Ruger SR9c Purchase

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Skonix, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Skonix

Skonix New Member

Thanks to hours of research and gunguy's post about his experience with the SR9c, I took the dive, found a dealer that actually had the SR9c in stock (being the first Ruger strikerfire handgun available in MA, it was difficult to get a hold of one of these) and bought it. I haven't been able to put any rounds through it yet, but here's what she looks like in all black. I took some pics with a credit card to give an idea of the actual size.

If ANY of you steal my Subway rewards card number, I swear to God...

Fresh Outta the case!

IMAG0512.jpg

With the pinky grip on the magazine

IMAG0513.jpg

Without the pinky grip on the magazine

IMAG0514.jpg

Here in Massachusetts it is illegal to carry a handgun with more than 10 rounds, so no 17 round mag for us here, so it came with two 10 round mags.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  2. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Hey Skonix,

You will be happy with the purchase. What shop did you get it from if you don't mind me asking?

I belong to Harvard Sportmans Club and Haverhill Rod and Gun if you ever want to get together to do some shooting.
    The only 17's I got are pre-bans for my glocks but those can come out to play if we are too meet.
  3. 01brian

01brian New Member

Very Nice! mmmm subway :) heh heh....
  4. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Congrats, I think that you are gonna love it.
  5. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Congrats on the SR9C looks good in black, but fair warning once you shoot it , it will be hard to stop :)
  6. yetiman

yetiman New Member

Is that the 6" or the foot long? Love the Ruger! I absoulutely love them....
  7. TCoggins

TCoggins Member

I picked up an SR9c a few weeks ago, all black, like yours. I have to sneak it out of the house, though. If my wife or son see me taking it to the range, they go with me, and I don't get to shoot it.

Tim
  8. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Nice Skonix!
    I've been thinking and pondering about the carry gun I'll be with
    when I get my permit and with your posts and GunGuy's posts and
    his range report, ya'll got me thinking!!!
  9. Skonix

Skonix New Member

Thanks for the great feedback you guys! Even your subway card comments, hah.

@Dirtypacman, I got it at NorthShore Firearms. Four Seasons Firearms seems to be the place most people recommend, but at the time, they had zip. Anyway, the guys at North Shore were extremely pleasant and professional, the only problem is it's about an hour away so I have to call and make sure they have whatever it is I'm looking for. I'd definitely be down for meeting up and doing some shooting sometime!

@gunguy- I have no qualms with this new addiction! haha

@Zane- I'm a kind of a short, small guy, and I will be honest to say that it even though it's compact, it's a little difficult to get it to conceal well. Taller, larger people probably wouldn't have any problems though.
  10. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

This is a great point for consideration. I bought my SR9c to use as a carry piece and the size and weight are perfect for this as well as it being an excellent shooter. My problem is being a short fat guy living in a warm climate. Does anyone have any experience with the Crossbreed IWB holster and specifically with the SR9c?
  11. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Skonix: Northshore Firearms are really good people I have bought 2 or 3 from them. Anytime you want to meet up to shoot I tend to go saturday/sundays mostly but as the weather gets nice weeknights also. I do practice wednesday evenings over at HSC also.

Frogtop: I carry mine in a comp-tac mtac holster, very similar to a Crossbreed which I used for many years with my other ccw. The comptac has a bit nicer leather in my opinion and lets the gun disappear comfortably on me. Highly recommend either for daily carry.
  12. gunguy25

gunguy25 New Member

Being a tall fat guy myself 6,2 it should work out fine :)
  13. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

...gonna have to find one at a shop to have a look and feel.

I'm 6'1" and around 215lbs.. Any thoughts about the a Crossbreed
    back, conceled?
  14. Old Guy

Old Guy Member

Nice looking pistol. Too bad the 10 lb. trigger law will ruin the shooting characteristics of the gun. But you are probably used to that by now. I have shot at the S&W shooting range in Springfield a couple of times and the trigger pulls suck! I wondered what was wrong with a 1911 until I learned about the 10 lb. trigger.
  15. Skonix

Skonix New Member

@Dirtypacman- Let's schedule to go sometime soon, weather looks like it's gonna be warmer from here on out. Are Wednesday evenings the only time you head to HSC? Haverill is a bit far but for a day of shooting I could definitely make the drive. I'm not currently a member of any clubs at the moment, I should probably get on that.

@Frogtop- What have you found to be the best or easiest part of the body to conceal at, from one short guy to another, hah. I was going to get the LC9 because it was smaller and easier to conceal, but it just didn't fit as beautifully in my hand as the SR9c did.

@Old Guy- MA has pretty oppressive gun laws, a lot of manufacturers' firearms aren't even available to us because there are so many requirements and grey areas.
  16. Frogtop

Frogtop New Member

Skonix, I went with the compact because of the slightly smaller size and it easier to conceal. I carry in a OWB holster on the hip and this is where the problem begins. In winter it's ok due to having a jacket but summer is a different issue. I'm an older guy that still has issues with an untucked shirt.
  17. JKP

JKP New Member

I don't know what the 10 lb trigger law is. Mine doesn't feel like that much pull, but I don't have a trigger pull scale. I do know I shoot it better than my 4" 4006 or my 5" Colt series 80 MK IV. The grip fits my son's hand better that large double stacks. Love this gun
  18. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Unless you have an external safety here in MA a 10 lb pull is mandatory. I think they may even require a loaded chamber indicator for new guns being sold. Anyhow the Ruger has the safety features so the trigger pull from the factory is a cool 5-6 pounds or so.

@Skonix

I shot at HSC on Wednesday nights for USPSA practice 5-7pm. I go there Mon/Tues sometimes and weekends also a bunch.

I live only 5-10 minutes from the Haverhill club so I can meet there after work or weekends also.

Send me a private message and we can work out some details to meet up.
  19. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

I love my 9c, have a Crossbreed and a Mitch Rosen OWNBfrom the Rugerstoreonline, I can conceal very easily with either. I can actually shoot the smaller barreled 9c better than my 4"-barrel Smith&Wesson. Hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
  20. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

My son has this gun. I shoot it all the time. To bad on that 10 round clip issue your state has. I like the feel much better with the 17 round clip. I get better groups with the extra length of the 17.