Russion military rifle questions

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by jteeguarden, Aug 8, 2009.

1. jteeguarden

jteeguarden New Member

Hello out there,

First time here; just found it. I have long been interested in acquiring one of these rifles primarily for fun shooting. I finally went to a local chain sporting goods store that sells the Mosin Nagant rifles from time to time for a very low price. The rifle itself, age unknown to me or the seller, seems to be in very good shape. I was able to get a look at the rifling at the breech end half of the barrel and it looks good. The muzzle looks good with no nicks or mars that I can see. I was hoping someone can tell me more about this rifle and some tips on what things to look for that would help me evaluate if this particular rifle is in as good a shape as it appears to be. Where do these come from? What is their actual military use history? Have they been used and abused and then cleaned up and imported to the US for sale. I have read a bit about the Mosin Nagant and read some good reviews of them but have never really talked to anyone who knows much about them. Accuracy? The front sight is very crude; it looks like a metal punched post sight with no milling or smoothing at all.

The caliber is 7.62X54r. What does the "r" mean. Is this a special ,hard to find ammo? Or does it just eat plain old 7.62X54 ammo?

This weapon comes with the bayonet, original cartridge case, a new cartridge case, sling, oil can. It has a lot of cosomoline on it as well. It really does not show much use looking at it from the outside. I have no idea what other things to look for that would make me shy away from this rifle. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Oh, I believe the Model is M/91/30 or something like that.

Jason
  2. Rocket J Squirl

Rocket J Squirl New Member

RIMMED

It is one of a handful of rimmed cartridges

and the most used round in the world
  3. The Rebel

The Rebel New Member

7.62x54R Means it's a 7.62x54 "Rimmed Cartridge" ~ The top of the chamber is either hexed or round. The older ones (mine hex 1928) and the newer ones are rounded. There should be a date on the top of the chamber. They do have a pretty good "Recoil" and mine also has a "Light Trigger." I got mine last year for $90.00 with those accessories also. The Ammunition is readily available also. Just look for the "Usual" things ~ Crown, Bore, Action, Wear & Stock Condition... Etc. Mine shoots a good grouping. :D Am pleased with my Mosin Nagant. Check out Mosin Nagant Rifle on "Google" search engine and see what's there for more information on the Russian Weapon ~

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  4. big steve

big steve New Member

I dont know if there is a Cabelas near you but they have tons of russian WWII rifles such as the mosin nagant in their gun library and used guns section but thats a lace i know that definetly has them
    Regards,
    Steve
  5. Will_G

Will_G New Member

Jason,

I'm a bit late in seeing this, but if you have not seen this site, you will probably find it VERY helpful as it has a wealth of information on Mosins!

http://7.62x54r.net/

Will