Ruger SR1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by Rugermanws, May 6, 2012.

1. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

2. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

Thanks slowhand, go ahead and rub dirt in my eye. I'm getting one when I see one.
  3. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

:)

I went out to buy some ammunition at Sportsmans Warehouse this afternoon. I asked the kid behind the counter if they ever got in any Ruger SR1911? He said rarely and they go the same day. They only get a couple in each time and they're spoken for. How much are you selling them for? $630.00 was the reply. Interesting price I said. You looking for one? Nope, just checking.:rolleyes:

I got real lucky.
  4. Alan Brooks

Alan Brooks New Member

I purchased one back in March, walked into my LGS at lunch one day to pick up some ammo and a regular daily shipment had just landed ahead of me walking in. I was not on any waiting list but inquired about getting on one when the clerk behind the counter said he had one arrive that day and it would be gone in a couple of hours if I did not want to purchase. Which surprised me thinking that maybe he did have a list but if I was ready to purchase he was ready to sell. Apparently timing was everything, my out the door price was $649.00 and of course 6% sales tax. My suggestion is check back frequently if you can figure out their daily receiving routine and be 1st in line.
  5. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

I would buy one.

If you need a budget 1911 to get you in the game. Check out Rock Island Armory. They are excellent starter 1911's.
  6. jh45gun

jh45gun New Member

I am not a huge Ruger fan in fact after owning them for years and not being that excited about them having issues with some and with the exception of a couple of guns that were good the rest gave me fits. I do not own any more Rugers I have found better more accurate guns for the money BUT the 1911 is a proven design that is made by a lot of companies now. I doubt even Ruger could screw it up. Congrats on your gun. My Self I am more than satisfied with my RIA Tactical.
  7. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Just in case you haven't seen the Remington R1
    http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/varmithunter/REMINGTON/Copy2ofDSC_0510.jpg

[​IMG]
    I have Rugers and Brownings and Berettas, but the R1 is the first .45. It is, as I said on the Rem R1 post, about the same money. I like the looks of the Ruger, but I really wanted the Remington because the company had not made a pistol in nearly 100 years. I think it was worth the wait. DF
  8. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

Nice looking Remington.
  9. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

The R-1 does come in stainless, saw one today. I passed on the Remington because of the firing pin safety.

I have a Sig, Smith, Colt, Springfield mil-Spec SS, Springfeild Loaded SS, and a Kimber Ultra Carry SS (Pre II), all great guns, but I can't say that any of them can actually "Outshoot" the Ruger. The Ruger is my pick of the whole lot of them, 2nd choice of the bunch would be the Springer "Loaded", wich BTW is made in Brazil. The Springer "Mil-Spec" is made in the U.S. along with all the rest, except the Sig, wich is German.

The ILS and flat MSH were 86'd on both Springers, replaced with Colt arched MSH's w/Std. mainsprings.
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

Not crazy about their firing pin safety, but the SS R-1 is a great looking pistol!
  11. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

It took me a while to dig up the recpt. I paid $609- for mine. I paid for the gun up front as soon as I learned that they were released, then waited around 5 months for it to arrive. I had one of the 1st ones in the Nashville area. I have owned Rugers on and off over the last 40 some years and knew it would be a quality piece, I have come to expect that from them over the years.

After owning it while I can say it is as good as any 1911 out there. Out of all my 1911's it was the most affordable, the most expensive was my Springfield Loaded at around a grand, I bought my Kimber used but it would have retailed at about a G also. I would not have a problem paying $799- for another one if that is what it takes.

I like all of my 1911's and enjoy shooting each but for general carry its the SR 1911 for me, and if and when the SHTF, I will be grabbing for what I believe to be the most reliable rod of the bunch, the Ruger.
  12. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

I have had mine for about a month now $799+tax. In my area it is still one of the best buys for a 1911 less $$$$ than the Rem.s Sig's and the others. 300 rounds thru it and not a problem of any kind. If I needed or wanted one again I would buy it in a heart beat.
  13. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Your area must be high. The dealer price is 535.00 on the ruger. The dealer price on the remington mil spec is 549.00 If I were selling either one in my store (which I am not) the ruger would be 579.00 and the remington would be 589.00 give or take ten bucks. I had one ruger while my shop was open and I sold it for 609.00 because I had to pay some extra shipping on it.
  14. 1911junkee

1911junkee New Member

Picked up another SR1911, traded my Kimber UC that I paid six bills for, I will get way more use out of the Ruger. I have given up on subcompacts.

This gun has had no more than a box of rounds through it, clean as a pin!
  15. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I paid $649.00 for my Ruger 1911.