Russian Winchester rimfire bolt guns.....

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Tony Mig, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

Has anyone here purchased, shot, or even handled one of these new Winchester Wildcat bolt rifles yet....?

I've read that they're made in Russia at the TOZ armory, who are noted for producing good quality actions and barrels, imported by Browning who now owns the Winchester Repeating Arms name, and are being sold for under $300.00 with a nice dark wood stock, decent iron sights, and they come with one 5 round mag plus three 10 round mags....

Rumor has it they have good accuracy, but I haven't heard anything about how well the action or trigger is......???
  2. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Friend of mine in Dallas bought one (before Winchester/Browning) took over the import of these and changed the name. Thing shot so good that he bought three more. He says accuracy is outstanding...less than 1" groups at 50 yds with open sights. I was going to buy one, but when I went to the importer's website, they were sold out. :(

Currently being sold as a Winchester. Local Bass Pro has offered them in their Sunday sales flyer for $169.99. Stocks on the "new" ones are a bit prettier than the the ones on the "Russian" imports.

If all they did was change the cosmetics on the wood, it should be a great shooter.

John
  3. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

As far as I know John, they are still being made at TOZ in Russia, the only differance being that Browning now owns the name and rights to Winchester Repeating Arms.

There is also listed a heavy barrel target / varmit model with no iron sights, but no one has actually seen one yet, and Davidson's Gallery of Guns has yet to list them as "in stock". However I'd want the standard model with the thinner barrel and iron sights.
    From all accounts to date, it has been reported to be a very accurate rimfire rifle, especially for the price bracket, but no one has commented on the working action of the bolt, or the trigger....:confused:
  4. nolacajun

nolacajun New Member

Well...my buddy bought 4 of them, so I'm guessing that the bolt and trigger assy's worked okay. Of course, doing a trigger job on one is no big deal, but he didn't say that he thought the trigger pull was 'bad.'

And yeah, they are still being made by TOZ.

John
  5. ogogog

ogogog New Member

i have one of thies TOZ built Wildcats and its a great little gun, very accurate, light and just plain fun to shoot, i have a BSA sweet .22 scope on mine and it shoots pretty tight groups at 50 yards, cant wait to get it on the 100 yard range to see how well it will shoot.

Joe
  6. rangerruck

rangerruck New Member

everything above mentioned is true, a trigger job is simple enough on these, if you would like it lightened. the biggest thing here is the wood, it can range from dark, to firetruck orange/red, and it's fit can be like you cut a hole in the bottom of a bamboo section, and dropped it in.
  7. Kugelspritzer

Kugelspritzer New Member

Hey guys, been snooping around here for some time and this is my first post/question. I have one of these little guns and I think, for the money they'er Great! I put one of those BSA sweet 22 scopes on it and it's pretty darn accurate. My only real complaints are the stiff action and the heavy trigger. So Rangerruck, how bout explaining that simple trigger job. I've kinda worked the bolt enough to ease the action a little, but the trigger... Oh yeah a little on my background. I've built a few AK's and reworked quite a few pistols, from 1911's to Glocks so it's not like I'm afraid to dig into it, just would prefer a little guidance. Thanks in advance.:):)
  8. Kugelspritzer

Kugelspritzer New Member

Ok guys now I've gone and done it...:confused: I shot at a tree rat today with low powered CBEE's hit it but didn't kill it. When I went to eject the spent round, (trying to keep an eye of fuzzy tail,) the round didn't eject. I mean it came out of the chamber, but I wasn't using enough force to make it clear the bolt and I kinda got a double feed. Naturally by the time I cleared it, the target was gone. Out of frustration I decided to tear in to this thing flying blind. Well I got the trigger assembly worked and back together minnus one key element. That stupid safety spring. It's purpose is to keep the safety selector in place. When I took the trigger assembly out the spring just feel out and I can see no obvious point to attach it. I downloaded a parts diagram from Winchester, practically useless. Please help! I need a picture of one, (I know should've taken one myself.) It looked too simple. Thanks in advance.
  9. Kugelspritzer

Kugelspritzer New Member

Ok what everybody said is soooo true. These things are basically a TOZ-78. I couldn't find anything on the web about the Winchester, but sure enough typed in TOZ-78 and clicked images and there it was. Somebody had went through their TOZ and took pictures. The spring for the safety actually goes in a indention on the bottom of the barrel and a hole in the safety's shaft. I'll try to post some pictures latter.:eek::eek::D
  10. pawn

pawn New Member

Yes, very close to TOZ-78 if not the same rifle. Wood could be better but an excellent sporter rifle for the money IMHO !
  11. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Jim is one of the "old guys" at the range and has been shooting this Win. Wildcat for better than a year now. It has a BSA Sweet 22 scope. The rifle is the target/varmint version. He is now to the point of getting nickle to quarter sized one hole groups at 50 yards and can hit the golf ball at 100 yards about half the time. He paid less than $300 for the rifle and is well pleased with it and has had no issues.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013