Russian Tokarev TT-33

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by CountryGunsmith, Feb 26, 2003.

1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/13/02 11:11:36 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Russian Tokarev TT-33 Value
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thinking about selling mine to surprise my wife with a gift. What are current values of wartime Russian (not current Polish or Chinese) Tokarev TT-33 pistols in Fine - EXC condition? This one is 1945 dated, wide serrations, it has the safety mod above the grip, with two mags and leather holster. I don't have it in hand at the moment, but I believe finish is near perfect (little scratch near the takedown clip), and I think the bore is chrome-lined. Oh, matching numbers barrel/slide/frame (but not mags).

RobC in Missouri

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/14/02 8:15:23 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Russian Tokarev TT-33 Value
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Don't know, Rob, why not ask in CR? They may know.

And I might be interested too....

When did the Feds first start mandating the safety addition before importing?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/15/02 11:20:04 am)
    Probably as a result of GCA 1968 and the point system for importation of handguns. Then there was the period of time between then and 1985 where milsurp wasn't importable.

The ones without the safety mod bring a premium, for obvious reasons. You'll also find some on the market today that have been drilled for the safety but are missing the lever (it's a pretty useless safety anyway).

I did comes across some post-war Russians with the safety hole but no lever for $225 or so. I'm just wondering it the wartime date increases value...

RobC in Missouri

polishshooter
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/15/02 8:45:01 pm)
    I would think so, Rob...if only for the fact they are for sure CR eligible, so more people with licenses would be interested. As well as reenactors....

I notice the Polish ones SOG has are substantially higher for the 1950/51 dated ones because they are advertised as CR eligible, while the other ones are not yet 50 years old so are not...

I was wondering, what would keep a buyer from removing the crappy looking afterthought safety when he owned it?
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

RobC in Missouri
    V.I.P. Member
    (2/19/02 11:44:34 am)
    Removing the safety is pretty trivial - at least it is on the ones where it is above the grip. I've heard the safeties on the Polish TTs are a little more involved, with the trigger being a bit different. Supposedly the importer contracted with the Polish arsenal to install these, so it's a bit more "professionally" done.

Only problem with removing the safety is that you're left with that ugly hole in the frame....

RobC in Missouri