ruger sp101

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Slimslam, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

I just picked up a Ruger SP101 (hammerless) .357. I'm having trouble finding a holster for it. Any recommendations for a outside-the-waist or shoulder holster? Thanks
    ss
  2. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I really liked my SP-101. Because I build my own holsters, I have no idea which would be the best commercial one for it. I'd take it into a gunshop and hold it against the Uncle Mikes and suchlike until you see one that looks right. Most shops will let you open the package (carefully) and try it.

Pops
  3. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

What type? Paddle or with belt loops?

Crossdraw? Hip or Backside?

How high do yu want it to ride on your belt?

Is this for use as a CCW?

What material do you like? Leather; Kydex; Sharkskin; Exotic leather...?

More information please.
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  4. Slimslam

Slimslam New Member

Well, it is for concealed. Backside not desired. Crossdraw or hip would be preferred (or any other ideas). Currently I have a DeSantis NYPAD paddle which rides high enough except the grip tends to protrude (IOW, it doesn't stay as close to my body as I would like). I wear a fairly stiff belt too. Leather, Kydex is preferred as it must support the sp101 weight. Thanks
    slimslam
  5. Bucky Bronco

Bucky Bronco New Member

I have a Taurus 431 in .44Spl. I was impressed with the Triple-K IWD holster. A simple an inexpensive design ($30). I must admit my wear is occasional and not frequent, so for the money it was a good buy. I am not law inforcement. I do plan to use same for my Ruger Speed Six.
  6. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

first tried a Uncle Mikes and absolutely hated it. Very uncomfortable. Looked around and ended up with a "Workman" from Mitch rosen. Awsome! Been buying nothing but his leather since. It's really top quality stuff. You get what you pay for!
  7. Bucky Bronco

Bucky Bronco New Member

In addition to my recommendation above try a Street Combat 88 from El Paso Saddlery. Top quality, lined, no thumbstrap but an internal retention clip that is foolproof. I have one for my .45 ACP Kimber Commander and my 4" N-Frame Smiths. I think you'll like it and the workmanship is superb. I use these holsters almost exclusively. Disclaimer: I count the late president of the company--Bobby McNellis--my best friend and long time brother in arms so I am predjudiced.[​IMG]