Russian Primers?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by vdsgw, Jan 3, 2012.

1. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

Have you guys used Wolf or Tula primers? Did you have any problems seating,
    or being reliable. I would be using for range loads only.
  2. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

The Commy primers are a Trojan Horse, when the time is right and the Moon is full they will all automatically detonate and cause mass confusion and explosions across the country allowing the Chinese to rush across our unprotected borders and take over America. :)
  3. Waldog

Waldog Member

I have 5000 left out of 15000. They all went BANG. No problems.
  4. PanhandlePop

PanhandlePop Member

No problem with Wolf LP or SP. The are pretty hard and take a little more effort to seat.
  5. res45

res45 New Member

I shoot lots of the wolf primers in both pistol and rifle sizes. Other than a weak firing pin spring coupled with the Wolf LRM primers in one rifle that I later fixed they all went bang.

Incidentally I think the issue with the tight fit may be more a result of the primer pocket size itself rather than the primers. I took some measurements of various primers I have with my precision digital mic and these are the diameters I came up with. I did a random sample of 3 primers from each group and all measurements came out exact as read with no averaging.

Small Pistol

Wolf SP Silver cup 0.175.5"
    Win. SP Gold cup 0.175.5"
    CCI #500 Silver cup 0.175.5"
    CCI #550 Silver cup 0.175.5"
    Fed SP Match Silver cup 0.175"

Small Pistol Magnum

Win. White box with large red W logo.
    Silver cup 0.175.5"

Large Rifle

Win. WLR White box with Orange stripes Silver cup 0.211"
    CCI #200 New Packaging Silver cup 0.210.5"
    CCI BR#2 Silver cup 0.210.5"
    CCI #200 Old White,Red & Green box Silver cup 0.210.5"

Large Rifle Magnum

Fed. #215 Silver cup 0.210"
    CCI #34 Silver cup 0.210.5"
    Wolf LRM Silver cup 0.210"
    CCI #250 Silver cup 0.210"

Small Rifle

Wolf Gold cup 0.175"
    CCI BR#4 Silver cup 0.174.5"

Small Rifle Magnum

Wolf SRM Gold cup 0.175"
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  6. RandyP

RandyP Member

Been reloading with Wolf SPP and LPP for a couple years now - NO negative issues. Hard to complain about $16 a thousand (widener's) for reliable primers.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

$16 a thousand? That's about what I use to pay for Winchester primers at the gun shows before BO (Barack Obama).

LDBennett
  8. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

Thanks for all your input. Its just what I was looking for.
  9. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

As much as I detest Hussein Obama, I do not know how I can honestly blame primer prices on him. That Communist (obvious) Bastard (his birth certificate proves that) would love to outlaw guns, ammunition, and primers, but he has not acted on his wishes as of yet.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  10. Clipper

Clipper Active Member

I like the Wolf primers that I have used, mostly large pistol for my .45's.

I found a box of CC! small pistol magnum primers in my cabinet, I bought them in 1980 something, paid $5.95 per thousand. They still work!

Just after the Big Zero was inaugurated, I was visiting daughter in El Paso. I tried to find large pistol primers, and the shop would only sell me 100 at just a tad over 5 bucks. I don't have that problem any more. Glad the supplies finally caught cup with demand...
  11. res45

res45 New Member

Just to add to the cost I notice on the Powder Valley web site in the shipping info that the Hazmat fee UPS/FedEx charges has went up extra $2. There Wolf prime are still $15.50 to $16 per K which is half price of anything around here.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no problems with them here , maybe 11,000 loaded no hassles so far and they are way cheaper than the rest
  13. mikld

mikld Active Member

I've loaded just under 1,000 Wolf primers, mostly LPM. I believe they are a bit more difficult to seat because they aren't nickel plated as the CCI I previously used...
  14. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

No problems with Wolf or any of the dozens of tins of Nagant ammo I've shot over the years but I did have big problems with a cace of brass cased Ruskie 12GA turkey loads I bought & they were nice shiny pretty but not one would go bang in the 5 12 guages I have. Had to break 'em down for the T-shot & load 'em in new cases. :mad:
  15. NuJudge

NuJudge New Member

These primers, made by Murom in Russia, have been imported by several vendors. I try to only buy US components, but nobody here makes Berdan primers, so I've bought a lot of Murom-made Berdan primers, imported first by PMC and now by TulAmmo.

I've shot quite a few thousand of the Large Rifle Berdan KV-762N, intended for 7.62x51-class cartridges, with no misfires, and precisely one primer pierce. Accuracy has been excellent in 7.5x55 and Albanian 7.62x54R brass, winning me 4 gold medals in the Camp Perry Vintage Military matches.

Recently, TulAmmo imported Large Rifle Berdan KV-24N, intended for 7.62x39-class cartridges, and they work great in that cartridge, but terribly in full size cartridges.
  16. The Duke

The Duke New Member

I just hand primed a couple hundred .45C black powder rounds last evening using Wolf boxer primers...Havent had a chance to shoot them yet, but from what I heard, the go bang every time..

Had a few sorta 'drag' going in to the pocket, but I suspect it was a small or slightly irregular primer pocket as I dont sort much pistol brass, and not a somewhat large primer...
  17. vdsgw

vdsgw New Member

Thanks guys, due to your responses I ordered 10,000 Tula small pistol primers. I loaded 100 9mm and shot them at the range. All 100 fired as expected and I will continue to use them. I noticed 2 things they are a little tighter going into the primer pockets and not as shiny as CCI. But at $15.00 per 1000 the rest of the manufactures better watch out.
  18. al45lc

al45lc New Member

Partially true, but one could say that his anti-gun stance was responsible for the panic buying that drove up prices, just as it was with Clinton.
    On subject; are the Wolf primers corrosive? I have no experience with them.
  19. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I was looking at them wolf primers at a gun show but have heard that people have had some problems with them so i bought the CCI instead. CCI were $3.00 more but i want reliabilty first. Them wolf primers around here are $25.00 per 1,000.
  20. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Nope.

Yeah, if you can get the CCI for only a couple bucks more, I would probably do that. Here locally for me, 1000 CCI or Winchester is $35. Those are the only two the shop in town carries, so those are the only ones I've used.

Shopping online from Midway, CCIs are $30/k, Winchesters are $37/k, and Tulas are $22/k (small pistol). It's a much bigger difference when you're buying ten thousand than it is when you're just buying a thousand, and your order needs to be pretty big to make up for the $25 hazmat fee that UPS and FedEx charge.