Ruger SR1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Rugermanws, May 6, 2012.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I know from this forum that some of you lucky people already have one, is this .45 worth the money? I thought list price was $699 but I just got a new 2012 Ruger catalog and it's $799. I want to hear from you honest owners, not a gun show that has Ruger commercials on it, is this gun worth it? I can't seem to find anywhere here in Penna. that can keep them on their shelves. Thanking you in advance for your unbias opinion.
  2. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

Can't find any in Florida either
  3. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

May be awhile. Ruger has suspended new orders until backorders are filled.
  4. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Well Rugerman I was able to get one back in November. I had put my name on the list at the local gun shop and they called and said they had received some and I was eligible. I paid $719.00 which was high but I had seen them advertized for more. List at that time was $799.00. So I took the plunge. I am glad I got it. In fact I shot it today. Seemed like all the other Old Guys were tied up with something else and not free to go to the range so even though I don't like to go shooting alone any more it was too nice a day to waste.

I took five boxes of reloads, 230gr. FMJ, 4.8gr. HP-38, range was 50 feet. I got through three boxes of ammo before a neighbor to the range came over to see what all the noise was about. He wasn't complaining and really came over to show me his Colt AR with a match barrel that he had recently acquired. He didn't want to shoot just gab about guns and stuff so gab we did. I ran out of time to shoot those other two boxes of ammo. I was going to work on my Rob Leatham imitation:lmao: I have a lot of work to do because at this time the only thing I have in common with Rob is that my belly is about the same size as his:p

I have had no problems with the Ruger and I would buy one again. I did have some trouble feeding some reloads of flat nosed 200gr bullets and could never find a COL that worked. They work in the Colt so that is where they will be unloaded. Every thing else has worked flawlessly. Out of the 150 rounds today no bobbles of any kind.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  5. H-D

H-D Active Member

Awesome! can't wait to see one in person! or better to shoot one
  6. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

I havent seen any in this area since then came out!
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice looking 1911 Todd and nice target set-up!
    I like the words; "this aint Dodge City and you aint Bill Hickok" above your targets!
    Looks like a little incentive going on there to make the hits, I like that.
  8. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

SR 1911 is definitely a good gun from those who have one. I am still waiting on them to catch up on the production. We are beginning to see them here in NC and the one shop that I will purchase from has them at $629.00 plus tax. Maybe by Summer I will have the money and they will have a gun!
  9. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait. Sometimes that's a good thing if they have some bugs to work out but from what I hear there aren't any. Thanks for your input.
  10. JUNKKING

JUNKKING Active Member

Ruger I live in Elizabeth Township and belong to Pitcarin Monroeville sportsman club on rt 48. I have a sr1911 and you are more than welcome to meet me somewhere to check the gun out and fire it to see if you like it before you buy one. I will send you a Personal message.
  11. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I dont want to talk anyone out of buying a gun they have their heart set on buying, but, there are numerous 1911s out there that are comparable or better for the price and you dont have to worry about someone gouging you on price. Now, which ones are they? Well, the remington R-1 enhanced although it is not a stainless gun, it comes well equipped and there is the sig sauer and the smith & wesson E series and the STI spartan and many more that will hang with or out shoot the ruger all day long. Even many of the Philippine made guns are great shooters. But, I guess if you are only going to own one 1911 and you want a ruger, go for it.
  12. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Small world, I belong to Mckeesport Sportsman Assoc. The reason I didn't switch is I'm a lifetime member and my dues are only $10.00 a year. I mostly shoot at the outdoor range during our milder climates, their indoor range really sucks.
  13. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

As you can tell I am a Ruger fan but I do own a 70 series Combat Commander but it's stock. Since this was Ruger entry into the 1911's I thought I might buy one, time will tell. Thanks your your advise.
  14. Cuba

Cuba New Member

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  15. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

[​IMG]

I own a couple of 1911’s, including Kimber or two. I walked into a LGS yesterday and on the door was a sign with a picture of a 1911 Semi automatic. It read “Limited Offer Ruger SR1911 $549.99.”

I’d been keeping my eye out for another 1911 and although it was viewed as a Mythological Creature by several other folks, I’d actually seen a couple. They were for the most part on their way out the door though. This particular store caters to Police and they’re on the “list”.

[​IMG]

They’d gotten 6 in this morning. By 3:330 there was one left in the display. Ruger lists Suggested Retail as $799.99; I can do that sort of math. It followed me home.

I brought her home and cleaned her up. Disassembly is interesting. They went with a standard 1911 wrench for dealing with the recoil spring with no paper clip type disassembly pin. Much easier.
  16. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

17. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Thanks slowhand, go ahead and rub dirt in my eye. I'm getting one when I see one.
  18. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

:)

I went out to buy some ammunition at Sportsmans Warehouse this afternoon. I asked the kid behind the counter if they ever got in any Ruger SR1911? He said rarely and they go the same day. They only get a couple in each time and they're spoken for. How much are you selling them for? $630.00 was the reply. Interesting price I said. You looking for one? Nope, just checking.:rolleyes:

I got real lucky.
  19. Alan Brooks

Alan Brooks New Member

I purchased one back in March, walked into my LGS at lunch one day to pick up some ammo and a regular daily shipment had just landed ahead of me walking in. I was not on any waiting list but inquired about getting on one when the clerk behind the counter said he had one arrive that day and it would be gone in a couple of hours if I did not want to purchase. Which surprised me thinking that maybe he did have a list but if I was ready to purchase he was ready to sell. Apparently timing was everything, my out the door price was $649.00 and of course 6% sales tax. My suggestion is check back frequently if you can figure out their daily receiving routine and be 1st in line.
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I would buy one.

If you need a budget 1911 to get you in the game. Check out Rock Island Armory. They are excellent starter 1911's.