The Firearms Forum banner

Ruger vs Keltec

Tags
ruger
3K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  north tex 
#1 ·
What are your thoughts on the Ruger LCP compared to the Keltec PF9?

#2 ·
The PF9 is known for being a heavy recoil gun. its about the number one complaint about that model.
Good reliable, but not a fun gun to take out and shoot for plinking. I have been experience with both. The Ruger seems to me to be a better quality gun and easier to shoot

#3 ·
The Ruger is going to be a better built gun. Like dbcooper said, the PF9 is going to be a little bit snappier on recoil since you are looking at a 9mm there instead of the 380 Auto of the LCP. If you prefer the 9mm cartridge, have you looked at the Ruger LC9? You still get the better build quality of the Ruger and better performance of the 9mm.

#4 ·
Apples, and oranges. The LCP is a .380, and the PF9 is a 9mm. There is only 3, or 4, ounces difference in weight, the 9 being heavier. If I were buying one for myself it would be the 9, having more power. If I were buying one for the wife, it would be LCP, less recoil.

#5 ·
F.I.L has the PF9 and I have the LC 9. Both have terrible triggers. FIL can hardly hiy the side of a barn because of that mile-long trigger. I use the LC9 for my carry gun while in my company work truck.\
If I had to pick one over the other, it would be the Lc9 because of it's reliability, but I think the trigger was a little crisper on the PF9.
But like I said, there both terrible triggers IMHO

#6 ·
Have you considered the KelTec P11? Its the double stack version of the PF9, comes with 10 round mags but KelTec makes 12 round factory mags for it. I also suggest adding a pinky extension floor plate. In the end the extra weight coupled with the grip extension it becomes a damn good shooter and great for carry.

Reactions: Big Shrek
#7 ·
As has already been stated, the LCR is a .380 & the PF9 is a .9 mm. They are only comparable in that they are both intended for deep concealment & very short distance shooting. Ruger makes fine quality guns, but so does Kel-Tec. It's been rumored that the LCR is an almost exact copy of the Kel-Tec P3AT. Like most sub-compact pistols, both are prone to problems due to limp wristing & both may be picky about what they like to eat. Neither one is intended to be a range gun and as a result are not fun to shoot. They are small and light in weight and have snappy recoils that contribute to limp-wristing. I have both Kel-Tec's, the P3AT & the PF9 & both have been flawless.

As far as .380 vs .9mm, I wouldn't like to get shot with either. The size & weight differences are minimal. Both make good EDC's & great BUG's.

#9 ·
Even though the LCP is a mouse gun, That doesn't make it a women's gun. The LCP will jump out of your hand if you don't have a good grip on it. My wife started wearing gloves when practicing with her LCP because the grip was roughing up her hand.

#10 ·
Both need a Fluff & Buff once out of the box, and a good trigger job...
Given my multiple headaches over the years with Ruger,
and lack of headaches with my Grendels (Father of Keltec),
I'd be picking up some Keltecs :)

#11 ·
Both of them are good weapons. Why not have one of each. If it goes bang when you pull the trigger it is a tool that is doing it's job.

#15 ·
I have had a PF-9 for more than 3 years and it has been a good carry gun. I made a very minor mod to the curvature of the trigger, made an over-travel stop and put on Tractiongrips. It made a huge difference in shooting comfort. Is it the best hand gun made...No, but it's very good for the price and it's very comfortable to carry. After the initial break-in it has been very reliable. If I was doing it now I would opt for the chrome plated slide. The blued one rusts too easily
I shot a cousin's LC380 and did not like it. The trigger was awful. He shot my PF-9 and liked it better than the LC. He then gave his LC380 to his grand-daughter then went out and bought a Walter PKS!!!!! I don't like his PKS either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.