RUSSIAN TOKAREV VIETNAM CAPTURE

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by paddywonka, Sep 25, 2010.

1. paddywonka

paddywonka New Member

Bought this 1947 Russian made Tokarev from a Vietnam vet who brought it home with him in 1967. The frame, slide and barrel match, but not the magazine. Said he never fired or cleaned it since he came back. Just put it up on a shelf in the closet, where it sat till this weekend. Was selling it to help pay off some medical bills. Have not gave it a good cleaning yet, just wiped it down with a treated cloth. Have no idea what they are worth, just never saw one without the added safety lever they put on imported ones. Some photos for your viewing. Any info would be great.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I had an Iraqi one that my 1st Sgt caught me with and it is in the bottom of the Persian Gulf somewhere. I would have never parted with it. The guy must have really needed the $$. I have no idea what it would be worth as a shooter but to a veteran on Vietnam or to a collector of Soviet gear it could bring whatever they are willing to pay. I know that doesn't help but the pic brings back some memories.
  3. paddywonka

paddywonka New Member

To me this pistol reeks with history of a place and time gone by. He did not say just where or how he picked it up, and and I did not press the question. Did give him the $400, he was asking . Thought it was a fare price.
  4. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

A fair price is what you gave. I am sure he didn't want to part with it. I have seen one with the fingerprints of the guy holding it melted into the plastic grips from a thermite grenade going off next to him. If it could only talk.
  5. paddywonka

paddywonka New Member

WOW! A few years back , a buddy of mine offered to sell me his VC SKS rifle he brought back for $100 (needed the cash). There was no finnish left and the stock looked like it had been dragged behind a pick up truck. Always regretted not buying that rifle, so when I had a chance to pick this pistol up,I jumped on it. It was in the low 50's this morning with the wind blowing out of te North here on the south shore of Lake Michigan. The ex GI I bought it from was still wearing his service M-65 field jacket with his name on it. So when he slipped this Tokarev out of his coat pocket, I could not ressist.
  6. paddywonka

paddywonka New Member

Would the stars on the grips have left the factory painted red, or have they been enhanced by someone? Still wondering, what is this pistol worth?
  7. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I believe they are painted. As I recall mine had all rd plastic grips. The SKS would have been cool for the price if it was a real war trophy. I saw a guy at a gun show recently try to tell me that his mossberg 500 that he had spraypainted green was used in Vietnam. It looked like he had just painted it too.
  8. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

the sks i have is an early chinese one... and the friend i got it off of told me when i got it, years back, that the guy he got it off of said it was captured vietnam bring backs.

however... i dont know, just a story
  9. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I think alot of the early ones were chi com. The one I had was brand new,chinese,detact mags and was $100. SO MANY TRADES AGO....
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I saw one of these, brought back across the border from Cambodia by a Cambodian merc working with a SF team, along the Parrots Beak, early summer 1969. He was showing it to some of the SF officers when he was offered $25 in MPCs - he took it. What's something like that worth today? - probably well in excess of $1000. I bought a Russian made TT33 about ten years ago, it had E. German proof marks on it, also - for $600. The one you post of would be worth more with capture papers, if the gent has them.
  11. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Purely as a gun, the price is a bit high. As a piece of history, I think the price was fair, plus he must have really needed the money. It is a bit worn, but that never mattered to a Tokarev, they are built like tanks.

Jim
  12. 199er

199er New Member

I got one off an NVA intell officer along with 2 AKs from his 'pizzos' on a early morning ambush 22 Dec 69 in War Zone D. I kept his pistol belt and buckle and gave the pistol (we called them K 54s) to my platoon leader...........I couldn't stand to watch him 'drool'. He still has it and shoots it sometimes. Memories, memories.

BTW, I can still wear the NVA belt & buckle and do when I attend VN related events.
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  13. paddywonka

paddywonka New Member

Well not sure what a fair price is either. He was asking $400, and that is what I gave him. Have owned a Polish and Romanian , and currently a Yugo Model 57 Tokarev(the best of the bunch IMO). $250 was the most I gave for any of them, and they were in like new condition. This one had no import mark or added on safety lever. But as far as condition, though the finnish is poor, mechanicly it is very good. They say never buy the story, and with this pistol it was not much of one told. But have never come across a Nam bring back, so paid what he was asking. What ever this Tokarev is worth I'm not sure but we both walked away happy. As far as capture papers went, I asked. He remembered needing them to bring the pistol home, but said he never kept them.
  14. 199er

199er New Member

I can believe that. In 1970 I brought a Chicom SKS home and put it up at my Mom's house. It stayed there until she passed away in 1990 then I brought to my house and kept it put away until 2002 when I donated it 199th Light Infantry Brigade Association (Separate).

Our 70+ man rifle company got 120 new SKSs out of a huge cash site named "Rock Island East" in the Fishook area of Cambodia during the May-June 1970 Incursion . All these years I never cared about shooting that weapon.

I have no idea what it would be worth either but it seems to me if you had the authorization papers to bring it out of Nam that would 'authenicate' it as a war trophy/souvenier and add a premium to the value of the pistol.

That being said, you're happy with the pistol so was a 'good deal'!!
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  15. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Back in the late 1970's, I was offered a hand made copy of a .45 1911 brought back from Nam. It was only $100.00, but I did not have $100.00 in cash on me, so the vet sold it to someone else at the show.