Russian M44

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 4, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

gamehunter3
    (1/20/02 7:20:12 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Russian M44
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I saw an add for AIM surplus. It said they have M44's wrapped in the original arsenal paper. Are these rifles as nice as they say? do the numbers match? what is the real condition of these rifles? At $69.95 I am thinking of buying a couple.

THANKS, JERRY IN FLORIDA

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (1/20/02 9:25:13 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Russian M44
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From what I have heard, it is sort of a gamble. Most of them are in excellent condition, abut about one in five may only rate very good. Also have heard they are kind of hit and miss on the matching numbers. If you order some, let us know what you get!
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (1/21/02 3:19:04 pm)
    I read on another forum where a guy bought one in the wrap from a dealer at a gun show and the barrel turned out to be a sewer pipe inside. The guy then wanted a refund on the rifle.

ibtrukn
    V.I.P. Member
    (1/21/02 5:08:02 pm)
    Yo GH 3: sold mine for $75.00 it was clean in an out good bore an vg-ex mech. dude told me a week later it was a good shooter. Myself, never a pig in a poke ya no?

gamehunter3
    (1/21/02 6:44:01 pm)
    Well I talked to Eric today at AIM surplus. He said the guns are in like new condition, he wasn't sure on the numbers. I only ordered one and I told him if it was nice I would order more. he also told me they would ship it tomorrow, so I will have it by the weekend. I will let you all know what condition it is in.

JERRY IN FLORIDA

polishshooter
    (1/21/02 7:16:24 pm)
    Jerry, I met a guy this weekend at the show that told me that he just got one of the AIM "in-the- wraps," and where the string was wrapped around the paper fopr all those years, it discolored the blonde wood...but it actually looked kinda neat, like an orangish wierd tiger stripe. Other than that he said it was like new...

I thought about going to AIM and looking at one first before I bought one, but then I thought they probably wouldn't let me unwrap it!

SOooo...would be no advantage...I still think I'm saving up for one of the new rearsenaled 38s or 91/30s....

We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

gamehunter3
    (1/31/02 10:20:14 pm)
    WELL, IT CAME IN TODAY. I WENT AND PICKED IT UP. WHEN I GOT HOME I CAREFULLY UNWRAPED IT. ITS PRETTY STICKY WITH THE GREASE ON IT, BUT ALL THE NUMBERS DO MATCH,BOLT,BOTTOM PLATE, AND TWICE ON THE BARREL. ITS DATED 1946 WITH THE HAMMER AND SYCLE INSIDE THE WREATH. EXCEPT WHERE THE CORD WAS WRAPED AROUND THE PAPER AND LEFT SOME VERY LIGHT MARKS ON THE WOOD, EVERY THING ELSE LOOKS BRAND NEW. THE BORE SHINES NICELY WITHOUT BEING SWABBED OUT. I WILL BE BUYING MORE.

JERRY IN FLORIDA TEMP 86

polishshooter
    (1/31/02 11:21:44 pm)
    Good job reporting, Jerry, I may have to get one...

You know, I have bought about 25 or 30 various MNs, ranging from beat up "parts guns," to Fine/Ex., and have NEVER seen a "barrel like a sewer pipe..." In fact, RARELY do I ever find one that's even "dark, but with sharp rifling."

Most clean up to be excellent, even the beat up 91/30s...

Now I HAVE looked down many a bore initially, even when the OUTSIDE of the rifle is clean, and said "Oh-Oh, I got a bad one..." That happens alot on the VG 91/30s from Aim...some of them have so much dried up cosmoline in it you can't see ANY light from the bore light...and come out like ugly Russian turds when you pound a rod and patch down it...

BUT, the tornado brush and a bunch of Hoppes, and a little elbow grease, and they usually come out fine.

Once, a "dark bore" shot well, and when I cleaned it, voila! It was like new...the heat from the firing as well as the FMJs scouring the barrel loosened up the petrified gunk and the patches then got it all...

While they say "bore disregarded for collectors purposes," I think that's BS, I want shooters...

BUT, I have yet to get one that was even questionable, AFTER cleaning it up...

I guess that many MNs you find at shows MAY have been cleaned up well for appearances sake on the outside, but may not even had a patch run through it...so don't give up on one even if the barrel looks bad, IMHO...heck, it may just allow you to talk the price down, if the guy DOES think his barrel is bad...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/02 1:42:47 am)
    polishshooter, we're gona have to write a technical manual on all these Polish / Ruskie head spacing, bore refurbishing, methods etc, that me and you use, without this valuable info in hand, a lot of folks are taking the long trail to the chithouse! How bout the old clean the bore with the battery charger trick, ever used that one?

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (2/1/02 2:02:53 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Russian M44
    I've seen them advertised Mosk, are they any good? Do they really work?

The Curio and Relic Firearms Forum

polishshooter
    (2/1/02 4:18:48 pm)
    No I haven't Mosko, but I'm intrigued...

...and I have one of those 10/40/200 amp wheeled chargers in the garage from my racing days, where do I hook it up to zap it?

I'm thinking, plug the bore, with a coat hanger stuck in there, clip the negative alligator to it, stick the cleaning rod down the bore, clip the positive clip to it, fill it up with electrolyte, and zap it with 200 amps on "start," right?

Moskovskyya
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/1/02 5:39:50 pm)
    close polish, but were not making a heater, that's a different trick!

I acquied a Swiss Vetterli that was a smooth bore, "real" cheap with a very good + exterior. My bud dumped it cause it was a sewer pipe. He had soaked, brushed, and swabed until he was sure it was worthless. I on the other hand being the cheapo that I am found my magic bore cleaning rod, (an 8th" X 48" steel hobby rod from the hdwe section @ home depot)! I cut some 1/8th" rings from a piece of plactic tubing and slid over the rod at about 4" intervals to insulate it from contact with the barrel. I plugged the muzzle with a rubber plug and inserted the rod, with the end protuding through the reciever and stood on a wood block next to my bench. (this is the hi tech part here) I checked with my ohm meter to be sure I didn't have a short). I mixed a couple of table spoons of baking soda in a quart of distilled water and poured some into the bore. I connected a 1 amp trickle (not Dick) battery charger, with anode (thats red or + to you non rocket scientiests) to the rod, and cathode -black to the barrel. I have seen / heard instructions to connect opposite of what I have written here, but it just aint so! We all know that electricity is a flow of electrons, and they're negative, a negatively charged particle can only be attaracted to a positive, (remember the magnet) What happened to the vetterli in a couple of hours? The electrons flowing from the barrel took 100+ years of rust, and powder fouling that was causing the smooth bore and plated them to the rod. A bore brush clean up with some Ed's red followed by Hoppes #9, and I have a lovely rifled, and accurate shooting barrel. It was dark of course, but one can use some clover 1000g valve laping paste from the NAPA auto parts and a drill motor, (still another hi tech trick) to polish, or Polish it back to a new shine.

Technical note: don't use ridiculum, or unobtanium alloy rods, just plain, black, cheap, cold roll works best.

Signed
    Mosco... PISS, (Professor of Intresting Stuff, Sometimes)

Bob In St Louis
    (2/1/02 8:55:33 pm)
    Wow - knowing my luck, I would probably shock myself senseless and wake up with a metal rod protruding from my anal orifice.

Can I crate up about 40 rifles and send them to you for your magic cleaning? Do you cut the heads off white chickens and do a voodoo hex over them when you are done so they stay rust free?

Dang electric stuff - I stay away from it ever since I nearly electrocuted my self when I was a kid ----

Tip of the day - never change a light bulb in a socket when you are standing barefoot on a wet concrete floor.
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    (2/5/02 11:14:14 am)
    I dunno, last time I played with a solution involving old guns was when I tried the "hydrodecapping" method for berdan cases...all I got was wet...

If I added electricity I'd be DANGEROUS.

And I only have so many fingers and thumbs left...