Ruger SR22

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by eddieE, Aug 8, 2012.

1. eddieE

eddieE New Member

During my search for a 22 pistol, I found the SR22. What is the consensus on this little pistol? I saw some reviews that looked really good.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Its a good little gun. Its on the range program were my shop is. Keep it clean and they run well. I know it definably out runs the mosquito and the P22.
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Moderator

Haven't used one. It seems to continue Ruger's recent trend of copying popular designs, though they have made some improvements on the P22 (instead of straight copies like their versions of Keltec guns).

While it's interesting, I'm too deep into the P22 at this point to feel like switching to almost the same thing.
  4. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I've run about 4000 rounds through mine. I really can't say enough good things about it. I love shooting it and everybody I hand it to feels the same way.
  5. BadWool

BadWool Former Guest

Obtained mine a few weeks ago so it is still near virgin, only has 30 rounds downrange so far. I love how it feels, looks, and performs (so far). Out of the box the sites were pretty well dialed in. The range I took it to has a kid's program twice a month, and I took my daughter to the last one. While there, somebody left their target up and the range guy said I could give my SR22 a try because the lane was open. Wanted to shoot it more but since I'm not a member of the range I didn't want to exploit their courtesy.

Definitely one to enjoy, and it now stands ready to back up the SR9 should I require it for HD.
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

"It seems to continue Ruger's recent trend of copying popular designs,"--CJ

Of course, Ruger's 'claim to fame' has always been to copy
    [and improve] from gun #1 that Bill Ruger produced....
    can you say Colt SAA.....;)
  7. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Speaking of .22lr semi-autos....
    [and the SR22 if fine]
    JLA.....whatever happened to the 'test' you were
    conducting on your Bersa .22 ? I have lost track of that thread....
    Now THAT is a .22lr semi-auto.......[Bersa Thunder .22lr/Firestorm .22lr]
  8. eddieE

eddieE New Member

Thanks for all the positive remarks. I think this will be the gun I get next. The price is right, $290.....can't be beat!
  9. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

But don't stop there Brother......
  10. eddieE

eddieE New Member

oh no....I am adding a few new toys to my arsenal..the 22 is for the lady of the house. I have a kimber 45 target II, a few long guns, and I will be ordering a Rock River LAR-15.

I will get her a 38 once she gets the hand of shooting. Looking at a Remington 870 too for HD.
  11. 1917-1911M

1917-1911M New Member

Ruger makes fine firearms. I have a number of them. However, the SR22 is running second place to the P22 at present. Here is a list of issues that have surfaced.

A number left the factory with a loose barrel. There is a screw that holds the barrel on. It is accessed just in front of the trigger. Make sure it is tight and stays tight or the steel pin that positions the barrel will immediately damage the underside requiring a new barrel

Several barrels have just been no good, bad crowning and no ability to group. Ruger is replacing the barrel.

Some magazines won't lock up or stay locked. Ruger is replacing the locking mechanism.

The polymer take down lever has failed on a number of pistols. Ruger will replace the lever with the exact same one. At present there is not a solution in place. Some owners report their replacement lever was crushed within 100 shots. The lever acts to stop the rearward movement of the slide when firing. Right now some owners are experimenting with a #83 O ring from Lowes plumbing dept which is placed over the existing guide rod and recoil spring where it acts as a buffer until Ruger sorts this out.

Ruger has lengthened the retaining pin inside the magazine floor plate for some reason. Springs jumping the pin and kinking?

Some rear sights have been damaged from trying to adjust them. I think most of these issues were related to bad barrels.

Some pistols are having serious feeding/jamming issues. These need to go back to Ruger.

Ruger will get it sorted out like they did with the LCP but it seems apparent that all firearm manufactures are guilty of rushing new firearms with out thoroughly testing them. M1911
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  12. eddieE

eddieE New Member

This is the first I have heard of the problems with this gun. I have read nothing but good reviews....So, what would you say is a better gun, S&W MP22? At least Ruger is making things right for people. I would hope they figured things out, I'm not sure if these issues are ongoing...I will be purchasing one in the next month or so, I guess I still have some time. I was going to get a MKIII, but when I saw the SR 22, I gravitated toward it.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  13. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I'd love to see a range report on the SR22. My Ruger Mark II is extremely accurate and I would like to see how close this new entry comes to it. I still like the Marks, it's hard to break from what you know is good.
  14. eddieE

eddieE New Member

15. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

Don't have any target pics or hard numbers, but from just plain shooting it's about as accurate as you can be with such a short barrel. This isn't a super-accurate match gun by any means. If you want to shoot what feels/functions like a compact center fire at rim fire price. This is a way to do it without a conversion kit for your center fire.