Rust prevention in carbon steel knives

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by D.Mathews, Oct 22, 2011.

1. D.Mathews

D.Mathews New Member

Wd-40 and regular gun oil work well but one thing i found that is even better is to clean the blade very well and put a thin coat of mink oil used for leather on the blade this works very well for me. :)
  2. H-D

H-D Active Member

Rennisance wax works well I use it on damascus blades
  3. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

If these were culinary knives, I think I would go with a trace of food grade Mineral Oil.
  4. Old Grump

Old Grump New Member

Little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    I'm not to fussy, whatever cooking oil I have on hand if the knife isn't going to be used for awhile. Olive oil, Wesson oil, Pam anything. A little dab on a paper towel and wipe on, Don't even have to see it, I know its there. My favorite kitchen knife was bought on my honeymoon in 68 at a grocery store in Iowa. Cost me a dollar at the check out counter, high carbon and rusts easily but takes an edge easier than any other knife I have. When it does get a little surface rust the same cooking oil and a paper towel takes it right off. couldn't imagine going camping without it, I'd rather forget matches than that knife and it probably gets more use in the kitchen than all my other knives put together including my Chicago Knife set.
  5. D.Mathews

D.Mathews New Member

Oh thanks guys ill have to try the rest of these glad i could spark a conversation
  6. dustydog

dustydog New Member

+1 on the olive oil,use it for rust prevention on all the work knives I make,and also use it as a treatment on the leather sheaths.Helps preserve and waterproof the leather,does not go rancid,and does not leave a nasty taste if you use the knife for food prep.
  7. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Olive oil here too!
  8. coachwill

coachwill Forum Sponsor

Well I use FrogLube on mine now...it helps that I sell the stuff but it works wonders on all rust and being a food grade product and not an oil of any kind is great for me.