Rugers

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by paperboy, Sep 7, 2008.

1. paperboy

paperboy Member

How does one tell the model of a Ruger. I own a 44 Mag. Ruger Super Blackhawk. The barrel measures 9 3/4 long. I've had it about 6 years now. Bought it at a pawn shop. My new 357 has the model type right on the side of the barrel. The 44 doesn't say anything about a model.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Rugers, until they started making centerfire automatic pistols, had names, not numbers. Your Super Blackhawk is just that - a Super Blackhawk. Your 357 is a double action, and is either a GP100 or an SP101. If you had bought a single action, it would either be a Blackhawk or a Vaquero. Aside from those two double action revolvers, the only pistols they make with model numbers are the aforementioned centerfire automatics.

And your gun has a 10 1/2 inch barrel. People that don't know better normally measure to the front of the frame (spot A), but revolver barrels are screwed into the frame, and are actually measured to just in front of the cylinder (spot B )

[​IMG]

If you absolutely must know the model number of your gun, go here http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FASubType?type=Revolver&subtype=Single Action and click on Super Blackhawk. It will give you the number that nobody uses, except Ruger, in house.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  3. paperboy

paperboy Member

Thank you for the info. I guess I was one of those that didn't know any better. Thanks for explaining this to me. That site was helpful in figuring out the year. Once again ,thank you.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. sigarmsbob

sigarmsbob New Member

Hi,Ruger single actions have the model stamped on the frame(left side) above the trigger guard.I own a Super Blackhawk in .44 Mag. with a 4-5/8 inch barrel. Hope this helps.
  5. OldPilgrim

OldPilgrim New Member