast as a speedloader if you work at it.
  9. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

Mine is the 3 in model and I do carry it at times in a Simply Rugged. I find it to be just a bit heavy and thick for carry, but not what I consider uncomfortable. Python and Carver have good recs on carry loads, I use the Speer short barrel. I've never used them, but 38 +p are often recommended for SD and should be a little softer shooting. With the stock grips and Hogue, I haven't had any problems with using speedloaders, but they would not work with Pachmayr Compacts.
  10. sliclee

sliclee New Member

I carry the 101,357, 3" barrel, I tried the 2 1/2" but decided the extra 1/2 was worth it. I carry in a tiny holster in the small of the back, I have no big stomach, Im lean or another attached to my belt in the groin. I dont sit with it holstered in a vehicle but walking around with a shirt out it doesnt print, show the outline, that much.
    I changed the grips to smaller and smoother, to use a speed loader,you must grind off a bit of the grip on the left side works perfect. Its a 5 shot, got that,your not expecting a war, your carrying it hoping to never have to shoot. Cut off part of the hammer, it got caught once, they didnt make the BOB hammer then.
    I only use hot ammo, I tried what to me was the hottest,fastest most deadly in that caliber and tried all of them. Which shot the best,accurate.This gun is not for going to the range and shooting it all day but you can with milder ammo. It is a Ruger, the tank of guns.
    Bought my wife a S&W 2 1/2 high polish, put white grips, she took my Ruger, I sold her gun.
    My ammo is Win 110 grain JHP,1250, it is rated at 80%, I can hit anything to 25, into 3"the gun gets warm fast, can shot many.
    Federal 125 grain JHP-1425fps-the gun gets very hot after 2 shots, it is the most powerful, only under terrible conditions, accuracy disappears after the second shot. If in my gun, I have in the cyl a 125 to shoot the rest 110 with separate speed loaders of again the same load because of the heat. if Im going on a trip but then I wont take that gun.
  11. CB350

CB350 New Member

My first carry gun was a 2 1/2 inch SP101 in .357 Magnum. I put a clipdraw on it and carried it inside the waistband. The ammo was Winchester .357 110 gr JHP. However, the pistol was heavy and fairly thick, so I ended up carrying a Kel Tec P-3AT in .380 instead. The SP101 is now a house gun for my wife, loaded with Magtech 38 Spl +P 125 gr JHP.
  12. popgun

popgun New Member

too heavy