1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Ruger Vaquero

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Terry G, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Terry G

Terry G Member

I recived a New Model Vaquero from my Wife as a Christmas present. 7 1/2 ".45 Colt. I would appreciate comments or input on this revolver. I did some research, of course, but this Forum has never steered me wrong. The grips feel a bit thin to me, and a couple people claim the frame is not as strong as the old vaquero. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

Ruger wanted the new vaquero model to have the same profile/size as the peacemaker, so to do that they put the vaquero on a diet...made it much slimmer. It's certain to say that some powerful .45 hunting loads would be a bad idea in the new vaquero.

Keep in mind the new vaquero was made for cowboy action shooters, who typically fire standard pressure ammo...and many fire very watered down handloads during competition, so it was never designed to be as sturdy as some of the other heavyduty Ruger SA revolvers.
  3. AL MOUNT

AL MOUNT Active Member

Cleaning my Thompson in The Foothills of the Ozark
    I joined SASS in 96 and got my Ruger Vaquero in 97.

Fine gun, I've shot hundreds of rounds thru it without a problem.

Sgt. Mount
    SASS # 10454

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Little Rooster

Little Rooster New Member

Got a pair of the New Vaquero's last year for my wife who shoots SASS along with myself. .45 colt, 4 3/4 barrels stainless They are smoother and with a slimmer grips...She's hasn't had any problems with 'em (that weren't on her part) She has said the grips fit better than her old pair. I have a mix match pair of 3 5/8 inch .45's I shoot Black powder from, shot several thousand rounds from 'em still plenty of life left in them. Roooger makes a fine gun for the sport

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. dusty9

dusty9 Member

The New Model Vaquero's are made to be more near the Colt Peacemaker in size and weight, including the grip. The older Vaquero's are much larger and heavier than the Colt and have a different grip. Use only standard factory velocity .45 Long Colt ammo in your New Model Vaquero and it will last a lifetime or longer. If you are a reloader, do not use the reloading data designated "For Ruger or Thompson-Center only". It is much higher pressure than the standard loadings and the manuals all state that it is not to be used in the original Colt Peacemaker and this would probably apply to the many clones of the Colt now on the market, even a Ruger.

By the way, you have a very fine wife and need to be very good to her. Any wife who buys her husband a fine firearm like this is definitely a keeper. I know this because I have had one just like her for 47 years.
  6. BlkHawk73

BlkHawk73 New Member

ALL Vaqueros are in fact New Models since all Ruger Single actions made after 1973 are New Models. There's the Vaquero which was made on the large frame and the New Vaquero which is made on the medium frame. The later is not likely to withstand a diet of any loads over SAAMI specs.
  7. DCOhio

DCOhio New Member

It seems a lot of the cowboy shooters are using the shorter 41/2-51/2" barrels. Are these as competitive as the longer barrels.
    Also, with Rugers are the Birdshead or Bisley Vaqueros often seen/used.
    I'm just getting interested in these. Owner of several Colt SAA but looking at Vaqueros as for shooting and not just 'boxing'. I love the feel of the Birdhead and Bisley MUCH more than the usual style/size. Whats the scoop on this. Looks like fun!
    Dale
  8. phx gun owner

phx gun owner New Member

9. Rick O'Shay

Rick O'Shay New Member

The New Vaquero has been sized down closer to the size of the Colt SAA. It is as strong or stronger than the Colt. It will not handle the 45+P loads the the original Vaquero could but it will handle careful handloads pushing a 255 gr. lead bullet at 1000 fps. in a 7 1/2" barrel.I would check the cylinder throats for being undersize and correct them if they need tended to. I like .4525" diameter myself. Ruger makes a fuller smooth replacement grip in rosewood for the new frame size.
  10. scudrunner

scudrunner New Member

I have a pair of them in 44-40 WCF they really nice shooters, I use mine for CAS. They are what they are and they are not MAGNUM handguns! They will hold up with heavy loads but they are not made to be a +P handgun.

You will like they way it shoots and handles I'm sure! It should give you years of good use and its something you could pass down to your kids.

VERY SWEET!
  11. fleetwood1976

fleetwood1976 Active Member

Terry, I don't know if you are willing to get new grips or not. Stags took care of the thin feeling originals. They were like $150 though.
  12. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

Why do folks who buy .45 Colt revolvers seem to want to turn them into .454 Casulls, anyhow?

If you want a .454....
  13. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I've wondered that, for years.
  14. Terry G

Terry G Member

I'm buying Cowboy Loads and over the counter Remingtons to shoot in it. No plus P+ or handloads. I also never understood trying to turn a handgun into something it's not. A co-worker once was showing off his S&W 8 3/8" .44 Magnum. He had it decked out with custom grips, Red Dot 'Scope and some super hot loads. It was going to be his Deer gun. He said it set him back $800.00. I asked him why he didn't just go to Wal-Mart and buy a .30-30 Marlin with a 'scope and he have more power and range for half the money. He had no response.
  15. drsrjoe

drsrjoe New Member

DC Ohio, A lot of CAS use 7 1/2 inch barrels - like me, they don't have much of a chance for winning the clock competition; however, that really does not take all the fun out. Many of us simply try to hit all the targets and enjoy being old lads, dressing up like cowboys and shooting. You will also see many folks using the Bisley grips as they are great for those with smaller hands. Go to an event, it's a lot of fun!!