russian sks

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by grb45239, Jul 10, 2011.

1. grb45239

grb45239 New Member

have a 1953 russian sks all numbers match also has a star on top with an arrow in the center of it there is an r after the year it is in excellent condition.would like to know approx.value
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

ANY PICTURES?
  3. Bobitis

Bobitis Guest

The problem with the SKS is they're everywhere. You could have bought 100 of them 10 years ago, and they wouldn't be worth much more if you sold em today.
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

With all that said the Russians are starting to command a steeper rice as collectables.Especially the Tula's as he describes.$350 is the cheapest I've seen lately with most in the $450 range.
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Agree with what Permafrost posted. Prices for even the beat us Yugo 59/66 have risen to the $300+ range in this Area (Eastern PA). Russians do attract more attention. Chinese are on the rise also, finally.
  6. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Why are the Russian Tula's worth so much more.Why?Theres a Russian SKS thats been sitting on the wall at a local pawn shop for over a year for $450 dollars.Are they made that much better.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Popular thinking: THE ORIGINAL is always the best. From all the different SKSs that I've seen, handled and shot, I'd say the Russians are close to the top of the heap. I espcially like the Yugo 59/66 that I bought unissued a couple years ago for $149. It's heavier, but very stable; it doesn't have chrome lined barrel and chamber - but I don't shoot corrosive ammo; it doesn't jam; it is pretty darn accurate and it seems well made. My Type 56 Chinese seems flimsier and is definitely lighter and doesn't shoot as accurately. I don't hump a rifle anymore so the weight difference doesn't bother me at the bench or standing on the firing line. The Russians seem to have some sort of panache which increases their collectibility. I've seen one Russian, pre 1989 import NIB with all the "stuff" sell for just under $500 after negotiations. FWIW - an Albanian is the rarest and will usually sell in the $500 to $600 range, add $100 if it has all Albanian parts and not the Chinese made bolt carrier and bolt and gas piston. These are probably the worst fitting and finished pieces I've seen, but are collectible because of the rarity.
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  8. Wildalaska

Wildalaska Former Guest

$350-$450 in original unmessed with condition in excellent shape

WildmustbeunmessedwithemphasizedAlaska ™©2002-2011