Rugers new 357 Bolt action Carbine

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by savage170, Jun 22, 2011.

1. savage170

savage170 Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I agree. As would the gunsite scout rifle.. Excellent brush guns..
  3. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Just saw it today. Looks like a really nice addition! (Bigtime 357 fan, however they come).

Wonder what the velocity and energy increase would be in that 18.5" barrel over, say, a 6-8" barrel revolver?
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  4. savage170

savage170 Member

Hornady say's they're leverevolution ones go up to 1850 from 18" barrell
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. A 158 gr XTP runs about 1400 from a 6 inch barrel. the same load should be good for about 1750 from an 18 inch barrel..
  6. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Don't really see a reason for it, myself. 357 is great in a rifle-length barrel, but anything you can do in a five-round bolt gun, you can do twice as good in a 10-round lever gun.

Now, that same rifle, in 7.62 x 39 would probably be pretty neat.

Did you notice the auction, at the bottom of the page. Gonna auction off some "rare items". That means they found some stuff in the back room, and decided to make some money off it.

Brand New Speed Six. Well, that'd be kinda cool to have. Rather have a stainless one than a blue one, but it would be cool. "No Reserve". Starting price of 300 sounds like it has a reserve of 300. Then the neat little comment, at the end. "Buyer is responsible for excise tax". So if you get it for 350 bucks, it's actually $388.50.

Oh well. Woulda been cool.
  7. Artemus

Artemus New Member

I totally agree with Alpo.If Ruger made it in a lever action or a pump I would def. want one.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

IMI already made it in a pump.
    IMG_2723.jpg

IMG_2724.jpg

IMG_2725.jpg
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That reciever is very Remingtonish..
  10. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Well, yeah they did. But, #1, I've heard they are not that reliable - they can be kinda finicky. And, #2, they don't make 'em anymore.
  11. flintlock

flintlock Well-Known Member

I'd like one in .41 magnum, but I guess they won't make just one!
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Alpo,
    Haven't shot mine all that much - maybe around 500 rounds of .38Spl and .357mag - never had a problem and the accuracy at 50 yards with the heavy .38s is excellent. No, they don't make them anymore - must have been a low sales thing. However, the .357mag and the .44 mag versions are now selling for big bucks on the used market.
    Yep, the receiver is very Remingtonish - right down to the action release lever and cross bolt safety.
    A nice feature (?) if you want to haul it around in a bag - it takes down like a Winchester Model 62.
  13. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

A bolt? ehh... I'd prefer an old lever action in .38spl/.357mag
  14. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Just relating rumors I've heard. Be a shame, if it's true. I'd like to have one. I'm a pump-gun fan, and medium-powered centerfire pump, that actually worked every time, would be just so neat to have.
  15. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Rumors are rumors, facts are facts.
    My original point, which I didn't make very well - the pump .357 Mag has been tried, at least once with the Action Arms/IMI Timberwolf - didn't seem to catch on very well. If I'm not mistaken there are a couple recent iterations of the Colt "LIGHTNING" pump rifle out there in that chambering also - those being very expensive - don't seem to be hot sellers. There's a ton of different lever actions in .357 Mag.
    Bolt action is a NEW idea - kind of like the Spanish Destroyer concept. I, personally (but then what the hell do I know?), can't see a real purpose for it - other than for fairly close small game or small deer hunting.
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011