Ruger vs. Smith & Wesson

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by starman, Oct 11, 2009.

1. starman

starman New Member

Looking at both the Smith Stainless model 629 44mag 6" & 6 1/2" barrel and the Ruger Super Red Hawk. Any opinions and or suggestions on which is preferred. I have Smith 686 stainless 357mag and it shoots very accurate and hasn't given me any problems. Just thought I would throw this out there and see what you guy's think.

Thanks
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

I think they're both great choices; my personal choice would be the Ruger, just due to the fact that I like the styling and feel of the Rugers over a SW.
  3. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I have a 4" Redhawk in 44 Mag and it is a fine revolver. Out of the box trigger is excellent and it gives good accuracy.

This is my post # 1,000. Guess I have way too much time on my hands.
  4. starman

starman New Member

Thanks guy's
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Ruger is stronger, but I think Smiths, as a rule, have better triggers. It depends on what you plan to do with it.

If you're gonna shoot top-powered magnum loads, and shoot a bunch of 'em, I'd say go with the Ruger. It'll last longer. If you're gonna shoot magnums occasionally, but mostly midrange or specials, I'd get the Smith.
  6. pawn

pawn Active Member

IMHO the S&W trigger is better, however, the Ruger is built like a tank. What do you value more? In my case I traded a Ruger SP101 in for a S&W 638 Airweight.... very pleased with the Airweight :D
  7. starman

starman New Member

Just went and compared them, have to agree the Ruger has more meat to it and a larger handle. The Smith is sleeker in design and more eye catching to me personally, but requires removing the rear iron site to install a scope. Not sure if I would use a scope or not but it would be quicker changing between the two if needed. The Smith seemed a little more refined and smother or its action and cylinder. Unless there some big differences in the metal strength the Ruger looked stronger but if Smith is using a better stronger material it wouldn't need the extra thickness of metal in critical area's. Anyway I'm somewhat undecided for the moment so I'll ponder on it for a while.

Thanks for the input
  8. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Both platforms are good performers. I would go someplace where you can handle them side by side and see which one is more comfortable in the mits.
  9. bestseller92

bestseller92 New Member

The new Ruger DA triggers are superb.

I think the Ruger Redhawk is more comparable to the 629 than is the much larger Super Redhawk.

Of the two, I'd go with the Redhawk. It's a much stronger revolver than the Smith, which helps if you want to use heavy handloads or heavy factory loads like the 300+ grain Buffalo Bores.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have owned a ruger blackhawk .41 mag single action since the mid 80s. Best revolver I have ever owned. It used to be what I hog hunted with. I would go with the ruger.
  11. old semperfi

old semperfi Active Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    i currently own a s&w model 629 classic hunter.it has a six inch barrell and is unfluted i have owned this pistol for about,i dont know thirty years?i am capable of retuning and adjusting trigger pulls on almost any gun,however i have never had to touch this one.i would guess i have fired about 8-10,000 rounds thru it without a hitch.having said that i will give you my two cents worth.i am an avid center fire and rim fire shooter,throw in black powder in there also.i shoot at least a thousand rounds a month and have been doing so since i got back from across the creek 1972.if a gun,it does not matter if its a rifle or pistol feels good and comfortable in your hands then you will probably shoot it well if it dosnt then do not buy. one mans opinion old semperfi
  12. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Ditto.

Ruger triggers need a little work but they are alot cheaper out of the box than a smith...soo...i think both are worth what you pay for them.

mike
    gn
  13. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

The ergonomics of the Super Redhawk and GP100 are perfect for a revolver. They are also identical. So you can have a 44 or 454 magnum and a 357 with the same feel.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

As to strength of the frames of the Ruger's vs. the S&W's REVOLVERS:

Most all Ruger are investment CAST. That is, molten metal is pored into a ceramic mold. When cool the ceramic mold is broken off and minimal machining is required to finish the gun.

Most S&W's are FORGED. A lump of metal is progressively beat by huge presses into the general shape of the frame. The forging, hot out of the forge, only resembles the finished frame and NEEDS to be machined to size. The frame is then machined to size.

Cast process can lead to internal voids but Ruger was a leader in investment casting and has a manufacturing facility that does not only their own stuff but stuff for other industries. I would expect their investment casting to be some of the best in the world.

Forging lines up the grain of the metal to strengthen it beyond a mere casting of exactly the same shape. It allows metal section to be thinner to gain the same strength as a cast part.

S&W's are about finesse and Ruger's are about rugged. Mistreat both guns and the Ruger will survive better. Treat both guns normally and there is little difference except for the lack of bulk in the S&W. S&W triggers are precision right out of the box. Their only problem is the lawyer dictated spring in the rebound slide. Replace that and you get a S&W trigger to match those from the 1950's. Ruger's in general take a real trigger job as Ruger was pursued endlessly by the lawyers trying to get money out of them in lawsuits. Ruger made sure their guns were safe if nothing else, at the expense of triggers. Ruger trigger designs are driven more by lawyers than any other manufacturer out there.

In short the Ruger's are about rugged utility and the S&W's are about finesse. Take your choice.

LDBennett
  15. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

I tried to keep the BBL Length close to compare weights but pulled these from Mfg web sites.

Model 29
    Retail: $1,240
    SKU: 150145
    Model: 29
    Caliber: .44MAG/.44SP
    Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Barrel Length: 6 1/2"
    Front Sight: Red Ramp
    Rear Sight: Adjustable
    Grip: Altamont® Service Walnut
    Frame: Large
    Finish: Blue