Rust prevention, press components

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by smlranger, Jul 23, 2012.

1. smlranger

smlranger New Member

Access to my range is nearly nil during the summer since 4H uses it. Also, summer activities have me shooting little so I have not loaded ammo in couple of months. I have some rust forming on the powder measure and on the baffle in the measure. A little gun oil should do the trick but was wondering if anyone here has other tricks?
  2. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

On the parts with no contact with powder, I apply a very light coat of paste wax after the area is all cleaned up.
  3. Kevin Rohrer

Kevin Rohrer Member

Tricks to prevent rust:
    1. Store in a dry area or use a dehumidifier and keep the humidity in the 50-55% range.
    2. Keep bare and blued metal covered in a good oil like Breakfree or RemOil.
  4. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I agree with Brisk. I use car wax. Seems to work just fine and the powder won't stick to it.
    Also seems to help prevent static build-up in the powder hopper too...but I might be imagining that.
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have always been fortunate. I have never had a problem with rust on my E.Q. However I always have a shop towel with WD-40 and I wipe my stuff down with that. WD-40 dissipates water so you can wipe stuff down with it and it leaves a nice protective coating on whatever you wiped down. I usually wipe my stuff down after each use.
  7. aa1911

aa1911 Active Member

I grease (automotive grease) all moving parts except anything that is near powder, any other exposed metal surfaces get wiped with LPS 3, a very very effective rust inhibitor; one can is like $15 but it lasts years.

http://www.lpslabs.com/product_pg/corrosion_pg/LPS3.html

my presses are in a non-insulated non-heated garage, I have no idea how they have not rusted here in WA but the LPS really helps I believe. I grease 'em down about once a month.

For long term in betweens, a cover would probably help also, even if it's just an old towel or similar.
  8. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's like my garage. In the summer my garage roasts, and in the winter it freezes but I have never had an issue with rust. When I go to the gun shows I see alot of rusty reloading equipment and it makes me realize the importance of keeping stuff wiped down. I don't think it matters too much what you use just as long as you use it.