Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by kgnovum, Nov 27, 2005.

1. kgnovum

kgnovum New Member

Anyone shot one of these things yet? They are fairly new and hard to get I am told. They come in .454 Casull or .480 Ruger in a six shot revolver, 2" barrel. That must pack a wallop! I'm pretty big and have big hands but I bet I'd know I shot it! I have a chance to get one for a special price and I'm thinking about it. Not sure what I'd use it for but the .454 also shoots 45 Long Colt so I could plink with it I guess. A guy in the gun store calls it a "suicide gun - if you think you're going to stop a grizzly with it." Any opinions?
  2. offeror

offeror New Member

I've read a number of the early reviews and they are all pretty good on this gun. The gun's recoil is not as punishing as one might think, according to test shooters, but it does pay to wear a padded glove for practice, and don't count on shooting a lot of rounds at one time. The ballistics are as impressive as you might expect.

I don't know if I'd pay a lot of attention to the gun store guy on this one since his comment seems to be off the top of his head rather than well researched. I don't know if it will stop a grizzly or not (I suspect it will given decent aim), but there are other bears and large beasts out there, and guns in this category leave the .44 magnum on the bottom rung of the ladder. The question is whether one can lift and aim an Alaskan quickly and reliably under pressure. That's one big frame and a lot of inertia in the holster. As I recall the gun weighs around 50 oz.

The .45 Colt option does make the gun more useful in a pinch, but I'd prefer to carry a smaller framed gun for rounds in that range. On my own want list is a Lew Horton S&W .44 magnum snubbie. That's as big a snubbie as I have any imaginable use for unless I move to Alaska or Africa.
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

As for being able to kill a bear with this gun try this report from the NSSF "Bullet Points":

"BEAR MAULS HUNTER . . . A Pennsylvania bear hunter bagged a 320-pound bruin on Nov. 21, opening day of his state’s season, but his prize didn’t come easily. Samuel H. Beauchamp, 47, of Newville shot the bear three times with a .444 Marlin during a drive. Approaching to within 15 feet of the downed black bear, the hunter fired a fourth shot, to the chest. “The bear came alive,” Beauchamp said. “When he came to his feet, I turned to back off, but he covered the distance between us and wrapped his paw around my hip and clawed me.” The bear inflicted bites to the hunter’s thighs, while Beauchamp fought to shake it off. After the second bite, the bear died."

Will this pistol really "protect you" from a bear? Maybe not.

LDBennett
  4. jeep45238

jeep45238 New Member

I doubt many, if any, handguns will protect you from a bear. That new S&W 500 may have a chance, but I wouldn't trust any handgun for protection from a bear.
  5. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Ken hold a 105 in your hand now pull the cord get up of the ground and ask why did I do that?
    now hold the pistol pull the trigger go find the rest of your hand ( it will be about 20 feet behind you) and ask why did I do that.
    just my 2 cents worth
    I pulled the trigger on four inch in 455 heavy load ( smart A$$ reloader) never again hand hurt for three days.
    some things just don't make sense to me this is one of them.
    Ron
  6. No thanks! A .454 Casul in a large frame with an 8" barrel was quite enough for me! Next thing you know, Ruger or Smith will come out with a revolver chambered for the .50 BMG in a Ti frame, or some such nonsense. Sheesh, there has to be a limit somewhere.
  7. Tom

Tom Member

One problem I see is that the performance of things like the .454 is significantly reduced by the short barrel. According to the numbers I have seen, the performance is reduced to that of my 5 1/2" Redhawk with +P .45 Colt loads. I will stick with my Redhawks.
  8. dviant

dviant New Member

howdy i have had my alaskan for about 3 months i love it they put houge grips on it the grips are oversized i love to shoot it ... i have shot around 10 boxes through it i can hit a 16 inch iron pan at 35 yards i really love this gun besides that most people get all freaked out when you pull it from yuor range bag well thats that
  9. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

I think it would be quite a whallop. I have a SRH .454 and often practice with it using .45's and it's great. I usually "touch off" a couple .454 rounds while at the range, and it WILL get the attention of everyone down the line. I don't think I've ever fired more than 3 rounds of the .454 at one outing. The ballistics are impressive. As much muzzle energy as a 30-30 (underpowered for Alaskan bears), and twice the energy of most .44 mag loads. It's not near the size of the S&W .500 thank goodness.

Peanut Man
  10. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

A local gunstore here in Victoria, Tx has one for the sum of $700.00+. Good looking and handling gun but I have yet to shoot one.
  11. Roughrdr

Roughrdr New Member

I had the chance to shoot one a couple weeks back. I have strongs hands, but it still seemed a little "wild", like shooting a short barrel shotgun, more kick.

I shoot a full size 454 SRH and can put a box or two of shells thru it before my wrists say "enough", but not even a box with the Alaskan.

Not sure If I find it very practical or not, haven't made my mind up yet on it.