The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger SR1911 Commander

Tags
1911 ruger
8K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
At the shot show a few weeks ago Ruger showed the SR1911 Commander. Kyles gun shop in Ohio happened to have one yesterday with a ticket of 9 Bills on it.

#2 ·
No thanks. I will take the remington carry commander over the ruger in a heartbeat. For that matter, I will take my desert eagle commander over the ruger....just not that impressed with the ruger...

#3 ·
No thanks. I will take the remington carry commander over the ruger in a heartbeat. For that matter, I will take my desert eagle commander over the ruger....just not that impressed with the ruger...
I am in no way trying to start a pissing match. I do value DoubleD's opinion. What is it that does not impress you about the Ruger 1911? I have another 1911 on my long list but I am not an expert on 1911's. I have been looking at the Ruger and like the commander size. If you want to PM me to avoid opening up a can of worms that will work.

#4 ·
No problem. we all have our own opinions. I have held and fired one ruger 1911 and was not that impressed with it. I own 22 1911s and am continuing to add to that collection and I may end up with a ruger eventually, but there is a dozen others I would rather have before buying one. If the ruger is tops on your list, thats great, thats why there are so many different gun makers and different choices, more power to ya.

#5 ·
Old guy I am with Dan on this one. I had the SR 1911 and sold it because of 2 reasons. The grip safety is made of some type of pot metal or aluminum and it rattled quite a bit. The other reason was I made money on the gun. A guy bugged me to death to sell it to him and i did at a profit.
I have a Sig XO model one of the lower models that sig makes and it is a far better gun ii my opinion.
The new Commander SR 1911 has a price tag of 900 dollars on it and for that kind of money there are far better guns out there and far cheaper guns that will run with the Ruger all day long. The RIA's run about 1/2 that price and are superior guns for that money. ATI is another gun that is a great buy for the money. The STI guns arent as cheap as the RIA's but way more gun for the money than the Ruger is. Dont overlook the imported gun as they are made from the same patterns as the high end gun just maybe not as nicely finished. If youre looking for a shooter and not a safe queen.

#6 ·
9 bills! OUCH,

No thanks. I'll keep my Citadel and buy a Rock Island for less than that. A custom Kimber could be worth that... An SR1911 - not for me.

#7 ·
Honestly, look at the fit and finish of several guns first. I honestly believe the fit and finish of my desert eagle is better. I know its not stainless. That goes for several others I own. But, this is my opinion and you know what they say about opinions.......

Attachments

#8 ·
The new Remington carry...again, not a stainless and this is a picture of the full size. I just would much rather own this over a ruger....

Attachments

#9 ·
Dang, now I am going to have to rethink. I have been wanting a Ruger 1911 since I first saw them. I will have to money for one in a few days and now I am not sure any more after reading this thread. I love SIGs but I don't think I will get enough to buy one of them.

I found a Ruger for $699 which is a fair price in the present market. I don't know how much a Sig will cost, I better start researching.

#10 ·
George, I wasnt trying to change your mind, only stating my opinion and saying that folks should take a look at what is out there. Some folks feel that the ruger is the best 1911 they have ever seen. Its all in the eye of the beholder....

#11 · (Edited)
Well, it is right pretty, but your opinion is worth a lot to me, and then I read JUNKs comment about the pot metal and rattling. . . . started me thinking about something else. I am sure I can find a SIG SS 1911 for around $900-$1000 which is the most that I would spend. I looked at Bud's website and saw a Sig SS compact for $913, the full size one has the "Price on Request" button it which I haven't "pushed" yet.

EDIT: I just "pushed" the Price on Request button and the price is $969.00 (includes shipping) for the Sig Sauer 1911 Scorpion. I don't love the sand/tan looking color but it has some beautiful grips on it and it is a SIG.

#12 ·
The scorpion is an awesome gun...I really like mine...a little pricy, yes.

#13 ·
I have a rifle on "that auction site" and right now the bid is $800. If it reaches $969, I will order the Scorpion from Buds immediately upon receiving the funds. If not I will wait a few days for my Army retirement check to get deposited to pick up what the rifle sale doesn't get me. My LGS is all ready in Bud's list of FFL holders in this area.

#14 ·
Thanks for the input. i currently have a Springer Loaded Parked 5" that I really like to shoot. Would like to add to the family but want to spend wisely. If I could afford STI they have a couple of models that I really like. I will have to look at the Remington as well. And I love the Sig Scorpion but I was told that a Sig is not to full 1911 spec so that you cannot use common parts to tweak the gun. I may have been told incorrectly, but again I look to you guys who have tons of experience for input.

#15 ·
I will chime in on this. I have a Ruger SR1911. I don't regret buying it however there are others I would rather have. My Ruger is a good gun, but not quite as refined as others. It is ok because in the end I will end up with many different ones and it will let me compare as I go. I want the Springfield, the Remington, and the Colt of course. Also the Kimber, oh well. I bought the Ruger because it was affordable and it was there. If it had been the Springfield of Remington then I would have picked one of those. In the end I will have many of them and by then Dan will have even more then he does now. That's what I call having your priorities right. As far as opinions, most guys are not single action guys, but I am and I don't care. Shoot what you like, and buy what you like. That's why there's so many choices and that is what makes our country so great. I don't see any other country pumping out as many different styles of guns like our country does. If you like guns, your alright with me.

#16 ·
Jim
IFound your Kimber......

#18 ·
I just recently picked up my Ruger SR1911. Bought it because I liked it
Have found no rattles and it is really accurate. I also have a Kimber Desert
Warrior. Love both guns. Each are different, but that is what buying different guns is all about. I will never criticize another man's gun. To me that is like telling him his dog is ugly

#19 ·
I just recently picked up my Ruger SR1911. Bought it because I liked it
Have found no rattles and it is really accurate. I also have a Kimber Desert
Warrior. Love both guns. Each are different, but that is what buying different guns is all about. I will never criticize another man's gun. To me that is like telling him his dog is ugly
Good, glad you like your ruger. Many people believe they are a better gun than most 1911s produced today. They must be OK, ruger is selling them by the thousands and cant keep up with production. That says something. I am just a hick from the sticks that has an opinion. Dont take it to heart.

#20 ·
So far I have dumped two S/A's, four Colts, one Kimber, and a Smith, in favor of the Two Rugers I currently own.

I didn't bother with the Remington, I'm out on the 80's firing pin setup.

When I really want to hit something bad, I whip out the S/A Long Slide .45 ACP, 6" bull barrel.

One of my SR's has a 5 1/2" barrel, and W/C guts, nice trigger! Both are a little on the hefty side.

I am currently carrying a GLOCK 36 (single stack, 6+1 .45 ACP) more and more each day, and am considering a 30S (double stack 9+1, .45 ACP, slim, 20 oz.).

1911's north of a grand are for yuppies! JMOHO!

#21 ·
So far I have dumped two S/A's, four Colts, one Kimber, and a Smith, in favor of the Two Rugers I currently own.

When I really want to hit something bad, I whip out the S/A Long Slide .45 ACP, 6" bull barrel.

One of my SR's has a 5 1/2" barrel, and W/C guts, nice trigger! Both are a little on the hefty side.

I am currently carrying a GLOCK 36 (single stack, 6+1 .45 ACP) more and more each day, and am considering a 30S (double stack 9+1, .45 ACP, slim, 20 oz.).

I wish you would have called me...choosing a ruger over all the guns you listed, well, I wont comment on that, I just wish you would have called me....

#22 ·

I like everything that Ruger makes but I would have traded 2 Ruger 1911's for one Colt or one Kimber. Just because I wanted one did not mean I thought it was the best. I know I just want one of all and several of others. In order of preference for me, give or take would be: Colt, Kimber, Springfield, Remington, and then the Ruger. Like I say I got the Ruger because it was there and the price was marginal. There are many more 1911's I would like but this is a good starting list.

#23 ·
Now that I have the money in hand, the place that had the Rugers in stock have sold out of them. If that had been my final decision, I would now be out so luck, anyway. I went over to my LGS yesterday to see what he had and I tell you, there was slim pickens. I have never seen his store so bare, and I am talking not just 1911s, I mean everything.

In the 1911 case, he had about 1/2 a dozen Kimbers, a couple of ATI 4 inch, and a Springfield Range Officer. I picked up and fondled just about all of the different choices, not so much the Kimbers cause I just don't care much for them. The Springer was just south of $900 and the ATI was just over $450. I know there is no comparison between the two but I think I will buy the ATI. I was leaning toward the Springer but I can buy the ATI and another small framed pistol for that $900.

My son is carrying my small Beretta .32 and I want to put it back in the safe. I think the second small framed pistol will be a Kel-tec P3AT or a Diamondback .380. I will let him use that and take the Beretta back.

#24 ·
Now that I have the money in hand, the place that had the Rugers in stock have sold out of them. If that had been my final decision, I would now be out so luck, anyway. I went over to my LGS yesterday to see what he had and I tell you, there was slim pickens. I have never seen his store so bare, and I am talking not just 1911s, I mean everything.

In the 1911 case, he had about 1/2 a dozen Kimbers, a couple of ATI 4 inch, and a Springfield Range Officer. I picked up and fondled just about all of the different choices, not so much the Kimbers cause I just don't care much for them. The Springer was just south of $900 and the ATI was just over $450. I know there is no comparison between the two but I think I will buy the ATI. I was leaning toward the Springer but I can buy the ATI and another small framed pistol for that $900.

My son is carrying my small Beretta .32 and I want to put it back in the safe. I think the second small framed pistol will be a Kel-tec P3AT or a Diamondback .380. I will let him use that and take the Beretta back.
If I had $900.00 and a Springfirld in my hand, I don't know if I could have set the Springfield down. I want one pretty bad.

#25 · (Edited)
This is an ATI that I have George....You would be real surprised how accurate this little gun is....fit an finish is nice too. No complaints..

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.