1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Rust in my RCBS mold

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by gdmoody, Oct 24, 2012.

1. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Rant on:

I went out this morning intending to mold up a bunch of 150 grain Keith Type .38 bullets. The little suckers just would not come out right. There are little dimples all over the nose of the finished bullets. I examined the cavities to find rust in them. When I get through molding, I always leave the last lead pour in the mold to prevent this from happening. I have been doing that for years and have never had this happen before. I only have three RCBS molds, with this being one of them. I use mostly Lee bullet molds which are aluminum so this doesn't happen to them. I still leave the last pour in the Lee molds also.

I have a dremel tool and I had a small wire brush in the case, of course when I went to get it to clean out the rusted cavities, the wire brush is no where to be found. So now I have to buy some brass brushes for the dremel tool before I mold any more bullets from that mold. It was not a complete waste of time, cause I did get some 102 grain .380 bullets and some 240 grain .44 bullets molded with the Lee stuff.

I just hate it when things don't work the way you have in mind.

Rant over, thanks for allowing me to vent a little!