ruger sr1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by 1911 man, Apr 21, 2011.

1. 1911 man

1911 man New Member

Finally a 1911 by ruger,Looks great but has a cast frame. Any thoughts?
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

If it is a Ruger,it should be a good gun. I have not seen any pictures of it and I don't think I have read any reviews
  3. ivarr

ivarr New Member

is the extractor external like other ruger semi's ???

i don't like externals
  4. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

1911 man:

All Rugers use investment casting and have been for over 50 years. The only exception I can think of is the MK I, II, and III 22 pistols whose basic design is circa. 1947. I think the process has been flushed out of any problems. Ruger for years was THE place for investment casting of any sort for anything. They have a subsidiary they started up that does it themselves and others and has for many decades. They are a leader in the process.

Think about it. The big parts forming process heralded by many is a billet part. What does that mean? It means it is whittled out of a big block of metal by a computer operated machine. But the metal is a CAST chunk of metal.

The process that offers stronger parts for a given cross section is a forged machined part (like Colts 1911 and others). Many of the 1911's on the market today are investment cast. The key to them is superior choices of metals. Many earlier manufactured forged 1911's did not have the choices of alloys of steel that are available today. An investment cast frame of the correct better alloy is perhaps stronger than a forged frame of inferior metal.

I would not let the fact that the Ruger is investment cast deter me from buying one. If I liked the gun I'd buy it. If anything ever happens to it because of the investment cast pieces, I know Ruger will stand behind it. They always have. But I know of no problem in the past with Ruger investment cast guns. If there were problems we most certainly would hear about it here!

LDBennett
  5. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

6. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That old man has to coolest whiskers ever.

Imma get me a Ruger SR1911 just because its american and 20 yd offhand accuracy was lookin good...
  7. TheGunClinger

TheGunClinger Active Member Supporting Member

Yup, cool whiskers and cool 1911. Might have to have one one of these days. Notice in the vid that there is always got to be one flyer?
  8. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Once they start hitting the suppliers I can sell them for 587.00 plus shipping.
  9. NGIB

NGIB New Member

Thank the good Lord they put the obligatory safety warning on the bottom of the dust cover and not the side of the slide. They are going to be stiff competition at that price range, yup I'd pay $100 more for one of these than a PI built gun (and I like the PI built guns)...
  10. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

yeah i got to pick one of these up, i cant wait just to get my hands on one.
  11. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

The fellow I purchase from has 100 on order right now and counting. I suppose it's possible one might end up in my man cave? I don't see how you can go wrong with a Ruger!
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

PM me when you get them in. If the BATF man aint come to visit me by then Ill have you transfer me one to the shop...
  13. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I like it!

Dan, If my local shop doesn't come close to that, I might have to drop by and visit you the next time I go to Florida and have you send another 1911 up this way!
  14. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Well hopefully they actually start making and shipping them. You usually see ads for them long before they start distribution. Then, when they are in demand, my suppliers list them as "allocated item" which means that the salesmen get a limited quantity and their best customers get the guns. We will see. Me being the little guy puts me at the bottom of that list. Its all about the money.
  15. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

An American tradition all made in America!!! Now that is something to get wound up about. I like the pricing and may just have to add one to the collection! It will be interesting to see the growth from this first model.
  16. .45 acp nut

.45 acp nut New Member

Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  17. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Man, That baby looks super nice!
    Been out if the 1911 stuff for quite a while but this one just might pull me back in!
  18. the yooper

the yooper New Member

ya that baby looks nice. going to stroke one when they get in the stores. cant wate for that and the rem to try them.
  19. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

20. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    That's a lot of gun for $800! And if they can be had cheaper, then it becomes a Super deal! It already has just about everything you would want on a custom 1911.