Ruger SR1911 slide wont open

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ckelley, Jul 13, 2012.

1. ckelley

ckelley Member

At the range this evening and my uncle was shooting my 1911 when it failed to fire. I pulled the mag and when to rack the slide but it wouldnt move. Any suggestions on how to free up the slide and get the round out?
  2. dad2thebone

dad2thebone New Member

When mine did that i kept racking it till it broke loose. Not beating it but back and forth jigglen the damn thing , good luck
  3. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

You may have a swollen barrel due to a "double fire" meaning that you had a projectile stuck in the barrel and the next fired round pushed it out and expanded the barrel and now the barrel busing is keeping things closed up tight.

Shine a light down the muzzle to see if there is an obstruction. You may be able to see the brass from the spent round. It takes considerable force to break the barrel bushing, and probably you will be using a steel punch or rod. It took me several blows with a large hammer to break mine. I had to replace the barrel and barrel bushing, but now it works like a champ and is even more accurate than before....

You may want to let a gunsmith do the dirty deed for you....I took mine to a gunsmith and he gave up, so I had no choice, it was either force it free or hang it on the wall.....Good Luck!
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

let us know what happens
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The first thing I'd do is pm Hammerslager of JLA. They both have a wealth of knowledge. Secondly, and my caution may be due to ignorance, but I wouldn't be looking down the muzzle at this point. Finally, how old is your Ruger? If there's any damage, they should take care of it. They don't have a warranty per se, but they stand behind their products. It might be worth a call to them right now if normal clearing procedures wont work.
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

First off don't put anything down the barrel in an attempt to back the round out, and don't look down the barrel. People actually do both those things when that happens.

Get a wooden handled hammer (wear leather gloves and safety glasses, both of you) and have someone tap the palm safety while you try to pull the slide. In other words you will grab the slide with one hand and the bottom of the grip with the other hand but leave the palm safety open so it can be tapped lightly with a wooden handle. Start light and increase the tapping. Try to tug on the slide at the same time the palm safety is tapped. If that does not work then place the palm safety firmly against the wooden handle and then quickly snap the slide while pulling the pistol into the wooden handle.

Everyting is bound up and it won't take much to free it. Keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction. If you are at your home, point the muzle into the ground in a direction where nothing will be dameged. Proceed with caution.

Hope that helps,
    Jim

P.S. I am assuming a dud?
  7. 76Highboy

Think of a stuck automatic pistol this way.

It's like a door that shuts a little too tight. The door knowb won't turn. However, if you bump the pressure off of the door at the same time you turn the knob the latch frees up and the knob turns. It doesn't take much. That is the problem with your 1911. It is just jammed shut and needs to be bumped just right and it will free up.
  8. ckelley

ckelley Member

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. We managed to get it slide back on the gun and the brass came out. I disassembled the firearm and took a look down the barrel and the bullet was lodged it. Took a brass rod and tapped it out. The bullet showed only about 1/8" marks on it from the rifling in the barrel. Conclusion: That reloaded round did not get powder and when the primer when off the bullet jumped forward and the case must have gotten lodged between the bullet and chamber. I will be looking into a powder cop die in the future! Thanks everybody for your help!
  9. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm glad that it worked out as my Ruger is one of my favorite 1911's. Jamming may have prevented a catastrophe because if the spent (squib) casing had ejected, you may have very well reloaded and blown everything up.

There is a God for shooters.
  10. 76Highboy

How did you get it open? That is vital and valuable info for everyone to know.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have had this happen in the past and I was able to put the front of the slide on a wood 4x4 fence post and push forward to unjam it. You must always be very careful of course. Glad you got it figured out. Anytime you fire a round and something doesnt sound right, you always need to check for the possibility of a squib load.