Russian M44s - Going, going --- ?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by cointoss2, Mar 3, 2003.

1. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Bob In St Louis
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/26/01 9:22:59 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Russian M44s - Going, going --- ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Russian M44s are drying up on the market. SOG is currently out, and the few distributors with them remaining only have small stocks of the "in the wrapper" ones at higher prices. AIM still does not have the M44 war dated laminated rifles - last week they told me to call today; today they said call at the end of the week.

On another note: The guy at the tables next to me at the gunshow is a professional gun show geek selling high dollar AKs, CETMEs, FN-FALs, etc. - he deals over a quarter million $$$ per year in rifles. He said there is not an AK varient to be had right now from any distributor - they have all dried up, and customs have stalled all shipments at the ports. Importers have their cash tied up in crates sitting in the custom warehouses, distributors are besieged with orders, and nobody is getting nada. Sounds like the powers that be have used 9-11-01 as a cover to enact a new unannounced import ban ----
    Crusty Cruffler of Fine Spanish Pistols - Eibar Rules!

polishshooter
    (11/26/01 10:11:34 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Russian M44s - Going, going --- ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for the heads up...I'm thinking of ordering a couple of the Polish before the end of the week...

And you know, the more I think about it, $70 for an in-the-wrap isn't that bad...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

the real fredneck
    (11/27/01 7:48:31 am)
    do you think any of the stuff being captured in Afghanistan will end up as parts kits or imported if C&R?

polishshooter
    (11/27/01 10:39:12 am)
    We speculated on that a while back Fred, not sure if anything will turn up except MAYBE a few Enfields and Mausers...

Most of what they have, 47s, 74s, etc will NEVER see our shores, and somebody said many of the Enfields are locally made of dubious quality, too...

I'm hoping too, though...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

the real fredneck
    (11/27/01 4:54:32 pm)
    yeah polishshooter
    after Desert Storm a friend of mine that was in the 5th Engineers said they spent several days burning up case after case of 7.62X39 and other stuff, finally the CO had them pile up all the AK's, RPK's, RPG7's, ammo etc. wire it up with Iraqi C-4 and blow it all to hell, I was so bummed out about hearing that especially the part where there were some inventive souls that managed to bring home some "souveniers" of course the paperwork confirmed that everything was destroyed

polishshooter
    (11/27/01 6:59:28 pm)
    Bob, talked to SOG today, they still have Polish, I'm going to order a couple at the November ad price...got their December ad and it sucked I thought...

BUT the guy said they had "about 500" of the Russian M44s "Gunsmith Specials," at $34.95 each...he said they are guaranteed bolts and magazines, (?), but they are mostly all complete, just stocks cracked or gouged...

I called back later and got the airhead girl, asked her if they give a price break on them if I bought 5, she said no like she always says without thinking...

When I pick up my Polish, I'm going to ask my buddy Cynthia if I can look at a couple, if they are salvageable I may get one or two, or more if she'll deal with me...I'll let you know what they look like...

Bob In St Louis
    (11/27/01 9:17:09 pm)
    Polish - let me know how the Russians look - I might be interested in a few if they are easily salvageable. I talked to the airhead girl the other day - they really need to do something about her. I wanted a quote for some Hungarian M44s handpicked and polish M44s handpicked - she quoted me a price $25 higher than it was supposed to be - I corrected her, and she said "ahhh - yeah." She also flat out said no Russians left, and didn't bother to tell me about the gunsmith specials. She is definately a deficit to SOG.

Oh yeah - got in two Polish 22 Trainers and three Enfield No. 1 Mk IIIs from SOG today. The Polish trainers look very good, but the Enfields are going to take some work. Some idiot third world arsenal painted the metal work with a brown paint!

polishshooter
    (11/27/01 11:27:10 pm)
    Patina from a can?

Hey Bob, I was in a gunshop in Indy today I've never been in before, he had lots of surplus, mostly from SOG and AIM, still had tags, wasn't too overpriced for his retail...

Saw a few of those Polish trainers... in GREAT shape, but HOW does that "floating chamber" work? Couldn't figure it out, and it must not eject, right? Tip and spill?

Need to get one, and I see the price is coming down at SOG on them, what did you give for them?

He had a nice Swede short rifle for $169...if I'da had the money I might have bought it...

Had cosmo "G" Russians, no rods for $59, Lots of nice Turk Mausers for $69...They DO look nice, don't they...

But almost bought a Blonde Budapest M95 for $99, until I came to my senses...WHY do I like those worthless old straight-pulls? ...but I DO need a Budy to go with my Steyr....

He also had a Ishapore .308 No1MkII for $120 in decent shape, too....

Bob In St Louis
    (11/28/01 8:21:02 am)
    On the Polish 22 Trainers, the receivers appear to be modified M44s. the bottom half of the chamber insert is attached to a sliding rail; as the bolt is pulled backwards, the rail slides back and pulls the cartridge out. From there, it is pluck & fling, or tip & dump.

I am really curious as to the status of the M44 supply. If AIM does not have the stock of laminated M44s in by weeks end, I think I will order a couple of the Russian M44s still in the wraps.