Ruger Standard Pistol (not mk2)

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by mauserman454, Jan 14, 2005.

1. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Hi Guys, I have a question... I purchased a used Ruger .22lr semi auto pistol, kind looks like a Luger. It's in nice shape,a nd I got it from the shop for $89, the shop owner said the fellow that brought it in said the pistol belonged to his father, who was going into the old folks home...

Anyway, it is a Ruger standard model, not a Mk1 or a Mk2, What are the differences between the different models? Is there something unsafe about my pistol that they need to redesign the pistols to the Mk1 and Mk2 configurations?

Also, all the accessories I see available for these pistols state they are for Mk1 or Mk2.... So would a Mk 1 or 2 magazine fit my standard model? How about grips?

Thanks!
    MM454
  2. richbug

richbug New Member

you need magazines for a MKI. They are 9 shot rather than the 10's that the MKII uses. If I recall there are 3 different grip frames which require 3 different grips. You stole that gun for $89. Most standards will hang with the high dollar target pistols, something that cannot be said about the MKII's. I see them actively selling for $150 and up.
  3. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Give me the ser# (xx for last 2 digits is ok) and I'll nail it down.
    Yea you stole it or the guy in the gun shop was fool :D :D

The 3 grips configurations are:
    1949-1970 (Standard)
    A-100
    Mark II.

Difference being Location of the grip screws and frame screw holes.
    The MKI have the mag button opposite side of the MK II but the can be switched so a MKI will work in a MKII
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  4. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

No problem with safety on any of the Ruger .22 auto pistols. You're probably thinking of the earlier and later model Single-Six revolvers. On the early ones, if you had the hammer down on a round, a blow to the hammer could cause it to fire. The later ones had a transfer bar that prevented that. You could (and still can) send the earlier Single-Sixes back to Ruger for a free retrofit modification.

And....I agree, you got a heckuva deal.
  5. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

Thanks Guys, The serial # is 11-82xxx I looked on Rugers website and found that it was made in 1974, 4 years before I was made :)

Anyway, the grip frame is marked A-100 under the grip, and I tried a Ruger MK2 magazine in it, and it fits and functions perfectly... However, my Magazine will not fit into the shop owners Mk2, So I bought the Mk2 magazine...

I'm very happy with this pistol!

MM454
  6. wipsnide3

wipsnide3 New Member

I have a 1978 Standard & have recently been getting some FTE, & or FTF issues. Using CCI mini mag ammo, with some new MK1 9 rnd mags. Not convinced of the mag quality & consistency. Wondering if anyone has some quick fix tips, or where to get factory mags, before I go gunsmith hunting & have the bolt & ejector looked at. Most issues are with a live round caught sideways in the mechanism. Love the pistol, been great for a long time, miss the old reliability... Thanks
  7. stev32k

stev32k Well-Known Member

The first pistol I ever bought was a Ruger standard .22 in 1962. No telling how many tens of thousands of rounds have been though the gun. Had to have the firing pin and ejector replaced about 20 years ago and it still shoots as good as it did in 1962. If you want to double your money sell the gun to me.
  8. A square 10

A square 10 New Member

i see this is an old thread with recent posts , just goes to show that these old workhorses span the ages , it caught my eye because i just picked up a standard myself [paid more tho] and its keeping company with my mk2

i have been told the standard was a fixed sight version while the mk1 had adjustable target sights ,
    mine is a 6 7/8" tapered bbl version blued , as is my mk2 , if i hapen upon a mk3 i think ill buy it to complete the set ,

ive kinda been drawn to this type of pistol over the years

[​IMG]